StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has one of the new MAGELLEN Crossover GPS on their bikes or cages. I have had magellen GPSs before wife has one in her cage and I had a nice handheld in Iraq....looking for your 2 cents on it. many of you have the Garmin Quest and I am looking at that one as well, but the Magellen has both turn by turn and will switch to topo when you are off road

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It's only IPX4 which means not waterproof on any real sense.
If you want to use one on a bike you will need a full waterproof cover for it.

M

·
0 Posts
Waterproof? I exclusively use a Mio C-520 and absolutely love it! And, it's not waterproof to ANY IPX standard. However, for $80 I purchased a 2 year replacement warranty against ANYTHING happening to the device. AND I use a ziplock baggie with rubberbands to deal with any inclement weather. I have ridden through some pretty nasty stuff with my ziplock baggie covering my Mio and everything worked just great!

If you compare a Mio with the top Garmin, you will find the Mio will have the same features for 1/2 the price. The Mio also has Teleatlas maps instead of Navteq maps. In a side by side comparison of the two digital maps of personally known destinations, the Teleatlas maps were MORE accurate then the Navteq maps, (but I have found "anomalies" with Garmin Topo, Delorme Topo, Delorme Street and the Teleatlas maps. I always take "paper" with me.).

B.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Magellan Crossover. While it does a good job of getting you to the correct general area, there have been several instances in which it could not find the street number of an address, leaving me riding in circles looking for the hotel. In the last instance, a fellow rider with a Garmin was able to take over and lead us directly to the hotel.

The topographical maps that are supplied are very high level, and not much help while hiking, kayaking, etc. To get the detailed ones is fairly expensive.

If Magellan would update the street maps, I would probably be able to recommend the Crossover, but for right now I'd say go with a Garmin, given a choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
wanna trade?

I've got a Magellan Roadmate 2000 that I'll trade for the crossover. I haven't had any problems with the streets on it but it did have a route problem in Bossier City, LA wanting to take me around Sam's Town to get to Sam's Town. Really the only problem I've run into finding an address.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts