StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I bought these a month ago so I figured now's a good time for a review. I bought my 2006 wee with 41k miles last September....up to 46K miles now. The brakes were spongy & the rotors were rusted so I immediately bled the lines, upgraded with SS lines, sanded the rotors, and tried to free up the buttons. That satisfied me until a hot January day (we don't have seasons any more thanks to the CA drought) when I noticed the rotors were also quite warped and it felt like I was stopping a Road King.

This is the cheapest bike I've owned so instead of forking $200 a piece for rotors, plus pads and install, I took a chance on the Chinese knock offs from Ebay (link below). I paid $180 (no tax, free ship) for the front pair, bought new bolts for $20, HH pads for another $75, and had the dealer install for an hour labor. All in all about $375 total instead of close to $600.

If you're rotors are shot like mine were and want piece of mind, I wouldn't hesitate to buy these....just be sure to buy new bolts too. Stainless steel 420, aluminum alloy 6061 center.

Front Brake Disc Rotor for Suzuki DL V Strom 650 1000 SV s Kawasaki KLV 02 08 | eBay

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The real test will be how long they last. Keep us posted. I have my doubts that quality control in a Chinese auto parts factory is held to the same standard as a Suzuki (or reliable aftermarket manufacturer) OEM part, but I could be wrong. Let us know how they hold up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put a set of these same rotors on last fall. I only have about 4K miles on them, but they are working out great.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I am using one on the rear. After a couple thousand miles its working fine. The only fault I noticed is that the factory disc mics out at 5 mm and the China version 4.8 mm. Wear min. is 4.5 mm and my old one was at 4.2 mm when changed (83,000 mi.). Might not last as long, but at the price difference it's worth a try.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought these last week from racingboy8261, there are a lot of positive comments on various sport bike and other forums about these:

Front Rear Brake Rotor Disc for Suzuki DL650 DL1000 Vstorm 650 1000 04 06 02 10 | eBay

I wanted to replace the rear over the weekend so I paid the extra $30 for fast shipping and they were ordered Saturday, delivered following Thursday. I put the rear on yesterday along with a good caliper clean, new pads, new fluid. Test rode 40 miles and works fine. Time will tell. I'm doing the fronts this week along with new piston seals, pads etc.. My stock ones were just below spec at 4.4mm at 80K miles. The new discs are all 5mm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep Ceke, those are the ones! Glad to see others doing the same. I bought them thinking the dealer would tell me not to install them, but they were all for them too. I agree about China's quality coming up; not 99% like the Japanese but I'll take 90% sometimes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put a couple hundred miles on the fronts this week and they are great, 2 finger braking and really good feedback. I can't remember if the front brakes were this good when the bike was new :thumbup:. I expect they will get better once they are fully bedded in. I'm using the EBC HH sintered brake pads front and back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have to sound a sour note on the Chinese disks as after a year of use with my GSXR calipers the brakes began to shudder enough that I put the originals back on. Perhaps it's the Galfer pads as the pulsing at low speed is slightly present with the original disks but not as pronounced as with the Chinese disks.
I tried to measure runout but my rudimentary equipment was inconclusive.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I put a couple hundred miles on the fronts this week and they are great, 2 finger braking and really good feedback. I can't remember if the front brakes were this good when the bike was new :thumbup:. I expect they will get better once they are fully bedded in. I'm using the EBC HH sintered brake pads front and back.
The EBC pads have no doubt contributed to the better braking performance, but there's also the fact that you installed those new pads on brand new rotors. Freshly machined rotor surfaces are always better than just putting new pads on old rotor surfaces.

For the rest of us, if it's feasible, lightly bead blast existing rotors when changing pads. I first heard of this in the 90's when Al Ludington was Miguel DuHamel's crew chief. I observed him doing this at Mid Ohio and he explained why when asked. Makes sense, we ideally are doing the same with a brake job on a car or truck..rotors are faced, a nice clean and rough surface for the pads to bed in against.

And with Vstrom brakes, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The EBC pads have no doubt contributed to the better braking performance, but there's also the fact that you installed those new pads on brand new rotors. Freshly machined rotor surfaces are always better than just putting new pads on old rotor surfaces.

For the rest of us, if it's feasible, lightly bead blast existing rotors when changing pads. I first heard of this in the 90's when Al Ludington was Miguel DuHamel's crew chief. I observed him doing this at Mid Ohio and he explained why when asked. Makes sense, we ideally are doing the same with a brake job on a car or truck..rotors are faced, a nice clean and rough surface for the pads to bed in against.

And with Vstrom brakes, every little bit helps.
thanks but I was only comparing them to "when the bike was new" :fineprint:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So are you saying the Chinese disks are worse? From my experience it takes a hundred miles or more of street riding to fully bed-in a new rotor/disk setup. Mine were pulsing slightly until 50 miles after which they have been nice and smooth, same as other new 'US Made' rotors I've replaced in the past. If you're racing with these then I can't comment.

but not as pronounced as with the Chinese disks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
China stuff's quality is really coming up in the world. Enjoy the low prices now, 'cause they ain't going to last forever.
I wouldn't get too excited about Chinese quality quite yet. Prices are going up because wages are going up in China. They are getting more experience, but they are also growing heavily in their own domestic market, which still has a long way to go before they demand quality over rock bottom price. The quality stuff coming out of china is still the product made exclusively for a foreign company.

I have to sound a sour note on the Chinese disks as after a year of use with my GSXR calipers the brakes began to shudder enough that I put the originals back on. Perhaps it's the Galfer pads as the pulsing at low speed is slightly present with the original disks but not as pronounced as with the Chinese disks.
Thanks for the follow up. I am very hesitant to buy such a safety critical component from China, and even more reluctant to pay ~$200 for a brand-less chinese product.

Any other follow up reviews for those that have bought the chinese rotors? I'm desperate for new rotors and they are half the price of any name brand rotors, so I may end up getting them in spite of my reservations.

Also, I see alot of these on ebay coming from Dong guan and Guang Zhou, and I am going to be in that area next week for work. Do you think I could find rotors there and save on shipping?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
worn rotors

I just mic'd my rotors and they are all about .004 below the service limit and the front brakes are squealing, so I ordered these:

Front Rear Brake Rotor Disc for Suzuki DL650 DL1000 Vstorm 650 1000 04 06 02 10 | eBay

41,000 miles on the bike, 2007 DL650A.

New pads very recently.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
So are you saying the Chinese disks are worse? From my experience it takes a hundred miles or more of street riding to fully bed-in a new rotor/disk setup. Mine were pulsing slightly until 50 miles after which they have been nice and smooth, same as other new 'US Made' rotors I've replaced in the past. If you're racing with these then I can't comment.
Mine were a lot better than the stock rotors, I only put around 20,000k's on mine, but they worked fine.

I'd suggest not using sintered pads on wave rotors though. I think even Galfer's own wave rotors used to come with that noted in the docs.

Peter

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
be careful with links to parts

I foolishly followed a rotor link, and bought a set of rotors for the wrong model year (2006) when my bike is a 2007 (Wee)

now I am in the middle of and endless string of emails with the Chinese vendor.

My mistake - learning a lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My only experience has been bad too. I bought a set for a ZX6R and replaced the pads the same time and they were absolutely horrible.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I broke down and bought a complete set of three a few days ago. For $170 shipped, I couldn't not try them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts