StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in adding some protection to the oil filter and cooler without the expense and bulk of a skid plate. Found Dan Vessel's site and his solutions seem to fit my needs. Is there any likelihood that a magnetized oil filter cap will have an adverse effect on the performance of the filter?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
No. It might improve the cleansing of the oil by catching any ferrous particles too small to be trapped in the filter media.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, don't know if this product already exists or not, but sounds like it should work. Maybe you just invented something.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oil Filter Magnets

I have placed Neodymium magnets on the underside of all my oil filters for >8 years. I had no idea if it really helped but the theory of trapping ferrous particles in the oil seems valid. So, to attempted to prove the theory. I removed the oil filter from my Ford 150 truck. It had about 8,000 miles on the filter and I used synthetic oil. In order not to introduce any ferrous material during disassembly, I did not cut the filter - - I was able to pull it apart using a large vise and a giant-sized screw driver.

I did find a very, very, very small amount of ultra-fine magnetic material on the inside of where the neodymium magnet was located. I estimate that the amount of material would fit on the head of a pin. Did that material come from the engine or was it already present when the filter was new ??? Who knows but, wherever it originated, there was very little of it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like his new skid plate/oil filter cover design. Always thought Dan Vessel had the simple and best solution but worried about the oil filter. The new combo setup looks like an overall great product that doesn't weigh too much and you can even jack up the bike on the plate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That mag filter already exist , or did , I was the Gen Mrg of a Co called Metal Arrestor. We sold thousands of them but the owner would not listen to any money men, they give you money and they want control. We even were the primary sponsor of a Top Fuel Funny Car driven by Jim Epler ( 1st to go 300mph in a funny). Great product but it takes huge $$$ to go national.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Magnet in oil

When I ran VWs I always had a magnet in the engine on the oil screen.
It always had metal "dust" on it when I changed the oil.
Don't know if it helped, but don't think it hurt!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
A second reason for the magnet.

A few years ago, a Stromtrooper in Massachusetts ran over some metal which
popped up and pierced his oil filter. This event immediately produced two
problems, shortage of oil in the engine and unwanted lubrication of the rear tire.

He made it home safely, noticed the puddle, rectified the problem, and
soon bought an accessory to protect the vulnerable stuff near the filter.
Ironically, this reduces his ground clearance so the plate gets scuffed
on a ramp at a place where the Stromtrooper frequently must go.

I am a cheapskate. I salvaged a magnet from within a dead hard disk drive,
stuck that on the front of my oil filter, and stuck a tin can over the filter.
The magnet keeps my can aboard, and my oil filter is, at least marginally,
protected against "bionic road kill". In fact, I found a second tin can that
fits over the first one well enough, so my filter is doubly armored.
Perhaps this has been a waste of time, but it provides cheap confidence.

Keith

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I would bet that there is an aftermarket magnetized oil drain plug available somewhere. Some of my other bikes have had them. Maybe my Wee has one now, but I get so mixed up between bikes, cars, and outboard motors I can't remember what has what any more.

But slapping a magnet on the outside of the oil filter seems easy and cheap enough.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Both Stroms have magnets in the oil drain plugs.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well OK, then. I think my 'Vette has one, too. It must be fairly common.

Getting that ferrous dust off those plugs is a pain, though. I use carb cleaner in a pressurized can to try to blow it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts