StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I installed a marine duty fusebox for some aux equipment -- heated clothing, LED driving lights, etc... under the seat of my 08 Vee just to the rear of the battery. I have seven lines running off it -- all low level current. Currently it is powered 24/7 the way I have it directly tied to the battery. I want to make it switched. I'm thinking it to be a simple process of pulling power from the brake light line (which is switched) and running it through a relay and the fusebox power through the relay. I will never ever run all of the items hooked to this aux fusebox at the same time. What sized relay should I be using? Is it the mathematical sum of all that is hooked in, or can it be less?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
A 30A or 40A relay with is typical with 10ga or 12ga wire and a 30A fuse. The wire is large enough to be protected by a 30A fuse and 30A will handle more than any additional load you can safely add to the bike. Use the orange/green wire on the brake light switch for a switched power source.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GreyWolf. The schematic you showed is the way I was planning. I appreciate having you and this forum as a sounding board for ideas (when I have an idea worth bringing out in public :smile2: )

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm probably stating the obvious: the switched relay has a 30-50A fuse, but each accessory needs a fuse specific to it's wire load. I bought the fuse box and relay on eBay for under $15 and they have performed perfectly.
Along the steering post are two large bolts that serve as grounds for my spot beams. I used a marine waterproof switch in the fairing for the spot lights. It can all be installed on one rainy weekend afternoon.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Because of corrosion problems with the stroms it is best practice to run the earth back to the battery not to the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts