StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems everyone is impressed with the new bracket as am I. I still do not have mine adjusted just right (it is already much better). I spent Saturday and Sunday stopping every 50 miles to try another position. So, I thought it might be good for all of us to share the best adjustments we have found for our set up.

I am about 5' 7" with a gel seat and Genmar up and back risers. I have the stock screen and a Touring Laminar Lip.

With the lip on, full up and 1/2 tilted back seems to be best but I look through the shield. I like it without the lip best and half way up and half tilted back is great, quiet and no turbulence except for a turbulent wind blast coming from inside my left mirror that is real loud (yes, left mirror only). I can hold my hand by the mirror and it stops. Weird. Maybe the wind? So I do a U turn and head the other way. No change. This has got to be something strange about my bike and I will try to figure it out.

So please share. What are the best set ups for you? This could save us lots of time and adjustment. I a thinking I just need a wider screen like the Givi. We shall see. I do think that this bracket is well worth the money and time.

Just Bill

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I just got mine on Friday evening and rode most of the day Saturday with it on. I started out with the bracket mounted in the middle position and the recommended adjustments and they were pretty close. First stop I moved it down and forward and that seemed a little worse. Next stop I intended to go up and back but I think I went the wrong way and it was really bad.

Third stop I went all the way up and all the way back and it was dead calm behind it. There was some ambient wind all day and it always managed to come from the side, but other than that it was just dead calm behind the screen. That's where I left mine and it works great for me with the stock screen.

Edit: Height - 6'-0"

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got a Givi mounted in the lowest position and tilted fully back. So far, it works great. I'm heading from northern Minnesota to Puget Sound on Thursday, so I may have to make an adjustment or two, depending on the winds of Montana.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't forget to post your height :)

Mine is in the middle position, all the way back. Can ride with the visor open, up to 60 mph.

Haven't tried any other settings, though I should.

I'm 5'11".

·
Registered
97 Posts
The MadStad rocks! I'm 5'9, with the temps above 100F lately I've been running the stock screen all the way down and about 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way tilted back, for as much airflow on me as possible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ADJUSTABLE WINDSCREEN MOUNT

JUST GOT THE ADJ. BRACKET ON SATURDAY AND IT'S WONDERFUL !!!
i'M 5' 11" AND IT SEEMS TO WORK BEST ALL THE WAY UP AND ALL THE WAY BACK,NO BUFFETTING AND PLENTY OF AIR ON THE 90 DEGREE DAYS. IF I WANT LOTS OF AIR I JUST PUT IT DOWN AND BACK!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a stock screen and I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. I never experienced any buffeting, but wind noise was annoying. My Madstat arrived today and I adjusted it about 10 times. I don't know that I am done fine tuning, but I am pretty happy with the bracket in the high mounting position and extended fully up with a tilt back of aprox. 1/6 of the available travel. Oddly enough I got pretty similar results with the bracket in the middle position and the shield slid up aprox. 2/3 of the travel and tilted back about 1/3. I took notes every time I made an adjustment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just Bill said:
It seems everyone is impressed with the new bracket as am I. I still do not have mine adjusted just right (it is already much better). I spent Saturday and Sunday stopping every 50 miles to try another position. So, I thought it might be good for all of us to share the best adjustments we have found for our set up.
Bill,

I hope someone that is 6'5" or taller post before I buy one.<G> Need to know if it would work with someone that tall. I would like to find a gadget that cuts down a little more on the buffeting than the lip.

Take care,

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
bigtexrider said:
I hope someone that is 6'5" or taller post before I buy one.<G> Need to know if it would work with someone that tall. I would like to find a gadget that cuts down a little more on the buffeting than the lip.
I am "only" 6'2", but I want to point out that the MadStad brackets have a vast range. In addition to the slider, the base bracket can be mounted at various heights (like the original windscreen brackets). If you can't find a height that works with the MadStad, you will have to fabricate your own screen.

But it is the ability to angle the screen that seems to reduce buffeting most for me, not screen height. I run my screen fairly low, with a 1/3 (from upmost) slant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
madstad bracked

I am 5"7" I went on a long trip and adjusted the stock shield many times. I kept the bracket in the middle position the whole time. My best position is half way up and half way tilted back. I had no buffeting until I got up to 90+. I tried moving the screen all the way up and and all the way foward. to much buffeting. I am going to try moving the bracket up and the retry everything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
John,

I'm 6'5". MadStad bracket with stock windscreen (highest position/fully forward) has the airflow going just over my helmet, with no discernable buffeting. Windscreen fully forward but tilted all the way back allows TOTALLY clean air, and A WHOLE LOT of it on the chest area (makes for a very cool ride here in AZ)....as do any of the lower positions, especially tilted backward toward me.

My 23.5" Cee Bailey can now be mounted much lower than with stock mount, and the adjustable angle of the new bracket just makes so much sense, it's silly. Totally calm to lot's of airflow, whichever one desires.

I'm sold 100+ percent.

Take care,

John[/quote]

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Got some info from Mark Stadnyk/Madstad Engineering. His bracket will fit Suzuki, MRA Vario, Cee Bailey, Eagle, Windstrom and a few others. It will not fit Rifle or MP Cycle. The MP shield can be made to fit by a slight mod to the holes in the shield. On the plus side for all of us is this. Mark is working with MP Cycle to make a version of his bracket to fit the MP shield. Sounds like Mark likes MP shields enough to go that extra mile.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that the MadStad bracket is a great addition. It will not solve every problem for everyone. Airflow problems on the Strom have always been an "every man for himself deal" because they vary so. My stock shield works better alone than with the Laminar Touring Lip with the new bracket. That was not the case before the MadStad by a long shot. Now the only problem I have is wind buffeting coming from inside my left (that's right, one side only) mirror. I can stop it by holding my hand right beside the mirror (but approaching cages wave or slow down when I do that and besides, I can't use the clutch). I think a wider shield will solve this one little issue by pushing the side draft outside the mirror. Anyone have a Givi for sale?

Just Bill

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm still impressed with my MadStad. Yesterday I ended up riding past 9 p.m. on the freeway after a trip through the mountains. So it was kinda chilly that late at night.

I adjusted the screen all the way up and flat so it blocked mucho wind, and I wasn't cold anymore.

I hadn't yet considered this weather-adapting benefit from having an easily adjustable screen. Very nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fogllama said:
But it is the ability to angle the screen that seems to reduce buffeting most for me, not screen height. I run my screen fairly low, with a 1/3 (from upmost) slant.
Guess for the price it is worth a try. I don't have severe buffeting but would like to get rid of what I do have. I'm use to riding the ST1100 in dead calm. May not get there but will give it a try, thanks.

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is worth the money, John. Now height and angle are not issues. The stock shield works much better with the bracket. I now know the problem for me is width of the shield, the blast is coming around the shield too close in, hitting the mirror/hand guard and then the side of my helmet. I can feel it with my hand as I ride. Other than that, it is great and I can live with it. I think I will try a Givi, but this problem seems to be solved by each individual, there is no universal solution. Weird, huh?

Just Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
THe MadStad/23.5" Cee Bailey is as close to ST1100 (had two!) calm as can be....for ME. Half way up and all the way forward.

I'm talking faceshield up, and no need for earplugs with a quiet helmet! I wear plugs anyway, but don't have to....dead calm on a windless day.

On hot days, all the way down and all the way back (looks goofy as hell) equals a tremendous amount of airflow, with zero buffeting.

I'm still 6'5".

bigtexrider said:
fogllama said:
Guess for the price it is worth a try. I don't have severe buffeting but would like to get rid of what I do have. I'm use to riding the ST1100 in dead calm. May not get there but will give it a try, thanks.

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
xrmattaz said:
THe MadStad/23.5" Cee Bailey is as close to ST1100 (had two!) calm as can be....for ME. Half way up and all the way forward.

I'm talking faceshield up, and no need for earplugs with a quiet helmet! I wear plugs anyway, but don't have to....dead calm on a windless day.

On hot days, all the way down and all the way back (looks goofy as hell) equals a tremendous amount of airflow, with zero buffeting.

I'm still 6'5".
Thanks for posting. You're normal height and can compare to the ST. Guess I'll get off the fence and order.

Take care,

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts