StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm likely being sent to Maine for a project starting mid June thru August. I was wondering if the abundant OHV trails would be worth picking up a permit to ride on my mostly street Vee.

I'll be near Sugarloaf Resort (Herbert Grand, Kingfield) and there's gonna be at least one long weekend in my stay as it will include the 4th. I'd like to see as much of Maine as possible during my stay, so any two day rides would be nice on the rest of the weekends (assuming I'm not forced into working Saturdays).

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just figured I should go by this FAQ found Here:

" 7. Do the ATV Laws apply to my dual sport motorcycle? Yes, when used off road.

8. Do I have to register my Dual Sport Motorcycle as an ATV? There's nothing in Maine Law that requires someone to register their street registered motorcycle to go off street riding, however if you intend to operate on State owned and maintained multi-use rail trails the ATV registration is required. We encourage you to register as an ATV if you are going to ride on ATV funded trails to support the costs of maintaining these trails. Some private landowners strictly prohibit the operation of motorcycles of any sort on their land. "

I was wondering if anyone out there has much experience with these trails, as I don't... and would likely regret trying it alone. If the trails aren't up to par (massive mud pits) I'd rather save the registration fee and stick to tarmac.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Someone else should be able to answer your specific question. I just want to point out there are plenty of dirt roads (as opposed to trails) where you don't need any sort of permit, and even if you do have a permit, you can't ride a motorcycle in Baxter State Park.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I will pass on some information on Tuesday evening. I have a ground school class this evening.

B.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd be very careful on which "trails" you pick. I've been on some up near Greenville on an XR250L and some of the spots were tough on that. I couldn't imagine those ATV trails on my Wee.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Down here in New Hampshire the OHV trails have speed limits and cops with radar guns on the more popular trails. So you pay to register your bike on the road and you pay to use the OHV trails and you pay when you get a ticket. No thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Down here in New Hampshire the OHV trails have speed limits and cops with radar guns on the more popular trails. So you pay to register your bike on the road and you pay to use the OHV trails and you pay when you get a ticket. No thanks.
That's rediculous... so if you own one of the many atv's without a speedo you're screwed, and more screwed if you change your tires to a different size on one that actually has a speedo... How accurate can a speedometer on an atv be with frikin balloon tires?

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's rediculous... so if you own one of the many atv's without a speedo you're screwed, and more screwed if you change your tires to a different size on one that actually has a speedo... How accurate can a speedometer on an atv be with frikin balloon tires?
Can't answer the speedo question but the patrols get more intense when someone gets hurt. Especially when kids get hurt.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Suggestions?
I am trying to get myself organized for a long 4 day trip over this coming Memorial Day Weekend. I had hoped to respond to this thread last evening. It will have to wait until I return to give you some suggestions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was planning to make a 4 day trip to southern IL, but when it became apparent my ammo can brackets weren't going to be done I had to concede defeat. The cans will be mounted this weekend, hopefully with time for a two day out around the Allegheny forest.

As far as suggestions for the trip, I should have till the middle of June. It should be interesting come time to go, I have two project managers with completely different ideas of what shop they want me to be covering. I'm pulling for the one in Maine, as the one I'm at now (where the other project manager wants to keep me) is for the most part... terrible.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was planning to make a 4 day trip to southern IL, but when it became apparent my ammo can brackets weren't going to be done I had to concede defeat. The cans will be mounted this weekend, hopefully with time for a two day out around the Allegheny forest.

As far as suggestions for the trip, I should have till the middle of June. It should be interesting come time to go, I have two project managers with completely different ideas of what shop they want me to be covering. I'm pulling for the one in Maine, as the one I'm at now (where the other project manager wants to keep me) is for the most part... terrible.
Allegheny Forest/ Mountains is an area I spent lots time motorcycle camping in. Haven't been there in many years but was hoping to get there sometime this year. Probably won't be camping though. Good luck with the relocation and upcoming trip.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be on the road Monday, headed for Kingfield Maine (30 minutes up from Farmington I think). I should be in that night. If anyone is in the neighborhood on one of the weekends for the next 6 or 8 weeks let me know. I am also interested in weekend rides I can make from that location... how far from there is the Twisted Throttle shop anyways?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts