StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always annoyed me that the red plastic inserts on the OEM luggage aren't reflective, as they should be. It pissed me off even more when Suzuki had to issue a recall to add reflectors to the side cases for that very reason, and chose to add stick-on things rather than replacing the old inserts with reflective ones. :furious:

I wasn't thinking about that at all this last weekend when I decided to remove those inserts, just to see if I might be able to cram some LED lighting under there. That was enough to kill the LED idea, but it reminded me of the non-reflective problem.

Underneath those red plastic bits are a white plastic pieces - nicely moulded for the side cases but just sheets of flat material for the top case. These give some glow to the red inserts which would otherwise look rather dull against the black plastic of the case.

And then the light bulb went on! If I clad the white plastic backer bits with white reflective vinyl, shouldn't I get reflective inserts? Not as effective as if the inserts were reflectors, but in theory it should be more than good enough to notice.

A trip to the friendly local vinyl graphics shop secured the end of a roll of reflective white for a good price, and so it was time to experiment.

I did just one of the side cases first so I could compare reflectivity, and gave them the camera flash test:

Good enough for me! :thumbup:

Next will be the top case, but those floppy white plastic backers are a problem. They pucker at the edges from the complex curvature, and while this isn't too noticeable with non-reflective material it would really stand out once reflective. I have an idea to try there too...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I see you didn't bother to have the reflector recall done either :thumbup:

Nice job, its on my list now for this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did the same thing on my Givi E52, only I used red retro-reflective tape. Looks like a road flare in the headlights. :thumbup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi

Did you actually use white reflective material, or the "clear" coloured stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Brilliant!

OK, maybe not exactly brilliant, but awfully darn close and a super terrific idea! :hurray: I will be headed to get me some material this afternoon. Thank you!

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
That looks great, have thought about doing that to mine also... Just dumb they put all that plastic but not refective......

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
I got the reflective tape the truckers use. Put it under the red plastic on the JCWhitnety box too. Shiny in the dark is good!
That and the reflective black sheet to out line the bags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts