StromTrooper banner

marbles

1899 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  PTRider
Quick question gurus,

I have 510 miles on the clock of my 2011 Wee. Each time I start her up it sounds like a bunch of marbles in the motor. It quickly goes away in around 2 seconds. Sounds like a cam chain tensioner or maybe thats a charachteristic of the bike. Anyone else notice this? Im not to concerned but was curious.

Thank you,

Mark
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,596 Posts
If it was the cam chain tension, not tensioned because it has not reached the ratchet up tighter point, I think the noise would continue a little longer than 2 seconds. Could it be preignition or pinging? In any case I would have the dealer look at it.:yesnod:

· Registered
729 Posts
I've notice this too. I just figured it was the starter winding down or some such thing. I'll be watching this thread to see what other opinions are posted. I think it would be advantageous to have a knowledgeable contributor listen to this sound. I don't trust the mechanics at the dealer because I fear they would "diagnose" something just to make money. Is there anyone in Central Kentucky that wants to hear my bike do this?

· Registered
5,456 Posts
At least in years past Suzuki starters were infamous for that "can of marbles" sound. When I had an 1100 Virago I used to see comments on the owner's forum all the time. There was some sort of shimming kit/procedure to correct it, IIRC.

I don't notice it with my '07 Wee, though. It may be that yours is not disengaging soon enough after ther engine turns over. Does it make the same sound if you momentarily crank and release before the engine starts?

· Registered
3,701 Posts
You using synthetic oil?

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill try the crank and release when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dino oil hasent seen its 600 mile oil change yet. Nut I wont be using synthetic anyway. I like Dino oil, less noise on my other bikes.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can only crank for a split second for testing or the bike will start, but I do hear the beggining of the marbles. Sounds like a noisy starter. No worries and thanks for the suggestion Mike B.

· Registered
459 Posts
It probably is normal but there was someone recently on this board, VSRI or ADVRider (can't find the post) with a brand new 650 that was shipped with a faulty starter and was having warranty problems. Next time you are near a Suzi dealer it may be an idea to have them listen to it.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
I remember that. I'm not sure if the noisy starter is likely to fail, but the replacement start on that bike was quiet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.