StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything similar to the Harbour Freight Tire changer available here?
I have a new set of tires on the way from Ebay,and I want to be able to put them on myself....

·
Registered
26 Posts
princess auto carries one.motorcycle tire changing attachment $59.99 part number8155236, must be used with tire changer $64.99part number 2050002page 348 of the spring/summer catalog. looks very similiar to the one at HF.
They do ship stuff so you can order online if there isn't a Princess Auto near you.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'll try to find the previous post somewhere - there was an issue a reader reported using the PA tire changer on Strom wheels. Something about the centre post being too large for the diameter of the axle hole on the wheel?

Safe rides
Bob

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I haven't been able to find how to do this properly but here is the reply I got earlier in year regarding tire irons and changers. Reply courtesy of PXX - near London, Ont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbell
Read the recent post re: changing own rubber. Definitely going to try it and have a couple of questions:
1) is there any length of tire irons that is better than another (realize longer is better leverage but any thoughts on what might be "too long" to be practical)
2) Anyone have any experience with the Princess Auto tire stand and changer attachment for bike tires - I have a gift certificate that is starting to burn a hole in my pocket and if possible would like to get the unit(s) in Canada if practical.

Appreciate any thoughts from the collective.

Bob

I have the Princess Auto tire changer set up. The base works well to break the bead. The Motorcycle tire adapter isn't worth the money. It won't grab the Strom's rim. Plus the center dowel rod is too large to fit through the bearing. It would probably work if you removed the rotors and the bearings I have the tire irons from there as well. They have 2 ridges on the back side that leave marks on the rims, I ground mine smooth......after. Get the base for the bead breaker, Skip the motorcycle tire adapter and have a strong (heavy) friend help hold the rim. I laid my rim on a couple of 2x4 on the floor(after I broke the bead) Had a buddy help hold the rim. Worked like a charm

Paul
05 DL650

·
Registered
115 Posts
RHBELL beat me to the reply i see. I did have issues with the princess auto tire changer. I did some searching around this site and found thesehttp://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm As the changer from P.A. is a bit different, I'll have to make my own but it should clear up the issue of the end tabs not being quite high enough to comfortably grab the V-strom's rim. As for the center dowel, I'm not 100% sure it is even nessasary if you have tire irons. I think it is for using the huge bar that comes with the base. The most unfortunate thing is that the instructions are vague to the point of uselessness (is that a word???) I haven't looked at the changer since I changed my tires. If I wasn't trying to run the tread off the new hides, I might actually figure out how to make it work. It's all a learning experience right?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys,looks like more research is in order...:confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I mount all my own tires and just use 2 good tire levers and cut up pieces of ice cream pale to protect the rim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A bike mechanic buddy of mine told me a long time ago that long tire irons are only good for breaking things. You should never have to use irons longer than 9" or so, if you do you are probably doing something wrong. I use a pair of 15" irons but am always careful. remember to lube up the rim really good and take your time and if it suddenly gets hard the bead probably fell out of the center groove of the rim.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
man I really need to try that...its not the front wheel that makes me nervous though...great write up, thanks
I've done the rear wheel the same way. Well, almost the same way. I did it in a campground in the La Tuque area. It was being in a situation that forced me to do it "on the road" that gave me the confidence to do the front and do the write up. It's pretty easy to do and gets easier with each one.

Set a few hours of a weekend day aside and just take your time and think through every step. You will enjoy the feeling of accomplishing this task.

Good luck.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts