StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Garmin 2730 owners - I need feedback

What I originally posted is below. I've since sent the Magellan back and am moving towards the Garmin 2730 (a unit I was considering before the Magellan) and would like some feedback from current 2720/2730 owners. I have some specific things I'd like to ask about so if you are a current user and wouldn't mind helping me out please PM me or post here and we can share with the world.

Thanks

"I recently picked up a Magellan 2200t because I wanted something that could move from bike to car, was water proof (at least to IPX 4), had an internal battery and wouldn't break the bank. This unit does all that but I'm finding one annoying trait regarding finding addresses. If you don't know the city that your address (or intersection) is in you're out of luck. Since this is my first foray into GPS I was wondering if this was common to all GPS units?

I was trying to lay out a route that I had been on before and could only remember the intersection where we started on this certain road. I was unable to find it until I zoomed out, got in the general area, zoomed in and selected a point on that road. At that point I could see what city this address was attached to. The Magellan way to find an address is city first followed by street then number, is this common to the Garmin's, Tom Tom's and Lowrance's as well?

It's not a big deal but it does make finding an unknown location difficult at times (example: I was unable to locate Brendans address because the Magellan shows his address not a good number. When I manually located it by using BK's directions I found that it was attached to a different town, when I used that city all was good.)"

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The unit I have is the Garmin Quest. You first put in the state then the city or spell the city; then the numerical; then the street name. Then it list all those addresses that match in surrounding cities and moves to furtherest matching addresses.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
msheron, thanks for the reply.

A good test would be this intersection: Ohio Rt 60 and RT 16. I couldn't remember what town we were close to so I was unable to find it until I did what I posted earlier and found that it was addressed in Dresden, Oh. (BTW Rt 60 north from here is a SWEET ride). Would the Garmin let me leave the City blank or are you forced to enter it?

I did alot of research before buying but was forced to buy based on features because every place I went didn't have the model I was looking for or I was so deep in a building that I couldn't get a sat fix to see how it really worked. This is a minor annoyance that I can work around but if another brand doesn't have this problem then I would consider them for a future purchase.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some more research I'll probably be moving over to a Garmin 2720. I'm a little "discussion" with Magellan's "tech support" right now and fighting for a refund is probably my project for later today. The 2720 doesn't do everything I want but what I find important I think it will do better.

If any of you have this model, I have some specific questions for you if you'd be willing to help me out. Either PM me or post a reply and we can share with the world.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Steve -

Did you end up getting the 2720? How do you like it? That's the one I'm considering right now, as I'd like it for both car and bike, and it is compatible with that slick SW Motech mount that Twisted Throttle sells.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm watching for the big brown truck as we speak (er.. type) that is bringing my 2720! If you're interested go to http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=268. They have the best price I could find and they seem like good people after talking to them on the phone. Once I get everything, I'll post back on the install and what problems that entailed (hopefully none).

I want to get everything up and running before we head off to BK's since I now have the weekend off and am able to go!

I'm also planning on a post regarding the "discussion" with Magellan but that will wait until the Garmin gets here.

Later,

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Cool, looking forward to hearing the results.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I found a good deal on a Quest 2 on ADV, so I'm gonna go that route. Should be interesting to see how the two stack up against each other, I'm sure we can do some comparing on that camping trip which I also hope to make.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! I hope everything shows up on Monday so I can get started. I picked up the Garmin mount so I can connect the GPS straight to the battery and have a headphone outlet to hear the british chick tell me when to turn! I figured that way I wouldn't have to wire in a power outlet yet. That's something for another day.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
How are you going to wire it? I want switched power so I don't forget and leave it turned on when I park the bike. That's totally something I would do :)

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I went with this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1053

This will be attached to a Ram Mount above the instruments at the base of the windshield.

I'll have to make sure I either turn it off or remove it and store it. I'll probably go the storage route more often just for security. Another option may be to install a fuse block that is switched and wire all the accessories to that. Right now, though, I'm going straight to the battery just to get it installed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Steve, how's it working???

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it yesterday and played with it for awhile and it is a whole lot better than the magellan. So far it's passed all the tests I've given it now I just need to learn it and get it mounted on the bike. The Motorcycle mount from Garmin is a nice piece and it should mount right where I planned. So far very happy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts