StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry if this has been covered and my search skills have failed me. I've been doing a lot of research on this question and getting nowhere. Is there a magnetic tank bag in the 15-20L capacity that will work for a 2014 V-Strom 1000? All I'm seeing are a lot of things that claim to be universal fit and not bike specific. After researching these, all of them have turned out to be less than universal. I really don't want a strapped bag. I can't get past the look of the straps and I know it would bug me every time I looked at them. One alternative seems to be ring mounted tank bags like the Givi XS307. Maybe? $150-200 for 15L of storage sounds significantly less than awesome to me, though. Don't even get me started on the SW-Motechs. So is there some magical tank bag that I'm overlooking or am I just wasting my time. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I had overlooked Nelson-Rigg as too expensive..but after owning and travelling across Canada with their expandible ...I'm sold. Lifetime warranty, very well made, excellent magnets.

It's a tad wide on the CB500x but not really a big deal except just at lock. Expandable to 27 liters it's now my go to even on daily rides as it fits my 13" MacBook Pro. I suspect it will fit very well on the 1000.
The clear pockets are really useful for bits and pieces I want to know where they are. I carry a sizeable battery pack for the cell phone/nav

I'd set up for hydration as well tho I did not use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. I thought I had seen all the Nelson-Riggs but somehow I missed the CL-2020. That has potential. Looking into that now.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have had the same Nelson-Rigg tank bag since the '80s. It is faded but bullet proof.
It is magnetic. On my V-2, I fab'd a steel tubing frame that clamps to my handlebar with moped windshield mounts and acts as a "shelf" for the bag. The bag never touches the tank. It sits over it by a couple of inches and turns with the bars (no horn blowing when full right lock).

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You will have no success with a magnetic tank bag given the large plastic cover of the tank
UNLESS
you go ahead and glue (E6000) several neodymium magnets on the underside of the plastic cover. Than magically the magnetic tank bag jumps into the correct position and stays put.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I suggest you also consider getting a RING LOCK style bag. The video below will give you an idea of what they are if you don't know already;

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will have no success with a magnetic tank bag given the large plastic cover of the tank
UNLESS
you go ahead and glue (E6000) several neodymium magnets on the underside of the plastic cover. Than magically the magnetic tank bag jumps into the correct position and stays put.
I like this idea. That's the sort of lateral thinking this world needs more of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest you also consider getting a RING LOCK style bag. The video below will give you an idea of what they are if you don't know already;
I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a tank bag. They're nice bags but I can't convince myself that they're THAT nice.

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
I understand the price component of that decision. Tank Bags in the US are unnecessarily expensive. We sell Givi at a discount and have been known to work a deal as part of a larger sale.

We also carry all the shad bags at 10% off, but have sold very few. Probably because we don't have pictures of them on our website. If you see something on the shad site we can get it to you cheaper.

Nelson Rigg is excellent. As is Wolfman. Both loved by their owners for good reasons.

However, on Vee2/3 a magnetic bag does work well for reasons discussed above. I know. Bike is a Vee2. Off all the tank ring style mounts, Givi is undoubtedley the least obtrusive when the bag is not there. It blends well and more or less is not noticed. Not true of some of the other brands.

BTW, I use generally use the XS307 15 liter bag on trips.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a tank bag. They're nice bags but I can't convince myself that they're THAT nice.
You can thank your lucky stars you are not Canadian, the prices up here as compared to the US will :surprise::surprise::surprise: you.

After trying both magnetic and ring lock bags, I doubt I would ever go back to magnetic. The ring lock is simple and quick when refueling and if security is an issue pop it off and stuff it in one of the panniers or take it with you. My SW Motech is quite small at 7-L but its all I require for day to day use, although they do come in larger sizes.

https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-evo-engage-tank-bag-7-l-for-evo-tank-ring-black-grey?gloc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfQ1AKlhUdZZpq7tjDxn61lSdF3ZCXkp3hqRqH7bXqlUG1OdF6yiVFoaAoyKEALw_wcB

That Nelson Riggs CL-2020 looks like a nice piece of kit if magnetic is the way you decide to go...

·
Registered
473 Posts
What Gdrew says ^^^

I have the SW Moto and it matches the profile of my 18 DL1000 gas almost perfectly. At 7L, it's not a hug bag, but great for small stuff.

·
Registered
473 Posts
RichlandRick,

LOL Oops, it's not a "huge" bag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UNLESS
So after more research and much debating, I decided to give up and get a XS307. But then I noticed no holes into the main compartment for charging cables. No problem, I'll just get a XS308. No holes there, either. OK, XS306 it is. Possibly can get cables into the main compartment? Can't tell for sure. So I started reading about taking off the tank plastic and attaching magnets. Looks like a fairly straightforward process. What diameter magnets did you use? Once the magnets are in place, I'm about 95% certain that I'm going to go with the Nelson-Rigg CL-2020-GPS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And 5 minutes after posting that, I came across a video review of the XS307 that clearly shows it does in fact have a cable port. Alrighty then. It may be time to start drinking.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If you do magnets, do it the other way around. I had already 2 (identical except for color) tank bags from my WEE. So I got round 2 sided magnets, not sure the size, probably something like these.
Then take the plastic cover off, place the tank bag on the outside and hold it in place with the magnets on the inside. That's your test that they hold the bag. Adjust the location for proper fit and a location, where you can easily glue the magnets. Glue them in place, let dry and your done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased the EA118 for a lot less then the newer xs series bags and I wish it had a cable hole for charging.But I saved $50 dollars.Ill have to think of a way to put a hole in the front and maybe a grommet.The tank connector works really well.And the EA118 doesn’t come with the rain cover built in like the xs series bags but did come with a rain cover for the outside of the bag.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If you do magnets, do it the other way around. I had already 2 (identical except for color) tank bags from my WEE. So I got round 2 sided magnets, not sure the size, probably something like these.
Then take the plastic cover off, place the tank bag on the outside and hold it in place with the magnets on the inside. That's your test that they hold the bag. Adjust the location for proper fit and a location, where you can easily glue the magnets. Glue them in place, let dry and your done.
If you do it the way Mr. Blaustrom notes (which is a very cool approach) you will need to know if the tank bag comes with North or South magnets. You can tell with a compass. Opposites attract. Same pole magnets push each other away. So you need to choose the correct polarity when buying your magnets.
IF the tank bag has magnets strong enough to jump the thickness of the plastic, you could just glue some metal strips behind the plastic.
Lots of choices. If you are buying strong magnets always get round edged ones to avoid clipping off the tips of your fingers. Many specialty sellers. This is one.

Reactions: CAP10 and jwumpus

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
I'll never go magnet bag again, love the Givi tanlock system and their bags so much.....easy on/off and no bag contact to scratch the paint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With my tank bag I made a stop at Home Depot, picked up a few of the really strong magnets to replace those tiny ones that came in my bag and it works well. You need to make sure a finger is NOT between the bag and tank when the magnet does its jobs. I hot glued the magnet pockets closed so there is no movement. I do not really need the straps but just feel more comfortable with them when I am doing more off road. I also put down just a little clear protector under the magnet area to protect the tank paint/clear coat. It is all covered by the magnet pocket flap. Otherwise, they sure are not going to blow off even with the smaller amount of area contacting the tank with all that beautiful plastic placed perfectly in the way. I really do like the look though and this simple work around worked well for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts