StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been decreed that we will have a coffee maker when we make a trip of more than one day and are camping.

I figure in my limited electrical knowledge that I can get two headlight cutouts and a 12v outlet from the Beaver. Even though one of these things is 100-150w I think the system can handle it if the headlights are off. Please correct me if I am wrong.

However they have brew times in the 20 minute range.

Will it hurt the bike to:
1. Draw 100 watts through a single 12v outlet for 20 minutes?
2. Idle for 20 minutes?

To answer the questions before hand. We don't want cooking stoves, open fires we have to extinguish before we leave or to carry the self heating cans of coffee. I know I can get coffee at any gas station but she won't get up till coffee is ready and isn't worth talking to until she has it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Find someway to heat your water and use this:

AeroPress

It makes an espresso like shot that you top up with hot water for an Americano style coffee. I actually ditched my coffee maker at home to use this daily because I find it makes less bitter coffee. The other perk -- it is nice and small...

PS - Not sure on the electrical side of the equation...

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
All it takes is patience.

Bitter Born,

I have done it.

I have a small 12/120 volt percolator made by NESCO. The paper with it says it is model 1660-58. It plugs into the wall, and makes 4 cups or two mugs of coffee in 12 to 14 minutes using 435 watts of 120 volts AC. With an adapter, it plugs into a cigarette lighter and makes coffee in about half an hour, using a separate 165-watt heater. I have a lighter socket on my Wee-Strom, wired through a 20-ampere fuse to the battery. The fuse holder gets hotter than I want it to, so I am going to solder the fuse into the circuit. The improved connection will prevent overheating at the fuse.

I run the coffeepot ten minutes, then start the engine and run it until the coffee is ready. My 2006 DL650 with its original battery is happy to start the engine after ten minutes of making coffee, but I don't want to risk having a dead battery, so perhaps I waste some gasoline.

http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=1200

The above link does not seem to disgorge any coffeepots, so perhaps they have stopped making them.

It's cute how they simplify the use of this pot. The wire has three conductors in it. The 120-volt heater is wired to the two prongs of an ordinary 120-volt plug. A hole (not centered) between the plug's prongs attaches to the 12-volt heater, so a little adapter fits between the ordinary-appearing plug and the 12-volt receptacle.

The pot is made in Two Rivers WI, by the Metal Ware Corporation. Long ago I complained to that company about the early demise of the heater in another entirely different coffeepot, and they sent me a replacement element at once, with a cordial letter of apology. The pot worked many years after that.

I will be depending on my coffeepot while I am riding near James Bay in northern Québec this summer. If you want one like mine, I hope that you find it.

Good hunting,
Keith

P.S. Here's the blurb that comes with the pot:

PPS This might be faster: I haven't tried it.

http://www.12vautotech.com/mini_coffee.html

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
I don't think it is the smartest thing to try and do, and I too would go for the simple portable options. Or........you can develop a taste for Redbull, Amp, NOS and Monster energy drinks, your problem is solved.;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like her too much for that;)
besides I need her around to pitch the tent since I will be exhausted from all the driving
(pitch the tent?) Sorry my mind is in the gutter again,anyway i use the jet boil and coffe in single serving bags and the coffee is good.I always hated having to break camp before i had a cup off coffee.

·
Registered
44 Posts
since you have one is it glass or acrylic?
Aeropress

Acrylic maybe -- it is some type of plastic, packs up about the size of a can of Coke. I really am pleased with it -- it consistently makes better coffee than you would buy at Starbucks (dependent on beans). I have probably used it 400+ times and it still looks/functions like the day I bought it.

The long story short is that it is similar to french press coffee there are however differences: it has a paper filter so there is no sediment, and you do use pressure to extract so you don't have to let the beans sit as long, thus lowering the bitterness of the coffee.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright then what are alternative methods of heating water for the wonderful coffee press(especially if it is the size of a coke can) Without starting a fire or carrying fuel for a stove?

Do I wrap the tailpipe in copper tubing under the heat shield and run water through it?
Or do I go with some sort of electric water heater doo hickey

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
alright then what are alternative methods of heating water for the wonderful coffee press(especially if it is the size of a coke can) Without starting a fire or carrying fuel for a stove?

Do I wrap the tailpipe in copper tubing under the heat shield and run water through it?
Or do I go with some sort of electric water heater doo hickey
You could maybe get a hot pot - I had a small one in college that I used to heat up Ramen noodles and such. They boil water in a flash so you wouldn't have the wait time of the coffee maker. Should just plug into an adaptor. Not sure what they draw, though.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
anyway i use the jet boil and coffe in single serving bags and the coffee is good.I always hated having to break camp before i had a cup off coffee.
Works for me!! I take a few breakfast bars, those and a cup of joe get me going to the first gas stop.

I hate breaking camp, getting all the riding gear on then riding 10 min into town and stop for breakfast. This allows me to either get a few miles down the road and get a big breakfeat wrap from Micky D's or survive until lunch.

But that really doesn't answer the question now does it? Sorry.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
What's the reason you don't want to carry any fuel? I really think a jet boil is your best real world option. Take a look at their website. There's a Pizo ignitor so it's as har to start as a gas grill. The iso/butane fuel can fits inside the cup when packed, and you will get 50 of cups of coffe out of 1 can of fuel. The fuel won't leak or make a mess either. On top off all of those reasons you can have a cup of coffee in under 5 minutes including setup time.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Love of coffee

First you guys must love your coffee. I do to, but not to the extent of what you want to do. Heat the water some other way, use instant coffee and I am a happy camper. Or another alternative is to find someone camping in the area and mooch a cup. Where are you camping so I can come over and mooch a cup or two.

Secondly, Rainier_Tom, your avatar is great, love it man.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts