StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Vstrom 25,000 miles with standard pipes, K&N Filter and custom map for power comander and loads of farkles. With this map I used to get 44 miles to gallon when running on super unleaded 99 ron. I recently took a trip to France and my chain snapped at 80 MPH. Luckily it freed itself and the only damage was broken front sprocket cover. However my fuel economy has got progressivly worse and now I am only getting26 miles to the gallon. I have tried alternate fuel maps but they don't make a difference. The bike is regularly serviced and looked after! Can anyone suggest a reason for this shocking fuel economy. With the price of fuel in The Uk I am getting about 130 miles to a tank with economical riding!

Please Help
Macca

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
How do your plugs look? If it's a rich-running issue they should be black and fluffy, I would also imagine the bike would be running fairly rough.

Have you checked your air filter? Even the K&N can become plugged, again I would imagine you'd be able to discern a loss of power if this were the case.

Have you checked your throttle body boots? Contrary to what you might think when one blow loose it will give you a rich condition.

I'm guessing there're no visible fuel leaks? Check the quick connects under the tank, while I wouldn't expect it perhaps there is a seal leaking.

That's all I've got.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
It sounds like you have. but to be sure have you gone through and checked all the basics? Air filter as previously mentioned, tire pressure, lubed the chain and checked tension, Plugs, throttle synced. Are brakes dragging?

My bike loses about 10 to 20% of its summer mileage as the temperature approaches freezing so a bit of a drop is normal.

Was the mileage drop gradual after the chain break (ie: got progressively worse over a number of tanks of fuel) or rather dramatic (next tank of fuel got way less mileage)? If dramatic, was anything else harmed by the chain break? Was the chain tensioned properly?

I don't have a 1000 but I have been told that Stroms like regular better than premium and get better mileage with it. I forget the corresponding RON and MON numbers but it sounds like the 99 ron is super. Did you always run the 99 ron? (North American Octane numbers are an average of RON and MON. Super is 91 plus here.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I don't have a 1000 but I have been told that Stroms like regular better than premium and get better mileage with it.
That is an old wives tale Tom once properly adjusted to operate at low RPM's they will ping like crazy on low octane fuel especially at temps above 90 degrees F.

maca you may want to try running injector cleaner through a couple of tanks, sticking or sloppy injectors will cause a fuel mileage loss. If the filter has been allowed to dry out you may have excessive engine wear. Anything dragging enough to cause that kind of loss should show up as excessive heat somewhere. Perhaps the final drive gear shaft or bearing was damaged when the chain broke.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
That is an old wives tale Tom once properly adjusted to operate at low RPM's they will ping like crazy on low octane fuel especially at temps above 90 degrees F.
Good to know, Mortaine.. I haven't seen that happening on my 650.

..Tom

·
Registered
148 Posts
What is involved in "adjusting to run at low RPMs" and why would you want to do that?

Anyway, on a stock bike it runs very happily on Regular.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
What is involved in "adjusting to run at low RPMs" and why would you want to do that?

Anyway, on a stock bike it runs very happily on Regular.
If your TB synch, TPS and secondary throttle plates are all in adjustment....you should be able to run at lower RPM's all freakin day. I typically run 87 octane, but will use 89 or higher when the weather gets hot and muggy.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I'm sorry but it's hard to believe when you say "The bike is regularly serviced and looked after! "

No bike which is well serviced would ever have a chain snap. That's just being cheap, plus very likely the rest of the bike is NOT well looked after either.

I don't know why you're running HI octane, but perhaps that plus non-factory fuel mapping has done its damage. There is no telling what could be wrong, you're off the page in the manual.

Put the bike back to stock and you may be able to tell what is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
since the weather has cooled off here, i tried a tank full of 87 R+M/2 and noticed a decrease in MPG. >37 vs 40 or better.
My experience, based on tracking my fuel mileage over 60,000 km (roughly 37000 miles) is that the mileage on my bike is about 20% worse near freezing vs. riding in summer weather. It's very hard to point to one tank of fuel and say a mileage change is due to the fuel if the temperature has also changed.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My experience, based on tracking my fuel mileage over 60,000 km (roughly 37000 miles) is that the mileage on my bike is about 20% worse near freezing vs. riding in summer weather. It's very hard to point to one tank of fuel and say a mileage change is due to the fuel if the temperature has also changed.

..Tom
Yeah why is that? Ok I expect a little worse but I go from mid 50's to upper 40's. My car mileage decreases a little bit but not near this much. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg at the most.The first winter last year I thought something was wrong with the bike then Spring came around and it started going back up to the mid 50's and now as sure as the sun rises in the east, it's headed downhill again, 49 mpg last tank. I do use a givi shield at the highest adjustment in the winter and stock down low in the summer. I know that accounts for some but even when I take it easy it is hard to break 50 mpg. Is it overly compensating with a much richer mixture? On the plus side it does seem to have a little extra git up and go on them near freezing mornings.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Yeah why is that? Ok I expect a little worse but I go from mid 50's to upper 40's. My car mileage decreases a little bit but not near this much. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg at the most.The first winter last year I thought something was wrong with the bike then Spring came around and it started going back up to the mid 50's and now as sure as the sun rises in the east, it's headed downhill again, 49 mpg last tank. I do use a givi shield at the highest adjustment in the winter and stock down low in the summer. I know that accounts for some but even when I take it easy it is hard to break 50 mpg. Is it overly compensating with a much richer mixture? On the plus side it does seem to have a little extra git up and go on them near freezing mornings.
My suspicions are colder, thicker oil, lower air pressure in tires, longer for chain & other things to warm up, longer time for engine to warm, poorer combustion as our air isn't heated in the cold, and, at least up here in Canada, winter gas which seems to have less energy. I am sure I am missing some things.

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou Fellow Stromers

Thanks for all the help guys, I still have not resolved the problem so am giving it to a mecanical engineer friend of mine who is going to give it a good going over. He knows more about V-twins than I know about life so He should be able to get to the bottom of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
...With the price of fuel in The Uk I am getting about 130 miles to a tank with economical riding!

Please Help
Macca
One other thought, and it is a bit off the wall:

You have an 02 1000, right? If I am not mistaken, the speedo and odometer drive is off of the tranny. I don't know how the 1000 gets the information but is it possible that the bike is now reading much less distance travelled than before? In other words, could the speedo drive be messed up with the chain failure and have caused the speed pickup to malfunction? If it has gradually messing up up then the odometer might not be counting your distance properly.

If this is even a remote possibility you could check the odometer and speedo by using a GPS. I would not just assume that if the speedo is close that the odo is as well.. I would reset the trip odometer on the GPS as well as on the bike and see if they match reasonably closely (more straight riding would give a closer result.)

Anyway, as I said I don't know about the 1000 speedo pickup or if this is even a remote possibility.

..Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts