StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am planning to do some preventive maintenance on those infamous wandering magnets on my '02 DL1000 with a little Brakleen/yellow jacket spray and JB Weld.

A few questions about that area... Is the side cover gasket reusable? Is 11483-02F10 the right one if it's not? And finally, can I take it off without changing the oil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Sg3NXOjgAqi-ggev7YyICg&q=stromtrooper+magneto+cover+removal&btnK=Google+Search&oq=stromtrooper+magneto+cover+removal&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i299.1999.13007..14946...0.0..0.235.3286.20j13j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10j0i13j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30j0i22i30j33i160.SRhfq3sbXpM

Do a little read up and I am sure all your questions will be answered as well as questions you did not think of.

I would get a new gasket. I would not want to have to fight with the old one only to have it seep oil after all.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In theory yes, in practice no. It'll almost certainly break because it'll be stuck to each case. I know the clutch side is like that.

Get a new one, thin film of copper grease each side so it'll peel off cleanly next time and that one will last a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In theory yes, in practice no. It'll almost certainly break because it'll be stuck to each case. I know the clutch side is like that.

Get a new one, thin film of copper grease each side so it'll peel off cleanly next time and that one will last a long time.
Thank you.

My Googling mostly resulted in ad placements. Threads like this will help the next guy answer this question.

Is the magneto in an oil bath, I.E. will it require a complete oil change to inspect?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Not as such but there is oil in that case and an oilway that lets it in, from memory that's quite high. if you tip the bike onto the other side you can do it without an oil change.

Rope from rafters, old mattress, do the job on the back lawn, trap wife between bike and garage wall. There are a number of options some more survivable than others.

I have an old garage with a brick shelf around the edges at near the right height, so some cheap rubber mats and that works (with or without trapped wife).

Word of warning, if the magnets have wandered they break really easily. Make up some spacers and work them slowly back into position rather than pulling them out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it. I'll take the grass option since I have neither a garage nor a wife. That'll be the next item after wheel bearings.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
That looks like the right part number for a magneto cover gasket. These go on dry, no grease or sealant should be used. A new gasket is highly recommended. But at least you don't have coolant to seal on that side of the engine so no worries about flooding crankcase with coolant. Bottom line, if the gasket is original and 10 plus years old don't expect it to release cleanly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts