StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am very interested in the DL1000 for two up touring with my wife. I am concerned about some of the posts I've read here describing instability with loaded bags. One specifically which SCOOTER posted descrbing a violent tank slapper resulting in a crash. If loaded bags are causing wobbles, wouldn't loaded bags AND a passenger be dangerous. This kind of instability is totally unacceptable and should be considered a design flaw. I really like the idea behind this bike so I would like to know if this is a common problem or not. By the way I live in Utah where the wind always blows. Any help would be much appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sure haven't noticed any stability problems. I live in a very windy area and don't get blown around any worse than any other motorcycle I've owned. As far as instability caused by bags, if they are loaded evenly and not overloaded, there should be no problems. I've been in many different conditions under many different circumstances with my 'Strom and I consider it to be one of the most stable motorcycles I've ever riden.

·
Registered
213 Posts
stability

I have not had any stability issues with my bike with the luggage on. I have the Givi E36Ns and E45N topbox. I've had the bike to 115 mph with the bags on and loaded and it was no worse than my old R11RS. I usually ride at speeds of 60-80mph. I do get handle bar wobble on decel between 50 and 40 if I take my hands off the bars and I have the topbox on. It has been checked and checked again and does it with the stock tires and the Tourances. I put Wirth progressive springs in the forks but that didn't make any difference. I have been affected by the winds here in NW Oregon, but it was only a little worse than the BMW as it was about 60lbs heavier.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
high speed weave

Riding one-up with the stock trail wings I would get a pretty good weave started above about 90 during acceleration. (passing a truck). This was with full oem luggage. I haven't tested it out with the Tourances mounted or riding two-up.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
This bike has no problems... Rides great...but don't take my word for it or ALL the Motorcycle journalists who have huge praise for the handling characteristics....

Only problem with most motorcycles is the nut behind the handlbars.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vstrom Stability

Last fall I did a 2300 mile trip on the strom through New Mexico and Colorado - Happy Trails panniers, a large dry bag with sleeping gear and a folding arm chair on the rear rack (ya got to have the comforts of home). No stability problems at all - including a long stretch at 90+ coming south on I-25. However I hit some severe winds between Amarillo and Dallas and did have some weaving when trying to pass tractor trailers.

What I found the problem to be was the vortexes coming off of the trucks hitting my sholders and causing input to the bars. I found that if I almost let go of the bars and blew past the trucks, getting down behind what little windshield there is that the bike itself did not feel unstable at all.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V-Strom Stability

I live in Nebraska, which is also constantly windy. I have had no unusual problems with stability with the side bags on or off - I always have the trunk mounted. Proper tire pressures and suspension settings are important of course. Yes, a 45 mph wind gust from the side will make the bike want to drift sideways - but it is a relatively light, high profile motorcycle. Some folks raise the fork tubes and feel that makes the bike track better in crosswinds. It probably does, because it would transfer more weight to the front tire for one thing. The prior comment about wind affecting handlebar inputs is also valid - but that's not V-Strom specific, it can apply to most motorcycles, especially those with minimal fairing protection.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Stab

Nate

The hard luggage does cause problems in cross winds and vortexs coming off large vehicles. The tallness of the bike gives the wind a large surface area to affect.When the bike is loaded heavily on the tail end it causes the front end to become light. To counter act this problem lower the forks in the tripple clamps and install a spacer in the rear shock to give more preload and lift in the tail end. I'm also considering a bike level to understand how the bike is sitting when used for sport bike riding,touring with all the gear and two up riding. When packing the bike get the heavy stuff as far forward and low as you can. No heavy stuff in trunk.If its windy or you are passing a large vehicle lean forward on the tank. Hard acceleration also causes the front to become light. Also keep an eye on the steering head bearings that there is no excessive play. This issue should not deter you from the VS, it's a minor issue. Just about any bike can have this problem given the right conditions.

Scooter

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info everyone. I've never had to deal with this kind of problem on any of my other bikes, including my current bike....an SV650 with 22,000 miles. I wonder if a good quality steering damper might solve the problem totally. I think I might look into other bikes though, as all my riding will be with a passenger and luggage. I'm not sure I want to "fix" a new bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Took 750 mile trip fully loaded with passenger and stock Suzuki hard luggage(top box and side hard bags) through Virginia and Skyline Drive. Had bike up to 90 on interstate. Absolutely no instability. Any bike will be affected by wind gusts. Bigger the fairing the more the wind affects it. V Strom is an excellent handling bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wind Effects

I've only put a few hundred miles on my 2004 DL650, but I have had a chance to ride in some windy conditions. My impression is that the bike itself is extremely stable. However, the scant wind protection for the rider allows the sidewinds and vortices to press on the rider's body resulting in steering inputs that make the bike veer a bit off course or perhaps wobble.

The vented windscreen on my 04 works pretty well when there is no side wind, but a moderate sidewind disrupts my little bubble of still air and I can really feel it jerking me around. It is hard not to jerk on the handlebars under those conditions.

I have a wider shield on order, one of those Windstroms, and I'll let people know how it works.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
192 Posts
A few days ago I gave my 14 year-old daughter a ride up to a friend's cottage with the bike pretty heavily loaded. I had a tank bag with my stuff for an overnight. Two smallish soft saddlebags heavily laden with her stuff. (You can imagine what a 14 year-old girl thinks she has to have for a few days at the lake.) And then a tent and sleeping bag for my overnight camping on the way back. I cranked up the preload on the rear and put the rear tire up to 41 psi before leaving. Never had any handling problems, not even when passing a line of cars at about 100 mph. It wasn't extremely windy, but there was a fair wind. I've made no other suspension adjustments to this bike yet, having had it only one week.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts