StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I was all done, but apparently there's this thing called an Owner's Manual that has a list of regular maintenance items to be followed. I am a bit delinquent on the following:

- Brake fluid change
- Air filter replacement
- Spark plug replacement

Any links, tips and part numbers would be appreciated. I would prefer to take a project management approach, measure twice, cut once so to speak.

I don't see any stickies for these items, so I thought I would check with y'all.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it safe to assume that all DL650's 2012+ have the blue super long life coolant that only need changing every 4 years or 48,000km?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spark Plugs:
NGK CR8EIA-9
Denso IU24D

Any preference on which plug?

Brake fluid:
Any DOT4. Any preferences, or any DOT4 will do?

Air filter I'll buy directly from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Never assume anything.
Get the owner's manual and if you are intent on performing your own maintenance and repair, purchase the service manual as well.
To me, the factory service manual is the world's best owner's manual.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Coolant, Mine is 15 years old, is that a problem? the bike runs fine and never gets over 3 bars and doesn't see freezing temps very often. If you don't ride in really dusty conditions, the air filter probably only needs a blast of compressed air.
Brake fluid, if the window in the reservoir is dark, it's probably a good idea. http://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.com/ these make the job simple.

This is the think of the non AR less is more maint. I'm probably wrong though.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Spark Plugs:
NGK CR8EIA-9
Denso IU24D

Any preference on which plug?
Brake fluid:
Any DOT4. Any preferences, or any DOT4 will do?
Air filter I'll buy directly from the dealer.
For spark plugs I use what the manufacturer calls for. In all the bikes I work on I use BelRay Super DOT4 unless something else is specified.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never assume anything.
Get the owner's manual and if you are intent on performing your own maintenance and repair, purchase the service manual as well.
To me, the factory service manual is the world's best owner's manual.
Bought it two years ago... time to crack the binding on it eh? :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spark plug interval is higher than expected.

If I'm going to lift the tank for the brake fluid I might as well pop in a new air filter. I see the Hiflo air filters for $25, which is reasonable. I also like the high pleat count compared to the OEM.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The spark plug interval is higher than expected.

If I'm going to lift the tank for the brake fluid I might as well pop in a new air filter. I see the Hiflo air filters for $25, which is reasonable. I also like the high pleat count compared to the OEM.
I do not believe the tank needs messing with to do brake fluid.

As for spark plugs, do yourself a favor and buy the iridium replacements. A better plug and you are good for 50,000 miles easy.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
I changed the stock plugs at 60K miles and they were still fine. Iridium has a good reputation but the originals work many long time too.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like I can push the plugs out. What’s the iridium part number equivalent?

So air filter and brake fluid swap is warranted.

I noticed the manual states replacing the brake hose at 4 years?! Are we taking all of them? Seems excessive.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sounds like I can push the plugs out. What’s the iridium part number equivalent?

So air filter and brake fluid swap is warranted.

I noticed the manual states replacing the brake hose at 4 years?! Are we taking all of them? Seems excessive.
Just have a dealer cross reference the plugs to iridium. I only ran my standard plugs to around 30,000 miles. As for brake hoses, it depends. If the bike stays indoors or covered, they last a lot longer. Just visually examine the rubber outer coating of the hoses for hair line cracks or dry rot.

You have 2 sets of brakes....what could go wrong:confused:

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
I’m almost positive that the 12 and up 650 come with iridium plugs from factory.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coolant, Mine is 15 years old, is that a problem? the bike runs fine and never gets over 3 bars and doesn't see freezing temps very often. If you don't ride in really dusty conditions, the air filter probably only needs a blast of compressed air.
Brake fluid, if the window in the reservoir is dark, it's probably a good idea. http://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.com/ these make the job simple.

This is the think of the non AR less is more maint. I'm probably wrong though.
Ok, just read up on speedbleeders... this is a must if I'm going to do regular fluid changes. Thank you!

Now, which part number to add to all 3 of my 2015 DL650 calipers?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Yah, the rear master cylinder is a bother to get at with the luggage bolted in place but I was able to use a funnel and tube to get at it and only pry the plastic cover out a little bit.
the whole process only took a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts