StromTrooper banner

MAdstad and Suzuki Factory Screen

• No buffeting after setting it up and I love my Strom

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • Still got the buffeting!! Is there another solution?

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people have apparently opted for the Madstad Bracket, did it cure the buffeting after you fine tuned it for your 'freeways' and give you the protection from the elements you expected from the Suzuki screen??

I'm just about the buffeting not the wind noise which is irrelevent in real terms, but buffeting can stop any chance of touring with the risk of a headache.

there's lots of references to the bracket across many posts, but with various screens, and if there's a consensus that you can keep the stock screen then it will potentially save people some cash.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Installed to specs I had minor buffeting at freeway speeds. I moved things a tad higher and it was totally gone. No reason for me to drop more cash on an aftermarket shield. ;)

-GW

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Can't vote.
There is no option for those of us who don't have a Madstad and don't have buffeting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't vote.
There is no option for those of us who don't have a Madstad and don't have buffeting.
Simply because I've tried every variation I could think of with the stock bracket and screen inc spacers all over and no success, so I'm simply getting an idea how successful the Madstad is.

I've the feeling some have spent a lot on cash on various screens/brackets, I can't afford that.

It helped quite a bit, but still there. Bought a Givi, much better.
How tall are you Foxer??

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Tried the Madstad with the stock shield and with a GIVI.

The GIVI is the solution for me. Great coverage and no buffeting in clean air. Behind a semi in a 3/4 crosswind is another story.

I measure 18 hands tall at the bald spot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just over 3/4 reckon it works without buffeting?? That's not bad, not bad at all. And for less than $100 shipped across the 'pond' .......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!

Decided to place the order and waiting for it to cross the Atlantic 'pond' With those odds it's worth a try.

Appriciated:D

Grrrrrrrr:)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's worth it. IMO, that's how it should've come from the factory. Calling the factory setup "adjustable" is kind of a stretch. Madstad FTW!

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Yes it cured my buffeting, but I also added the Laminar lip. With this combo I get no buffeting and great protection from elements. At stops on long trips, everyone has to clean their helmet shield from the bugs. I don't get hit by the bugs at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2 models...

Any feedback on the standard bracket versus the "specialty" version (AWM-04-MP)???

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Any feedback on the standard bracket versus the "specialty" version (AWM-04-MP)???
Funny you should ask.

Short answer, no, no feedback from me. But not 5 minutes ago I wrote to Madstad telling them I ride with the Givi shield in an elevated position (on the factory mounts) so I asked them it the 7" taller and 4" wider Givi would be better suited on the AWM-04-MP mount rather than the AWM-04 mount. The MP mount is a heavier 14ga stainless steel rather than the standard shield's 16ga stainless steel. For an extra 5 bucks, the thicker steel sounds good to me.

When/if I get a reply, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After much experimenting I finally have my stock screen and madstad set up to my liking. Madstad mounted in the highest position possible with the screen as high as possible. Has stopped the buffeting and I can over the screen (I'm 5' 10").

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Funny you should ask.

Short answer, no, no feedback from me. But not 5 minutes ago I wrote to Madstad telling them I ride with the Givi shield in an elevated position (on the factory mounts) so I asked them it the 7" taller and 4" wider Givi would be better suited on the AWM-04-MP mount rather than the AWM-04 mount. The MP mount is a heavier 14ga stainless steel rather than the standard shield's 16ga stainless steel. For an extra 5 bucks, the thicker steel sounds good to me.

When/if I get a reply, I'll post it here.
Tomorrow is payday, and an order for a standard bracket will be placed by me.

My question to Madstad via their website-

Hello, I'll be ordering one of your brackets in the next couple days, but I have a question first. My bike- 2007 DL650 VStrom, Givi windshield, model specific to the VStrom. This Givi is larger than the OEM shield, about 7" taller and 4" wider. I currently ride with the Givi shield set in a raised position, compared to the factory windshield mounting position. Would it be better to order your standard AWM-04 bracket, or should I order the beefier AWM-04-MP bracket? The cost difference is not a concern to me. Extra beef in the bracket sounds good to me. If I read your product information correctly, the MP bracket will also work with other shields, but is also made specifically for the MP windshield, which (with 2007 model years and older) has a different hole pattern than the OEM and may be larger or heavier as well. Thank you.

And their reply, received today-

Hi Steve,

The MP brackets have both sets of windshield holes: Suzuki and MP Cycle. In order to get both sets of holes onto the same bracket, I had to modify the design slightly with a wider mounting area and the base brackets angled inward past 90 degrees (because the MP holes are closer together than Suzuki's). This means the brackets have a slight "zig-zag" look when viewing them from the driver's seat.

The sliding and tilting functions are basically the same, but there is a bit more resistance when tilting backward because the left and right sides are not parallel to each other. The resistance comes from the flex in the metal as you pull the shield backward. It's not a problem, just the nature of the design. The extra "beef" meaning thicker stainless steel was by request of MP Cycle because the fixed brackets they provided were the heavier 14 gauge and they felt it was better for some of their larger and heavier windshields. The fact is that my brackets eliminate the need for large/heavy windshields because you no longer have to hide behind a "barn door" to escape the turbulence; the turbulence is gone because my brackets alter the airflow. MP Cycle doesn't sell very many large/heavy shields anymore because of this. I've had riders up to 6'2" that told me they were getting a smooth ride using my brackets and just the stock windshield, but typically if you are 6'0" or taller you may want a taller shield, though not necessarily 7" higher than stock.

I have many customers with large Givi windshields on my standard brackets and no complaints, so I'm sure you will be fine either way you choose to go. Since you already have the Givi and are concerned about the weight of it, go ahead and order the beefier MP version of my brackets and if you aren't happy with them I'll send you the regular version instead and credit back the difference. If you aren't happy with either one I'll just give you your money back so you have nothing to lose either way. We just want you to enjoy your ride.

Thank you for your interest!

Best regards,
Mark Stadnyk
MadStad Engineering

http://madstad.com/

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Oh dear .... that makes me a loony biker:p
Yeah, I saw that quote somewhere, a photography magazine, maybe, and I thought, "Boy, that fits me perfectly!"

Well, I just sent some of my hard earned money to Florida for the regular bracket, should be in service by next weekend if the mailman cooperates.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's alright for you, I got to wait until someone rows across the ocean to deliver mine. couple of weeks I figure just as the snow is coming tomorrow:confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts