StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winds http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we23.htm are kicking up. I'm looking for riding advice and bike set up advice.
I ride a stock DL650k6 and weigh 150 pounds. I have removed the windshield so far.
I'm planing to lower the front/rear, adjust the preload to stiff and drop the tire pressure to 33/36.
will tires, lower fairing, changing rear shock, front spring/oil, moving/removing mirrors, adding/removing a tail bag make any difference?
Is there anything other modes I can do.
I'm being blown around really bad. Not "a 18 wheeler drove by my at 80mph" bad but blown into the breakdown lane bad and I almost SH*T myself bad.

http://www.volkswagenphotography.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is here any way to "shit yourself good"?
:D

turboderek said:
The winds [/url]http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we23.htm[/url] are kicking up. I'm looking for riding advice and bike set up advice.
I ride a stock DL650k6 and weigh 150 pounds. I have removed the windshield so far.
I'm planing to lower the front/rear, adjust the preload to stiff and drop the tire pressure to 33/36.
will tires, lower fairing, changing rear shock, front spring/oil, moving/removing mirrors, adding/removing a tail bag make any difference?
Is there anything other modes I can do.
I'm being blown around really bad. Not "a 18 wheeler drove by my at 80mph" bad but blown into the breakdown lane bad and I almost SH*T myself bad.

http://www.volkswagenphotography.com[/url]

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I am trying to eat my dinner, yuk.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
MightyShep said:
sporthog93 said:

I believe that's when it comes bubbling out over your belt 8)
Well thanks alot. Now I have to get that picture out of my head. glup :shock:

·
Administrator
17,527 Posts
Somebody needs some Imodium, butt putty, or liquid cork!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
MightyShep said:
sporthog93 said:

I am sure thaqt when it bubbles out over the top of your belt that is NOT considered good!!!! :D :D

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
cavehamster said:
MightyShep said:
Is that what they call 'monkey butt'? Haha... :p

Yeah yeah, I know what it is, but hey, it seemed to fit... :wink:
No, that's when you throw it at bystanders. :p

·
Registered
888 Posts
An old guy I used to work with won a sack of oysters in his local pub raffle. While waiting for his usual taxi ride home, he farted and followed through a bit. The taxi driver asked him, on the way,' what was in the sack?' 'Oysters 'he replied. 'Wouldn't eat them if I was you. They smell a bit off! 'said the taxi driver. :D :) :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
A little off!

Damn that's good!!!!

quote="LAV 750"]An old guy I used to work with won a sack of oysters in his local pub raffle. While waiting for his usual taxi ride home, he farted and followed through a bit. The taxi driver asked him, on the way,' what was in the sack?' 'Oysters 'he replied. 'Wouldn't eat them if I was you. They smell a bit off! 'said the taxi driver. :D :) :lol:[/quote]

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Damn the poor guy ask for information on his bike, and you guys entertain yourselves totally ignoring the fact he is asking for help. :shock:

Turbo neither of the two Strom's are user friendly around high speed traffic, and high or gusting winds make them worse. I improved mine by installing a WindStrom windshield, raised the forks 10 mm in the triple clamps and I removed the hand guards (this makes the bars less sensitive to dirty air when overtaking an 18 wheeler or large raised SUV).
The more things you hang on the bike the more wind and turbulence will affect it, slow down, and hang on failure to do so may get you blown off the road or into on comming traffic. Somewhere in another post one rider while passing an 18 wheeler at 80 mph was thrown off the bike due to serious head shake. (violent oscilation of the handle bars) another poster on the forum can tell you first hand about high speed head shake, he is still recovering and waiting on delivery of his next high speed launching pad.

M

·
0 Posts
Way to suck the air out of the room Mortaine :D

And thanks for helping out. I came in late and started goofing around, sorry about that Turbo. I have not really had serious problems with turbulance. Not any different than other bikes I've had. This summer I rode across South Dakota in a cross wind that had me leaning a good 5 degrees to the right all day. While there is buffeting from trucks, I haven't found this to be exagerrated by the Strom. I think the best course of action is to either fall back or pass the offending vehicle, knowing that there will be dirty air as long as you are behind the truck. This is something that all motorcycles have to deal with.

Of course I've got a DL1000, and that extra weight is probably keeping me down. :shock: Oh god I've started it again....... :shock:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fun

We could have fun with this for quite a while!!! I mean what the heck are you going to tell someone about wind?? Except passing wind!

Way to suck the air out of the room Mortaine :D

And thanks for helping out. I came in late and started goofing around, sorry about that Turbo. I have not really had serious problems with turbulance. Not any different than other bikes I've had. This summer I rode across South Dakota in a cross wind that had me leaning a good 5 degrees to the right all day. While there is buffeting from trucks, I haven't found this to be exagerrated by the Strom. I think the best course of action is to either fall back or pass the offending vehicle, knowing that there will be dirty air as long as you are behind the truck. This is something that all motorcycles have to deal with.

Of course I've got a DL1000, and that extra weight is probably keeping me down. :shock: Oh god I've started it again....... :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts