StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone needs help with maintenance tasks up to and including valve adjustments on the 650/1000 my garage is open for help. I've done 8 or so 650 valve adjustments, and 3 on the 1000, and have most of the tools you need to do any routine maintenance job that a vstrom might throw you. The only thing I have not done short of rebuilding an engine is front fork seals (don't have the tools or practice). Send me a pm if you need help. I'm in the northwest suburbs and have a small heated and well lit area to work in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How important is the valve adjustment? Wife has 32,000 miles on her 2005 Wee Strom and has never had the valves adjusted

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Zed, fork seals are easy. The only special tool needed is a long 6 mm hex bit. Either remove the damper rod bolt with the hex bit and an impact wrench, or put the spring back in to hold the damper rod from turning. The upper bushing can be put into position by lightly tapping with a drift punch and hammer.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
How important is the valve adjustment? Wife has 32,000 miles on her 2005 Wee Strom and has never had the valves adjusted
Should have had those checked 16,000 miles ago. It's in the maintenance schedule for a reason... Tight valves can damage engines... If it was my bike I would do it asap....

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While it won't cause your engine to just up and quit on you I've adjusted several 650's and several had tight valves. It will eventually cause damage and its cheaper than doing an engine swap or rebuild. Personally I would check them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My inlaws live in Huntley, I am out that way often. We should take a ride somewhere and grab a few others!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha I agree. My offer still stand although I've moved slightly and I've had a few folks come out and met some really nice people along the way.

Also if your local (anywhere in Chicago) 2x a year we do our flat four tour (IL/IA/MN/WI) trip and I'm one of the group leaders. We used to have a forum but now we do everything through our facebook page. Its about 800 sport touring miles over 2 days and we have a blast. We usually have 3-5 vstrom present (20-30 riders, split into groups of 4-7 riders running the same route). PM me and I'll add you to the group.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haha I agree. My offer still stand although I've moved slightly and I've had a few folks come out and met some really nice people along the way.

Also if your local (anywhere in Chicago) 2x a year we do our flat four tour (IL/IA/MN/WI) trip and I'm one of the group leaders. We used to have a forum but now we do everything through our facebook page. Its about 800 sport touring miles over 2 days and we have a blast. We usually have 3-5 vstrom present (20-30 riders, split into groups of 4-7 riders running the same route). PM me and I'll add you to the group.
I am in Lake in the Hills and got a DL1000. I would love to be added to the group.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just did the spring tour and it was a good time. Search "The Flat 4 tour" on facebook and you can request to be added to the group.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Deal. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is an old thread is the offer still standing? I am in lake in the hills. I also call it the boonies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts