StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a CorTech Super Mini Tank Bag with the magnetic base (so very cool) to carry some of the incidentals -- wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, earplugs, etc. on my DL650 (which I just LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I was chagrined to find a warning against putting credit cards in the bag because of the magnetic base -- possibly demagnetizing them.

Anyone do it? Anyone don't do it? Anyone having an experience one way or the other?

Just wondering!

Thanks!

-Rob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Most bags now have a shield so anything inside the bag is ok. If the magnets activate with metal from the inside they are not sielded and will damage magnetic stripsin cards and damage memory. But most bags now are shielded. I am pretty positive that Tourmaster bags have shielded magnets. I used one and didn't have a problem. This is usually a disclaimer.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I use a JRManta which has the magnets off to the sides so haven't had any de-mag problems. If the magnets were in the base of my bag I'd be pretty hesitant to put a wallet with cards in there. Checking the shielding is a good suggestion but it may not guarantee there's not enough getting through to affect magnetic strips. I've had cards ruined by a VERY weak magnet in a money clip in less than 5 minutes of being next to each other. :???:

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's getting late and I'm having a hard time concentrating on reading anymore.

I was looking for some episodes of Mythbusters that debunked this. One was on eel skin wallets and one was on magnets. Even when trying to wipe cards clean they had trouble doing it. As I recall they concluded that powerful magnets would indeed erase your card. Though there is always a chance somehting could happen in normal conditions it'd be nearly impossible for anything to happen to your cards. That being said. Try it at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You need an AC field to wipe magnetic media. Static magnets won't do it under normal circumstances.

Still, I keep my wallet on my person. It's too easy to swipe a tankbag, and I have to put *something* in those 27 jacket pockets!

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Icon Primer bag, too, has the magnets off-set from the bag and wraps around the tank. Doubt there'd be any problems with the credit cards from that, but I'm still gonna keep them in a jacket pocket. Wallet has all of my other info in it anyhow, so if the bike "gets away", the medical folks know I'm an organ donor...is that a bad thing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
No probs here

I've used both a Cortech super mini magnetic, and now a Givi T440 magnetic tank bag, and have never had any problems with credit cards, palm pilot, or cell phone. Good to go!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mythbusters did an episode on this myth. They found it to be a myth. Wouldn't worry about your credit cards in a magnet tank bag other than someone stealing them.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
OT but I love the way people continually quote Mythbusters as a source of factual information.
I wonder if the same people get their Medical advice for ER or use Boston Legal as their source of legal advice or CSI for information about police procedures.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How many credit cards have you blanked on a magnet? The only time I've ever had a problem with a credit card is from physical damage to the magnetic strip.

·
Registered
416 Posts
OT but I love the way people continually quote Mythbusters as a source of factual information.
I wonder if the same people get their Medical advice for ER or use Boston Legal as their source of legal advice or CSI for information about police procedures.
Never had a wrong verdict on their test results. I would say they are spot on. Show people the truth and they will still deny it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No one ever said they were gospel. :( The OP was looking for advise, though I have personaly never done any testing of magnets and cards, I did see it on Mythbusters and I was looking for the episode so the OP could watch and decide for himself.

I see you offered no help to the original problem.

Sorry everyone I know better than to respond to that type of baiting but I couldnt help myself.

So what's wrong with Mythbusters anyway? It's a cool show. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
The magnets used in tank bags are in a shielded cup - the cup directs the magnetic flux to the open side and into the metal tank. This helps make them stick better and creates a shield - when attached, the magnetic flux lines are (mostly) contained by the cup and the tank. I had a cheap bag come apart once...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Mythteriously

Back when floppies were the norm there was at least one episode of sticking a floppy on the fridge with a magnet and corrupting the data. Dog ate my homework meets computer age?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's a clue, K1W1: The last two are fiction, the Mythbusters show is an entertaining documentary. Can you discern the difference?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate to drag up an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Has anyone had any problems with putting a digital camera in a magnetic tank bag? I'm interested in buying a tank bag, and was just curious about this. I guess if a cell phone isn't damaged, a camera would be safe. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
You will NOT have any problems carrying digital camera's, iPods, Credit Cards, CD Players, mobile phones, USB memory sticks or GPS units in magnetic tank bags.
I carry at least three sometimes four of the above regularly in mine.
The magnetic force required to erase data on a memory card is huge, well above what the magnets on a tank bag have.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
What about pacemakers? Has anyone considered how a magnetic tank bag will affect those? Also, I read on the intraweb that if you lean over your magnetic tank bag sometimes you can hear Mexican AM radio, but I'm just a newbie. So what do I know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dvdt, the reason you hear mexican radio when you lean over your tank is that your bike is built in mexico and it is secretely consipring to drive there, with or without you.

Mine, however, is a quality japanese build. I occasionally hear the sound of whistling reeds and wind chimes, and it loves to go drifting!

Also, was the request for info on pacemakers for ben? Lol.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts