StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
I moved over to this forum when I traded in my KLR685 for my '12 Wee. The past two years we've had a motorcycle camping weekend - the KLR crowd. Good group of riders and I've retained my membership on that forum just for that reason.
I've just posted the dates for this years camp out. I'd like to invite any VStrom riders who are interested in joining us.
The camp out site is the #1 group site at Mohawk Trail State Forest, which is just a few miles west of the town of Charlemont, MA on Route 2 (Mohawk Trail). There's great road riding and great trail riding available. The group site is advertised to accomodate 50 campers and 12 vehicles. I think we can argue that 24 "two wheeled" vehicles should be ok. We're easier on the environment anyway. In the past two years we've seen anywhere from 6 - 10 riders show up, so I'm not too worried about the 50 camper limit. But should it come to overcrowding lol, other campsites can be rented very cheaply. The cost of this group site is my treat. Just gotta bring yourselves, your gear, ect. There are also some motels along Route 2 for any who may want more ammenities than camping has to offer. They place sani cans near the site and a 5 minute walk down the dirt road yeilds housed flush toilets and hot showers.
The dates this year is Friday, June 14 - Monday, June 17. Please log in to this thread with any interest or questions. :)
gary
Trying to post some pics from last year....

Wadda y'all think? :) g

·
Registered
15,094 Posts
Nice invite but don't some of the riders like to be brand specific? the Camp out could become a free for all.
I get a ration of crap when I show up on my Wee at BMW rallies. Mostly from my friends! I only camp with mean people!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not brand specific at all. This is a camp out is for anybody layin' down a single track. I know the KLRistas are all very open minded and many of them have more than one bike. I think we'd all profit by the differing points of view and experiences of other riders/brands. It's MY camp out and that's what I say it is! lol. I've been hesitant to post this invite on ADVRider because of the sheer size of their roster. Don't want it to get overrun. So, for this year, anyway, I'm limiting to these two forums. I'm totally confidant we'll all be comfortable with ourselves and our choices of our rides. Come join us, you'll meet some really cool, talented, knowedgable riders. I promise. And anyway, any differences can be settled in a game of high stakes poker! :)
g

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sounds like a good time! Thanks for opening it up to us Stromtroopers. Puttin' it on my calendar and gettin' to strategizing my camping gear. Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was looking at the picks trying to figure out where that campground is when-whoa- I realized there was no beer on the picknic table!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everybody's gonna bring SOMETHING to the mix. Shall we put you down for beer? lol Good observation! I think we all drank beer, but it was after the rides were put away for the evening and the campfire was aflame. It's BYOB, by the way. You're in Springfield? I grew up in Forest Park neighborhood a long time ago. It was an awesome place to spend a childhood in the 50's and 60's. :)
By the way, that's the group site at Mohawk Trail State Forest.
g

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I may make this because I am considering the NEVA14 to be in the Berkshire as some great roads a days worth of dirt roads as well as some legendary TMT 116 Zoar and Greylock

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Thanks for the invite! Welcome to the forum. It should be a very easy shakedown weekend for me. I'm only a half hour away and have always wanted an excuse to check the place out. There's some old growth pine trees in there reputed to be over 100 feet tall...
After plowing a foot of fresh snow today, it's an especially nice carrot!:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sounds good!
I'm not sure I can join this year.

You are also invited to the 2013 NE VStrom Rally - See my signature below.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the invite! Welcome to the forum. It should be a very easy shakedown weekend for me. I'm only a half hour away and have always wanted an excuse to check the place out. There's some old growth pine trees in there reputed to be over 100 feet tall...
After plowing a foot of fresh snow today, it's an especially nice carrot!:yesnod:
sbeadg,
Absolutely true. MTSF ( Mohawk Trail State Forest ) was, one year, voted as one of the ten most beautiful STATE forests in the country...don't TELL anybody! And there are many old, hundred plus, white pines in there. The Cold River runs through it and is known to be the steepest two mile stretch of any river in, I think, New England. Flash floods like NOBODY'S business. The area was very hard hit by Hurricane Irene a couple of years ago and much of the beauty of the place down along the river was lost. Gonna take it a long time to recover. The group site I've reserved is uphill a ways from the river and is a much more private and quiet location from the rest of the campground. I do hope you can make it.
What part of west Massachusetts are you from? I'm in Feeding Hills.
Ride safe, all. :)
g

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was amazed last year by the number of major landslides and big trees down along the Cold River as I rode through on the freshly paved roadway. Makes for a nice ride on a hot summer day, too, because of the significant temperature drop you feel on the way through.

I just picked up an inexpensive air mattress and air pump at MalWart in prep for the campout. It's been awhile since I've slept on the ground and I'll be a cranky SOB if I don't get a decent night's sleep. :furious:

Would you happen to know names of nearby motels? My riding buddy insists on a motel room with the excuse that he needs power to plug in his sleep apnea pump-thingamajig. (Guess he won't be coming when I ride up to Lake Willoughby in northern VT this summer.) I know there's those little cabins along the river in Charlemont but I don't recall seeing any other motel-type accomodations along the way.

BTW, the Mohawk Trail a/k/a Route 2 has an interesting history as a roadway. Before the Mass Pike/Route 90 came along, Route 2 was THE major thoroughfare to get from Boston out to New York state and points west and, in its heyday, was sprinkled with all sorts of "travellers' cabins" and roadhouses along the way.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's true of Rte 2. I'm guessing it was the main E/W route for the Mohawk and Mahigan (? spelling) native Americans, also.
Anyway to your question. Yes, there are several motels along the way. The only one I can think of is a place called Red Rose. The little cabins at Mohawk Park would be awesome, as that's a place we'll be sure to be dining. If your bud can reserve one of those cabins, his will be a popular hangout fer sher! I'll be sleeing in a Big Agnes sleeping bag/air pad rig in a little two man tent. At 62, not the easiest thing to do. Can't get the wifey to drive the 2500 diesel and haul the big pop-up camper up!! lol
Looking forward to meeting you and many other new friends. Along with hooking up with old.
Ride safe. :)
gary

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yeah, the Mohicans travelled from New York to raid, plunder and kill enemy tribes in eastern Massachusetts. Not a pretty thought.

Thanks for the Red Rose heads up. Looking at the pictures of the place, I do recall zooming past it on Route 2.

Now just for my own clarification, the Mohawk Trail State Forest campground YOU have made reservations at is the one that is accessed off Route 8A, yes? I guess I had a different location in my mind's eye.

Admittedly, I'd way rather sleep on a box spring and mattress in a motel BUT I want to do some exploring on my bike and, knowing that there won't always be a comfy motel where I travel, I'd better get my camping gear in good order. This campout will be a good test provided I don't get an opportunity to try it out earlier this season.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mohawk Trail State Forest is right on Rte 2 ( Mohawk Trail ). It's about 3 or 4 miles past the town of Charlemont, MA traveling east to west. About 20 miles west of the I-91 / Rte 2 intersection in Greenfield MA. At that intersection you take Rte 2 west. Y'know, Baba, another thought for your buddy is renting one of the Mohawk Trail State Forest cabins. They have power. But I doubt he can find one that's not already reserved for that weekend. But it's worth a shot. You have to reserve through a company called:
ReserveAmerica.com . Just a thought.

Mohawk Trail State Forest

g

·
Registered
898 Posts
Y'know, Baba, another thought for your buddy is renting one of the Mohawk Trail State Forest cabins. They have power. But I doubt he can find one that's not already reserved for that weekend.
I already tried. The cabins are all booked.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Gary: I just posted a new thread about running into you yesterday! Jeesh! Small world and very cool. See you at the campout!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Are you referring to "The Peace Trees"? I was out there last year with a buddy trying to figure out where those are but we came up empty.
I don't know. The old pines in the campground make it feel like being in a cathedral. John Muir talked alot about that...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts