StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up these cases and found a way to mount them pretty easily. No quick release yet, but I will probably leave them on most of the time.

If there is a sams club near you these cases are on sale now for $19.00 each. That’s a great deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
How did you mount them?

·
Registered
402 Posts
^^^^What he said!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Looks like you used the stock Adventure hardware?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post some photos later. I used the stock racks and drilled holes in the cases after some measuring and templates. Removed the round bottom posts and went from the inside of the case into the rack. Removed and discarded the latch post from the upper part and used the bolt holes to put two bolts through the rack and into the case. Took maybe 15 minutes to complete. I plan on revising it with some twisty knob threaded thingys (technical term) to make them more user friendly, or easier to remove. As it sits, it’s a hex, wrench and Phillips to take off, which is fine because I plan to leave them on until I need to remove them.

It was something I wanted to try as an inexpensive alt being on a tight budget right now. Before I made the second one I really tried to rip the first one off, even kicked the crap out of a few times to test the strength etc and it wasn’t going anywhere so I went ahead with the other. I also noticed less ‘drag’ than the stock cases for sure, and it was very windy here today.

Pretty sure I have less than $45 in this whole project and I’m pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Will update with pics later.

Thank

Truman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got 2 free pelican 1520 cases, but have no racks. I need to find some $100 racks somewhere.
This is a nice setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I compared the case from sams to a pelican I have and the build quality is about even but the molded ribs are different. They appear to be the same as a Nanuk case. Of course sams can’t manufacture their own so they get them from somebody. They are very nice and at $19 they are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
For an additional $5-10 a couple of thrift store briefcases that approximately fit the id of the hard cases could give you a packing system modular enough to never need to quick release the hard cases.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some decades ago, I used two plastic coolers as panniers. To mount them on my GT550, I used 1 1/2" strips of aluminum from the hardware store, bent by hand (OK, vise and hammer) and held it together with pop rivets. A hinged top strap and hasp and padlock completed it. I took several trips with them, one more than 2009 miles. They worked fine.

If I can't find a way to mount my 35 year old BagMan saddle bags, I might try the cooler or storage case thing again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was all set to go with adventure dry saddlebags that I got really cheap, but the Pelicans fell into my lap. Now I'm torn...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those bags look good. I've seen something similar at Harbor Freight, but I'll need to get side racks first. I was thinking the Givi racks with 22 liter side cases, but these look much cheaper and about the size I want. I just couldn't snap these on and off as easily as the Givi cases, but I wouldn't have to put the key in every time I opened these bags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those bags look good. I've seen something similar at Harbor Freight, but I'll need to get side racks first. I was thinking the Givi racks with 22 liter side cases, but these look much cheaper and about the size I want. I just couldn't snap these on and off as easily as the Givi cases, but I wouldn't have to put the key in every time I opened these bags.
I saw that Harbor Freight had gotten into those Pelican style cases, are you saying they make one in approximately this size and price range?

That'd be cool since I don't have a Sam's Club membership

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are more detailed pics, not really a ‘how to’ but how it looked when done. I’m really bad about taking pics during a project to document the process.

My stock rack - I’m sure any one will work.
Removed the Givi contact points and eliminated the use of the latch post but kept the round bottom posts.
Templated the rack bolt locations and drilled the case.
Ran the round bottom posts from inside the case allowing the taper to pull the case close to the rack squeezing the rubber grommets.
Ran a similar sized bolt, washer, (case wall) nylon washer (rack) and nylon lock nut (in that order) from inside the case to the rack.

This system works well, is strong and definitely cheap. But I like the looks and can’t find it in me to pay $800 for cases because, I don’t ride cross country but cross county - for now at least.
Thanks for the idea of the case inside the case, I think a duffel bag will be fine too but for now there are just some straps, a hat, some gloves and a first aid kit loose in them. Haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mate, I don't like the look of the top 2 bolts inside the case, looks like they could pull through once you get a bit of weight in it (maybe im over cautious).

A couple of big flat washes (rather the the small washes at the moment) or even better some steel plate with a couple of holes drilled for the bolts however would make it so much stronger

1 - 20 of 36 Posts