StromTrooper banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Everybody mounts the bottom of the case to the racks. I mounted the case top to the rack. Made a restraint so the case only opens about 75 deg. Easier to pack into the semi-horizontal bottom and then close the case. Some reusable shopping bags are close enough in size to make good bag liners for the Pelican 1500s.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Hola. I mounted a set of Sea Horse boxes on the stock frame too. I used big fender washers under the bolt heads to spread the load.
I was going to make them removable so I bent some strap so the bottom bit hooked over the factory frame.
Since I don't' take them off I cut the handles off so I had a larger flat surface on top.
Sure beats the price of Pelican stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I checked out the ones at HFT this weekend - not quite as big as I'd hoped, so I'm comparing the #'s to make sure I'm properly calibrated.

Harbor Freight 3800 Watertight Protective Case - 16-5/16 In.
SKU 63927
Inside Length (in.) 14-15/16 in.
Inside Height (in.) 6-11/16 in.
Inside Width (in.) 10-9/16 in.
IP65 rated

Member's Mark 20 Case -
Inside dimensions: 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
IP55 rated

Here's difference between the two standards -

IP55 Protected from limited dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

IP65 Protected from total dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

So... internally as mounted, the Sam's club ones are...
- a little over 3" longer, well over 2" taller and similar in depth to the HFT model.
- slightly less dust resistant, if that matters.
- $10 cheaper each ($20 cheaper overall)

Edit:

For reference, a Pelican 1400 is common but smaller in size to the HFT case, but is tested to IP67 (Dust Proof, submersible to 1M for 30 minutes) and costs about $73. ID = 11.81 x 8.87 x 5.18

This Monoprice one is closer in size to the Sam's club one, also IP67, and about $86

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I checked out the ones at HFT this weekend - not quite as big as I'd hoped, so I'm comparing the #'s to make sure I'm properly calibrated.

Harbor Freight 3800 Watertight Protective Case - 16-5/16 In.
SKU 63927
Inside Length (in.) 14-15/16 in.
Inside Height (in.) 6-11/16 in.
Inside Width (in.) 10-9/16 in.
IP65 rated

Member's Mark 20 Case -
Inside dimensions: 18.06" x 12.89" x 6.72"
IP55 rated

Here's difference between the two standards -

IP55 Protected from limited dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

IP65 Protected from total dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

So... internally as mounted, the Sam's club ones are...
- a little over 3" longer, well over 2" taller and similar in depth to the HFT model.
- slightly less dust resistant, if that matters.
- $10 cheaper each ($20 cheaper overall)

Edit: For reference, a Pelican 1400 is similar in size to the HFT case, but is tested to IP67 (Dust Proof, submersible to 1M for 30 minutes) and costs about $73.
I had my MCM Electronics cases that are probably the exact same case as the Sam's Club one and had no problem riding in the rain. No leakage whatsoever. RCnNC has tons of miles on his and I doubt his have leaked either. BTW, you don't need a Sam's Club membership to buy these. Go to your local Sam's and they'll give you a guest pass. Might be 10%, but that's not much when they are so cheap already.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
The side cases have never leaked, in spite of the numerous holes in them from the various mounting systems I've installed. I was going to buy a new set for the latest attachment system, but eventually figured "why?", and kept the old ones. As far as using a fender washer inside my cases, I didn't. I used a finish washer which makes for a clean install; plus, the inside of my cases have a 1/4" sheet of ABS on the side that attaches to the bike, to strengthen the case.

My top case did leak once. The rubber gasket had started to deteriorate a little in one of the corners. I fixed it with a piece of nylon rope and some outdoor silicone caulk.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I picked these up at a swap meet last year, but never did anything with them (see below). They're old military surplus cases designed for specific tasks, so I had to gut the insides out a bit. These might work on some Givi racks with a little MacGyvering. I'm buying Givi racks because I'll eventually get some small 22 Liter side bags. I'm retired on Social Security so I have to pace my spending. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I picked these up at a swap meet last year, but never did anything with them (see below). They're old military surplus cases designed for specific tasks, so I had to gut the insides out a bit. These might work on some Givi racks with a little MacGyvering. I'm buying Givi racks because I'll eventually get some small 22 Liter side bags. I'm retired on Social Security so I have to pace my spending. What do you think?
Looks good! So that's what the red looks like when it's shiny.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got 2 free pelican 1520 cases, but have no racks. I need to find some $100 racks somewhere.
This is a nice setup.
Do you want some photos of my pelicans with the rack attachments. I dont think it would be hard to make the brackets you need for yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picked up these cases and found a way to mount them pretty easily. No quick release yet, but I will probably leave them on most of the time.

If there is a sams club near you these cases are on sale now for $19.00 each. That’s a great deal!
Good Job they look great!!! Is there an O-ring between the case and the door to keep the water out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, an O-ring and these things are pretty tight despite the IP55 rating - and super strong. Really a nice case for the money.

So far I have shot them with a pressure washer and only a small droplet got in from a hole that I mistakingly widened with a bad measurement. Other than that, no water inside. It’s also pollen season here and there is no nasty yellow powder inside the cases but plenty on the black paint.

I have also yanked on them with everything I’ve got and almost pulled the bike on me, but the cases didn’t budge.

I’m still going to work on a quick release idea but I’m pretty happy with this $50 set up.... for now.

And yes, please post a pic of how you mounted yours.

Good Job they look great!!! Is there an O-ring between the case and the door to keep the water out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do you want some photos of my pelicans with the rack attachments. I dont think it would be hard to make the brackets you need for yours.
You made brackets to mount them without racks? If that's the case, yes, show me!!!

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Sam's Boxes..........

I'm finishing up the install of my Sam's Pelican-knockoffs and will post pics later. The boxes that Sam's currently sell are larger than the one's they use to offer for $19.95 (on sale), $24.95 regular price (I think). The one's selling now are larger and are $29.95, last time I was there. I considered them too large for my side panniers, so I stayed with the smaller units (I had already bought two when they came out a few years ago). Alittle history: before now, I used AMMO Cans for panniers........trimmed out much of the heavy steel on them, replaced with aluminum sides. I got the weights down from 22lbs to about 17lbs (each)........still too heavy for my likes. They held a ton of "schtuff" and were indestructible (and cheap, originally).....just too dang heavy. The smaller Sam's boxes weigh around 9-10 lbs each (if I remember correctly). Removing the carry handles and one side-latch deletes another 1 lb total. I don't need "quick-release" boxes. I have Happy-Trails 3/4" square rectangular rear racks, so I devised a mounting system (i.e. a bracket) to fit over the tops of both square bars (each side), and slide down....was not going to drill holes in my racks.......my pics will be worth a 1,000 words when I post them. I'm trimming away the rearmost "latch" mechanism and will mount a small plastic gas can in its place (for my Alaska Trip in May 2020), along with a bottle opener somewhere on the boxes.......and maybe a Helmet Hook. Also trimming the carry-handle mounting tabs......cutting them down flush with the top latches in case I need to tie-down a small bag resting on top of the boxes.....making the top as flat as possible.

I'm using a similar mounting system as I did with the ammo cans.........see here:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/57129-ammo-cans-diet.html

Stay tuned.......I'll post pics in a week or so of the Sam's boxes.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Here's how I mounted mine, with a quick release system made from a Southco rotary latch (the kind they use on equipment cases): All the parts are made from aluminum angle, flat stock, ABS sheet plastic and a couple pieces of 18 Gauge sheet steel. The cases release by just turning the butterfly latch. The locking pin is just a backup safety measure, plus you can put a padlock through the locking pin hole and lock the pannier to the racks.

This is the outside of the case:

The attachment plate with all the components comes off, so it can be moved from one pannier to another without having to re-measure the position of all the components.

This is the inside of the case:

Those Sam's Club cases look like the ones from MCM that were marketed under the name Duratool. I love them. There's at least 65 thousand miles on mine now, still going strong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did something similar with some Harbor Freight cases. They're a little smaller, but they have some new ones about the size of yours. They're bolted to the Givi mounts, but they don't really get in the way of chain or brake maintenance. I later bought some Givi N22's, but took them off and put my Harbor Freight bags back on. They're so much more user-friendly. I'll have those N22s on the market before long.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts