StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So have you put in new gas and hit the starter?
Sorry, not yet. Unfortunately, the bike is in AZ at a family member's house and I am in UT. I'm trying to get down there soon so I can get it running and ride it home.

I'm going to freeze on the ride back but I'm so excited about it I'm having trouble sleeping at night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new ride. You will love it. Add some more details where you are, your ride etc. You get better answers that way.

Don't turn on the ignition and don't run the fuel pump until you had a chance to check the tank. Siphon out the old fuel and then inspect. Hopefully its clean and just stale gas. If its rusted, there are posts here that have detailed what people did to try to clean and coat it. If its clean, great! Add fresh gas and just ride it after you done all the other maintenance items. I would not mess with the injectors unless you have engine issues. Maybe add some fuel additive as a precaution.

Change all fluids (except forks and shock). The coolant may still be ok, all be it older since it sat for so many years without being moved around. Definitely do the brakes. Change the fluid, then go and ride and activate both front and rear ABS multiple times (gravel or grassy surface, one at a time). Then go and change the fluid again. That should make sure to flush out the old and possibly oxidized fluid out of the ABS module. All other items are common sense checks, just like any other bike new to you.

Known issues over time are alternator failure (install a V meter to monitor what's going on) and the headlight cutout function of the starter switch. Search here, many threads about it. Cure: A headlight relay kit = only control current going through that switch or at least change over to LED lighting. If you take the bike apart and have access, add dielectric grease to the electrical connectors exposed to the elements and add protection to keep the rain etc out (inner tube over it and taped up so no water runs into the connectors).

Hey,
Please provide more info on the headlight relay kit or links to forum discussions.
This is the first I've heard of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Sorry, not yet. Unfortunately, the bike is in AZ at a family member's house and I am in UT. I'm trying to get down there soon so I can get it running and ride it home.

I'm going to freeze on the ride back but I'm so excited about it I'm having trouble sleeping at night.
Why do you have to freeze. Go to cycle gear buy a Hotwire heated jacket liner for $219 and a whip with a rocker switch that connects directly to the battery and ride home in comfort.

Heated gear was one of those thing I though I didn't need until I tried it. Now I don't know how I tolerated cold weather riding without it. Same with heated grips and heated seats.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Heated gear was one of those thing I though I didn't need until I tried it.
I'd agree with that. I ride happily to about -10C with no heated gear of any kind. But a ride at about 0C on Darling Bride's BMW F650GS with heated grips has me seriously considering a set. No reason why I can't be even more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Saw some lithium battery heated gloves at the dealer on Saturday. $219 a pair was a bit steep. o_O

21 - 28 of 28 Posts