StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past few days I made some stays and happy with the money I saved and how they turned out. It was well worth the effort and I'm anxious to try the setup out in a few days through Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Virgina, and Pennsylvania. I've used these Nelson Rigg SE-3050 on a few trips and so far I love them. We have a set on my wife's Himalayan and she loves them too; highly recommend them.

Sorry if the pictures loaded oriented the wrong way...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I had a lot of fun making them. It has been a little while since I've done some fabricating. It's always a plus when it turns out like the vision and is functional.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thanks! I had a lot of fun making them. It has been a little while since I've done some fabricating. It's always a plus when it turns out like the vision and is functional.
Plus its also just plain old fun rolling your own. Not always the cheapest but the most satisfying.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
" just plain old fun rolling your own."

Yeah, a big doobie is always a work of art. That's what you meant, right? :wink2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@richlandrick

Not completely no, and I do realize it can act like a big pretty bar. My bags still have the velcro straps going tight over the seat and grab handles holding most of the weight. In a way they are supporting each other since the bags are also strapped to the stays I made. They are really just there for stability and not holding all the weight. If my bags didn't have the velcro straps I wouldn't be using them in the manner that I am. That would be too much weight supported only be my stays. If I were offroading and risked dropping my bike I would have put extra support points to the frame but for my use I feel this will be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I got a Shad framework that keeps the Nelson Rigg bags way to far out.
That arrangement you built may be just the thing for soft luggage. Nothing more than it needs to be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a Shad framework that keeps the Nelson Rigg bags way to far out.
That arrangement you built may be just the thing for soft luggage. Nothing more than it needs to be.
It's simple and I'm happy with the width too. The bags are only an inch be it two wider than my bars and there is plenty of space between the muffler and the right bag.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did 513 miles today and I'm very happy with the bags and the supports. As I said this bike will at most see gravel roads but with the pavement pounding I did today they barely moved. I watched them periodically over all types of road conditions and they were very stable with no excessive bouncing or anything to cause immediate concern. I might add an additional support to each at some point but for now I see no reason to do it immediately. Each bag probably weighed about 15-18 pounds and the did not move or reposition against the supports. I had to tighten a couple of the straps a bit but that was from the soft bags and their contents settling. Nature of the beast with soft bags.

Again, I'm very pleased with the project and it's nice to use these bags on this bike.

Oh, and my Nelson Rigg XL bike cover fits ever everything perfect. What's more perfect is the peg feelers actual fit in the grommets of the cover when folded up and help keep the cover down . I don't have to worry about running the bungee cord underneath the bike against the exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If you only need to keep the bags off the wheel and not hold the bags up I just used flat aluminium bar.

One end bolted down near the pillion pegs, then a bend or two and bolted to the licence plate holder.

This worked on my Wee and my V2 though each were built slightly differently.

It didn't take any of the skills you have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's definitely one way to do it, nothing wrong with doing it differently.

Part of the reason I did it the way I did it is because I wanted more broad support against the back side of each bag and each bag has four straps to position and secure the bags to the bike. The bent up 3/8" round rod fulfilled both of those needs by giving the straps a surface to fasten to.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I had the PMR soft saddle bag racks on my 650 and they were great. Very sturdy and cheap enough. I wish they made some for my Gen 2 1000.

No offense to any one but a couple of stand offs and a plastic plate doesn't seem worth $75 to me.

I would want the OPs rack attached into the frame like the OEM mounts. Where Adventuretech mounts their standoffs. My opinion is the main bar will bend if the bike tips over onto it, left side mainly. I've bent the bracket on the passenger peg that is used for the OEM hard luggage twice now when the bike has tipped over onto the left side.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I had the PMR soft saddle bag racks on my 650 and they were great. Very sturdy and cheap enough. I wish they made some for my Gen 2 1000.

No offense to any one but a couple of stand offs and a plastic plate doesn't seem worth $75 to me.

I would want the OPs rack attached into the frame like the OEM mounts. Where Adventuretech mounts their standoffs. My opinion is the main bar will bend if the bike tips over onto it, left side mainly. I've bent the bracket on the passenger peg that is used for the OEM hard luggage twice now when the bike has tipped over onto the left side.
If you dump the bike you are going to bend 90% of the pannier brackets on the market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts