StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellas,

I ordered some Madstad screen brackets for my DL650 from Mottorad Garage in Perth (Au Distributors) and got them 2 days later (pretty happy about that).

I fitted them yesterday morning and straight away seen that they made the screen sit out a fair bit more out front allowing more air to come from underneath the screen which I found to contribute to much better airflow.

Done a series of stop start high speed riding up and down the F3 between West Wallsend to Morriset turn off and back making adjustments for tilt and height.

I'm still getting some buffetting but not as bad as before so I might go for a different screen a bit later on but immediately found that I can ride with my visor up on the helmet for alot higher speeds than before. I much prefer to have my visor up most of the time unless raining and now I can ride at 100kph with it up instead of it being pushed down after I hit 80.

Having to be able to adjust the screen while sitting on the bike is a major bonus instead of having to take the screen off all the time.

Money well spent I reckon.

It cost me $141.00 including GST & Postage from Perth to Newcastle so that was ok I guess but I was thrilled at the service I was provided.

Still a bit of tweaking to do before I reach nirvana but hopefully getting there:yesnod:

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Registered
184 Posts
? new screen/Ethanol pollution

Like you I fitted Madstadt brackets soon after purchising 2011 Wee end of September last year. Have experienced similar positive outcomes and am extremly happy with the brackets. Kept looking around for different touring type screens then last week ordered a Touring Screen for the Wee, with an added 100mm on the top, from Screens For Bikes in Victoria. Contact with Peter, was quick and I paid by PayPal. New screen arrived yesterday and like you again, fairly heavy rain prevented me from going far. The added depth is interesting and I tried only back and forward movement on the lowest setting on a short return trip to Medlow Bath. Am very happy with new Australian made screen and the company/person, was a pleasure to do buisness with. The trip to Medlow was to the petrol station. Half way through the fill from the now 100 octane rated premiunm pump, I noticed a small green sticker saying petrol was mixed with Ethanol!! To late to stop, I asked attendant when paying about ethanol situation. A look at all the pumps showed that higher octane rated was all polluted with Ethanol. Will have to start looking for unpolluted premium if it can be found. Rod

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Rod,

I'll be interested to know how your new screen performs over a few rides using the brackets as I may have to go for a larger screen as weall.
I think that a wider screen might be the go with a little extra height.
I've doing a bit of reading about screens for the Wee and many have sung the virtues of the spoiler set-up.
I wonder if we can pass on our fuel oriented repair bills directly to B O'farrel care of NSW State gov.

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good buy, my tip .... once you find your nirvana setting, tighten the lower bolts and then mark the bracket with a dot of liquidpaper or a light scratch with a scribe/compass. This will help if it ever it moves (for whatever reason). I have the madstad touring screen on the braket and am very happy with the combo.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
F'enol

A look at all the pumps showed that higher octane rated was all polluted with Ethanol. Will have to start looking for unpolluted premium if it can be found. Rod[/QUOTE]

I have only covered about 35000kms on my 2009 DL650 and have had no problems with ethanol blends. I don't use it all the time but I've not noticed any significant decrease in performance or economy. I still get a consistant 23.5 kms/L when loaded at he legal limit. (GPS)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have only covered about 35000kms on my 2009 DL650 and have had no problems with ethanol blends. I don't use it all the time but I've not noticed any significant decrease in performance or economy. I still get a consistant 23.5 kms/L when loaded at he legal limit. (GPS)
I have noticed a measurable difference in economy using ethanol fuels.
91E10 being more expensive per km than both 95 and 98 octane

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used to have a bad vibration from around 6000 rpm intalled the mad and the sound is all gone, just another good point.

Chef

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chef

What kind of vibration was it?

I found it was hard to difference between any kind of vibration or just plain turbulence but since fitting the Madstad, I still get a little bit of buffetting but nothing like before and the bike feels as if it slices through the air better possibly because of the reduction of noise I'm getting from the helmet.

Even without adjusting anything, it made a difference because it pushes the screen slight out front more allowing more low pressure air coming from underneath equalising the flow better but I don't think I'll be able to do much more with this screen unless i get a wider and maybe slightly taller one.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Chef

What kind of vibration was it?

I found it was hard to difference between any kind of vibration or just plain turbulence but since fitting the Madstad, I still get a little bit of buffetting but nothing like before and the bike feels as if it slices through the air better possibly because of the reduction of noise I'm getting from the helmet.

Even without adjusting anything, it made a difference because it pushes the screen slight out front more allowing more low pressure air coming from underneath equalising the flow better but I don't think I'll be able to do much more with this screen unless i get a wider and maybe slightly taller one.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)
It was a vibration noise from the increesed RPM, I didnt have the sound when the screen was on low setting but when I lifted it higher the noise started. The sound wasnt from air but more engine vibration (still there when stoped and I reved the engine) at first I thought it was coming from the dash.

chef

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aaaaahh yes.....starting to get closer to comfort nirvana with using the Madstad brackets. Went for a good ride around the Newcastle area this arvo...what a bonza day:yesnod: nice 25C sunny with a light wind and with a few extra tweeks of adjustment now have me riding up to 100kph with my helmet visor up and not getting my sunnies pushed into my face, can now hear every beautiful mechanical sound commin' from the V-twin and a major bonus, can now hear the great note coming from the staintune can....:thumbup:

Most reviews I've read on the Madstad brackets say that it's one of the best aftermarket devices you can get for the V-stroms...well so far..I'm hear to say..."they're not bloody wrong"!!:hurray:

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Laminar Lip

If you are still thinking a wider/taller screen might help, I can recommend the "Laminar Lip" stick-on. Quick mail-order from the states via their website, and made all the difference for the 6'2" me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that Yarra, I've had a good read about them after getting your post and they seem to have solved many a problem.
I'm still in the process of fine tuning the madstads and have got pretty close to getting a good happy medium...I can now ride with my visor up at 100kph without getting windblasted.

I still think a slighly wider and taller screen might be the go and use that laminar lip with it...I'm not as tall as you, I'm only 5' 10 and a bit but well rounded if ya know what i mean:green_lol:

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tall and Wide Isotta screens for Suzuki models

Hello guys I'd say that also there are much wider and taller Italian made screens.
Is called Isotta srl and also are cheap ones and you can get from www.euronetbike.net directly they have cheap shipping too.

hope it helps
Jon

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which screen did you guys get?

I looked at the website with the link you provided and they don't have any listing for the DL650.

cheers

wobbly_boot

·
Registered
184 Posts
screen

Hi wobbly boot. I initally got Madstadt brackets then recently got a DL touring screen from 'Screens for Bikes' here in Australia.Seems perfect. Rod

·
Registered
926 Posts
I bought my Madstad and a couple of other farkles from twisted throttle in America (I actually ordered it before I had taken possession of the bike!). Arrived less than a week later, and I think I actually saved money over buying it in Australia.
I tried about 4 different positions before settling on the lowest, most angled setting. I think I would actually be better off removing the screen entirely, but for the sake of aesthetics I will probably just get the shortest screen I can find. It made the Vee's turbulence from painful to being no worse than that experienced on any other bike. Overall I am pretty happy with the Madstad but I think it is only 70% of the solution. A different windscreen may make the other 30%.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Thunderdownunder had a new screen on his bike that he is extremely happy with. That calm behind the screen you could almost have a smoke was the way he described it.
I have only just put on the madstrad brackets as well, have the large Givi screen but am still playing with positions to find the best spot.

Cheers

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had to buy a new screen because the old one was damaged and scratched beyond saving.
GIVI make a two section screen called an Air Flow (google it) and at $230 bargained down from $260 I thought I would give it a go.
I Have Zero buffeting at any speed and I ride with the Flip top Helmet up and do so at speeds up to......well.. overtaking speeds that would have me locked up.
I have owned both Wee & now a Vee and buffeting was mind/ear/ eye numbing, now it is so calm behind the screen I seriously am looking for an ashtray.
I would think that the Vario screen and the Mustard bracket would do the same but having ridden bikes with both fitted I will say the Air flow is the ducks nuts. It is instantly adjustable over a large range and my two up lady friend would agree that we can hold a conversation now while riding.
Fitting takes 3 minutes and fit is precise.
Downside...
In the Summer in Brisbane It does not provide enough air flow into my chest and face so I remove the front slider.
Three images attached with both High (for when is pissing down)and low position shown for small riders. My position is 50mm up from low (6ft 1inch).
Recommended without reservation and best of all no more annoying ear plugs

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/g...ivi_airflow_adjustable_windshields/index.html

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
So you choose to ride a motorcycle and spend a lot of money to keep the wind out of hair--:biggrinjester:--a car does that-:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts