StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really hate to say that the Madstad windshield bracket is useless, but it really was a waste of money. If you're like me, you wanted to get rid of wind buffeting at highway speeds and have a smoother ride across long hours of pavement. So I bought a Givi shield (D260ST) and the Madstat bracket. But unfortunately the Madstad bracket is poorly designed and fails on the highway at speeds over 70 (less if you have a head wind). The bracket just won't stay secure and the windshield creeps back until it's tilted back as far as possible (BTW, this means tilting back to where the bracket digs into windshield itself, another bad design). It only takes about 10 minutes of riding for this happen, and now the windshield, well, doesn't shield the wind anymore. I'm actually worst off than without the bracket, so you just have to stop and put the windshield to the lowest position, like stock, so that it won't creep back.

Hopefully they come out with a better design, but until then I'd say look at other options.

Sorry to the 'bad' farkle post.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Let me suggest a mod to help you keep the Madstad in place:

The Madstad worked well for me on the stock screen, and damn near perfection on the Givi.

Oh, and speeds....makes no difference in my beta testing to 110mph.

Wind, yes, that can impact things, no surprise there, these aren't Goldwings.

You might want to detail your height/inseam to add some credibility to your claim.

Did you buy an old one used, perhaps worn out?

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Yeah....they must be junk, reckon only a couple have been sold since it was invented.:bom_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Great piece of kit!

I didn't have a problem with that, but felt that it may happen in the future when you least expected it. To head it off I added a couple of small hard rubber washers behind the nut. Tightens it up even more. :thumbup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now I am starting to worry. I just bought my madstad today. Although I only paid 50 bucks for it. My neighbor sold his strom and had it brand new, never used. I figured it's worth 50 dollars to try.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
While the Madstad did not stop the wind buffetting issue, it did allow me to reduce it. I did not like the big parachute Givi screen in cross winds. Stock screen, madstad, Rick's mirror extenders, and a laminar lip have combined to make the issue a non-issue.

Never had the madstad slip while riding

Maybe find an old Windjammer from a 1978 CB550 and MacGruber it on the Strom

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. Mine would not stay up at higher speeds, no matter how tight I made the screws (even using a wrench).

I used 4 bolts (with nuts) and now it stays put.

Peter

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I really hate to say that the Madstad windshield bracket is useless, but it really was a waste of money.

Hopefully they come out a better design, but until then I'd say look at other options.

Sorry to the 'bad' farkle post.
There is an older version with nuts tightened by wrench, and a newer version with hand tightened knobs, which do you have?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Love mine, and did have an issue at first.
Then I tightened it with a pair of channel locks:mrgreen:
Hasnt moved since, except in my wreck a week ago and Givi windshield disintegrated and one mount bent to hell.
Other still is in same position.
Mike

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Have to wonder if the OP has an older Madstad, with the different tightening process, because mine is rock solid at any speeds, for months.

I also beleive that some people do not know how to adjust the Madstad correct, and make too large of changes.

I have mentioned it before, but the difference between slight buffeting, and damn near bliss, was probably 1/4" in angle for me.

That would be my biggest advice, based on my personal experience...make tiny incremental changes once you start getting close.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine works perfectly, never shifts from where I set it, hand-tightened only (and not even that tight).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is there a difference between the older and newer models other than the way the bolts are tightened?
I'm planning on getting one with the Givi windscreen.
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Is there a difference between the older and newer models other than the way the bolts are tightened?
I'm planning on getting one with the Givi windscreen.
Greg
Nope. Old style has plain old butterfly nuts while the new style has knobs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine has the plastic knobs, which are pretty small and don't allow for much torque. Even with leather gloves, I can crank them down, only for them loosen up after a few highway miles. And of course it has crept back already. Also, the knobs are very close to the windshield so you really can't get a good grip to begin with.

I was looking for someone here who may have a good solution for this problem, but I found that many people are complaining about the same issue. I see that someone mentions replacing the knob with some nuts, but that kinda defeats the advertised feature of being able to adjust the windshield on-the-fly.

I must also say the the sheet metal doesn't really seem all that sturdy, and may be contributing to the problem by allowing the windshield shake loose.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mine has the plastic knobs, which are pretty small and don't allow for much torque. Even with leather gloves, I can crank them down, only for them loosen up after a few highway miles. And of course it has crept back already. Also, the knobs are very close to the windshield so you really can't get a good grip to begin with.

I was looking for someone here who may have a good solution for this problem, but I found that many people are complaining about the same issue. I see that someone mentions replacing the knob with some nuts, but that kinda defeats the advertised feature of being able to adjust the windshield on-the-fly.

I must also say the the sheet metal doesn't really seem all that sturdy, and may be contributing to the problem by allowing the windshield shake loose.
Well, it may not actually defeat the purpose by using nuts. I mean, depends on your use, but for me, now that I have found the sweet spot, I feel like pouring loctite and crazy glue all over the moving parts....LOL

I think, for some, the idea of the adjusting is to fine tune it to your specific windshield, and liking, not so much adjusting it for each day.

You have not told us how tall you are, or your inseam....I'm very curious, as this must have some serious impact on the effectiveness.

"Sheet metal"?? Mine's relatively heavy duty...for what it is, certainly not going to bend or flex enough to make any difference, unless I stand on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think, for some, the idea of the adjusting is to fine tune it to your specific windshield, and liking, not so much adjusting it for each day.

You have not told us how tall you are, or your inseam....I'm very curious, as this must have some serious impact on the effectiveness.
Being able to adjust it, if not daily, is one of the advertised features. For me, depending on the temperature, which actually does change daily, I want to be able to raise it in the mornings, and lower it for better airflow in the evenings.

I'm 6'1'' and my inseam is 33in. I also have the Suzuki Gel seat which is nearly an inch taller than stock. So when I'm taking 120 mile jaunts, like yesterday to a state park, I do need the shield to be at the highest position.

I think the Madstad bracket is a good idea, if it would do what the company claims. But it just has some bad designs which cause it to fail.

I see some people suggest using channel lock pliers, or replace the knob with bolts and nuts, or replace with sandpaper washers, or lock washers, or even locktite. I guess I could jerry rig it to make it work (if that's what it takes).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts