StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't be too long until I need a new rear tire. Have searched the net and this forum to find a USA made rear tire that will fit my 2014 DL650 but have found nothing. Did find out that Dunlop makes some motorcycle tires in USA but not in the size or type needed. I believe in buying at home first to support my fellow citizens if the item needed is "in the ballpark" regarding price and quality. I'm pretty confident those on the forum from other countries do likewise. I'm certainly not trying to dis anyone or any country...after all I bought a Japanese Motorcycle as adventure bikes made in USA are pretty much non-existent. Anyone know of a dual sport (80% street or so) tire that will fit DL650 that is made in the USA?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,307 Posts
Dunlop built a tire plant in New Jersey I think a while back. They have a Roadsmart rear in the correct size, but that is a road only tire. Any not particularly good. I bought one, like you glad it was USA made, for my RT and found it to be a poor wearing, poor handling tire compared to others. I don't know of any other brands made in the US. Dunlop probably only went with the USA plant to appease Harley Davidson as they are the main supplier to them.

While I respect the "buy USA", it is not likely to work in this case.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Or, drive a US made car from an American car maker and feel better.
Taurus!

Reactions: iamsmiling

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Greywolf's point is quite correct.
However my Taurus endorsement is also correct.
Taurus Cyclone engine made in Lima, OH
Taurus 6F50 Transaxle made in Sterling Heights, MI
Taurus assembly plant: Chicago, IL
That's American made.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
5,307 Posts
Coker tires are not mainstream. They buy rights from Firestone, Goodyear, etc. and make tires for restored cars and bikes. Good tires, definitely improved from the originals, but not tires you would buy for your everyday bike or car. I have seen many sets on cars at shows, and may get a set for the Shelby soon.

·
38,048 Posts
Taurus Cyclone engine made in Lima, OH
Taurus 6F50 Transaxle made in Sterling Heights, MI
Taurus assembly plant: Chicago, IL
That's American made.
There you go. If you want to support an ideal, do your homework and make sure what you are supporting actually fits your ideal, don't assume.

Also, spending your money on poor quality supports shoddy manufacturing, which ultimately is bad for the company and its workers. Such a company isn't likely to be around long with that attitude. Support quality as part of your ideals, like Real Shelby did with his tire report.

·
38,048 Posts
That this thread is running on a Japanese motorcycle forum is about as funny as the sticker I saw on a Mazda many years ago...

Save the Whales. Boycott Japanese products.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That this thread is running on a Japanese motorcycle forum is about as funny as the sticker I saw on a Mazda many years ago...

Save the Whales. Boycott Japanese products.
So true. Still, it is a start.
Now that Indian has succeeded in flat track ... And Motus has a decent dealer network and rumored to have reasonably priced bike under consideration ...

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
Dunlop built a tire plant in New Jersey I think a while back. They have a Roadsmart rear in the correct size, but that is a road only tire. Any not particularly good. I bought one, like you glad it was USA made, for my RT and found it to be a poor wearing, poor handling tire compared to others.
Interesting. When I needed new tyres for my XJR1300, I asked for recommendations on the XJR forum and most were for the Roadsmart. Now, as it is a UK forum, it's possible their Roadsmarts come not from the USA and they needed wet weather handling (it rarely rains here :) ).

I bought mine from Rocky Mountain in Utah but never thought to check where they were made. I got about 10,000km out of them.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
Is there an error in this sentence:

PerformancePlus said:
The UK company has manufacturing plants located all over the world, and when the Washington, USA plant closed just four years ago, all tire production in the United Kingdom ceased.
The next para talks about the plant in Birmingham. Birmingham in the UK or Birmingham, Alabama? There was a Dunlop plant in Birmingham, UK (Fort Dunlop).

Wkipedia says:

The company has extensive manufacturing operations throughout the world. With the closure of the Washington plant in 2006, Goodyear Dunlop ceased mainstream car and lorry tyre production in the UK.
Washington in West Sussex, UK?

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
You have a very strange request, and one I've never heard a rider to be concerned about. Who cares where tires are made that go on your Japanese bike, while you are likely also wearing gear that comes from non American companies as well. What about the oil that goes in your bike, how about the gas, filters......I could go on and on. I'm all for supporting local shops when it's convenient and possible, but motorcycling and accessories is very much an international coalition.

·
5,307 Posts
Interesting. When I needed new tyres for my XJR1300, I asked for recommendations on the XJR forum and most were for the Roadsmart. Now, as it is a UK forum, it's possible their Roadsmarts come not from the USA and they needed wet weather handling (it rarely rains here :) ).
I had a set of Roadsmart "1" on my '04 RT. Not too bad, but front tire didn't last as long as the rear. Tried the Roadsmart "2" on the rear of my '14 RT as I needed a new tire for a trip. 4,500 miles it lasted. My Son could smell hot rubber coming from it as we rode in the twisties. While it didn't slide out, it had a greasy feel. The UK market has Roadsmart "3" tires available, but they are not available in the US for some reason. Guys in the UK like Avon tires too. Maybe conditions over there are completely different.

·
5,307 Posts
Toward the end of the link they talk about motorcycle tires. Looks like Dunlop tires made in Tonawonda, NY are the ONLY motorcycle tires made in the US. I still suspect this is to appease the Harley Davidson connection, which uses Dunlop tires exclusively ( I think ). They even have "Harley Davidson" molded into the tires.
Dunlop Tires

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I had a set of Roadsmart "1" on my '04 RT. Not too bad, but front tire didn't last as long as the rear. Tried the Roadsmart "2" on the rear of my '14 RT as I needed a new tire for a trip. 4,500 miles it lasted. My Son could smell hot rubber coming from it as we rode in the twisties. While it didn't slide out, it had a greasy feel. The UK market has Roadsmart "3" tires available, but they are not available in the US for some reason. Guys in the UK like Avon tires too. Maybe conditions over there are completely different.
It is a lot cooler there and less freeway and shorter distances. Probably less load too. I can get 12k+ out of the same tire commuting where it hardly last a couple weeks in loaded touring mode. Part of it load, part of it duration of the daily ride.. and while I commute year around long rides usually summer. And of cause stretches of interstates with 75mph limit.

Also pavement quality differs greatly from area to area, so YMMV.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts