StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably not news to most of you.

I have had my Roadcrafter for over 100,000 miles of riding and some of the Velcro no longer held. Worst part was the neck area which when not snug lets water and cold drafts in. I read somewhere here that someone had sent their Roadcrafter back to Aerostich to be refreshed and that they had "combed" the Velcro.

A few days ago I took a look at my Velcro and relized there was no rocket science to it. I got out a comb and started combing the hook part of the Velcro. The hook part was so covered with cloth that most of it didn't hold anything anymore. I got a huge amount of cloth bits off it and also trimmed any parts of the cloth part that wasn't flush with the rest. Now the velcro is back to being like new again.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Good tip, I will add to it. Velcro has a life span measured in number of fastenings. When I remove anything with velcro I do not restick the velcro together for storage, I fold the hooks pieces under the loops (unconnected)and store that way. The result, 1/2 the wear and velcro lasts much longer.

Now, to try the comb on my neck collar of my Scorpion coat. I was going to install a snap instead.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
I'se knowed about that velcro trick many long time. The little hooks do eventually break and it won't hold onto the loops no mo. I sent my Raodcrafter back after 5 years of wear for zipper repair and velcro fix. The repairs were about $200. It worked OK for a while but after a couple more years the velcro is crap and the right leg pocket zipper broke and the long left leg zipper is getting ready to fail. I guess when you wear the holy heck out of something and put umpteen zillion miles on the suit it has a right to die. Phooey!
Where there is factory velcro the suit fabric is shredding due to abrasion.
I'da probably worn out a couple competitors suits by now with the same use. It was still dry in some recent squall conditions east of the Sierras on 395.
Overall, a good product!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
When it is worn-out and can't stick anymore take to it with a grinder, remove all the old hooks, it's quite easy to do.

Then use contact cement to glue some new stuff in place, put contact cement on both surfaces and allow to dry for 20 minutes before putting together, clamp if possible.

Contact cement is great for many things when used in this way, split seams or adding patches, I make my own straps and use the cement instead of sewing the buckles on I glue them.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
I found a little bottle of Velcro adhesive at the fabric store, I think. Kinda like super glue. seemed to make the velcro stick again. I was surprised to find a brand specif product.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a little bottle of Velcro adhesive at the fabric store, I think. Kinda like super glue. seemed to make the velcro stick again. I was surprised to find a brand specif product.
Was this for sticking Velcro onto cloth?

..Tom

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
We do this on flight suits and other flight gear at work. Brings it back to life usually. If not replacing Velcro is pretty straight forward. But on a water resistant garment this could cause issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts