1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Any noise I get from my screen seems to be coming from the black plastic cover strips that mount on the outside of the screen.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Mine got rattling to, and I tightened the guide screws a bit and it went away. It all looked tight, but one of them was just loose enough to rattle at speed.

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
Mine got rattling to, and I tightened the guide screws a bit and it went away. It all looked tight, but one of them was just loose enough to rattle at speed.
Ditto. Check the bottom nuts and bolts. There's fine line between keeping it adjustable and preventing them from rattling.

Now if I could only isolate the damn whistle I have!!!

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
An inexpensive alternative

I don't mean this to knock the madstad, but that inexpensive fix I posted has held up very well. Never loosens up, and changes the wind trajectory to my satisfaction(6'5"). If you guys ever get tired of the madstad, you might want to try THIS.

I did have to hunt through a few hardware stores, (2 different ACE hardware stores had the parts.) but I am pleased with the results. I've had the bike up to 90mph since the original post and it seems stable. Never had to re-tighten once.

·
0 Posts
One thing I did when I installed my Madstad was to replace the washers on the SMALL bottom bolts to nylon washers. It allows them to be tightened tighter...but still be able to slide...no metal to metal contact either.

Just my two cents.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
My Madstad is a year old and maybe the model has changed some. Mine came with the locking bolts on the bottom and wingnut on the top. In April when I got my Givi the wingnut setup was not strong enough to hold the larger shield in place at hiway speeds. Mark sent me the the new knobs with the rubber washer and that was the solution for holding the shield in place. However, I still needed to use a wrench to Make adjustments so as to loosen the bottom bolts. I switched out the bottom bolts with the original wingnuts and added rubber washers and now the shield is rock solid and can be adjusted in seconds even while wearing gloves.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I almost lost a few parts of my Madstad yesterday after riding some gravel roads. One of the adjustment knobs was hanging on by about a thread and a half :D I cranked it back down with my fingers, and so far it's all good.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I was driving down a local interstate the other day and all of a sudden, I lost the bolt and the wingnut from mine. I has come loose a few different times, but this time I didn't see it till it was too late. Interesting so far is that it doesn't seem to vibrate or anything with only 1 side tightened down, but I haven't gone that fast since then.

Tom

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any noise I get from my screen seems to be coming from the black plastic cover strips that mount on the outside of the screen.
I just developed a little vibration rattle that I think is coming from the right side cover. Should be easy enough to address, either by tightening the screw or proper placement of a little foam tape. The hard part will be remembering to address my girlfriend first. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts