StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
Nice work but is it really a shelf or a nifty mounting plate for the outlets.
The shelf I added above the instruments is actually a flat plate that I can place items on. Sorry, cameraless so no pic.

I need to make something similar, some pics of the actual hole drilling would be nice. What kind of device didja use.
I'm kinda lost trying to poke holes in the plate. I've got a fly cutter but lack proper vices and jigs to hold the material.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice work but is it really a shelf or a nifty mounting plate for the outlets.
The shelf I added above the instruments is actually a flat plate that I can place items on. Sorry, cameraless so no pic.

I need to make something similar, some pics of the actual hole drilling would be nice. What kind of device didja use.
I'm kinda lost trying to poke holes in the plate. I've got a fly cutter but lack proper vices and jigs to hold the material.
An easy way is to clamp the metal sheet to a piece of wood like a piece of 2x4, with clamps or a vice grip, then hold the wood in a vice or workmate or clamp it to a work bench or whatever. Clamping the metal sheet to the wood in two spots would be best. If you do it before you trim the raw piece you can clamp on a section that will be cut off so you don't mar the finished piece.

Then drill with a hole saw, the wood helps hold the hole saw centered on the thin sheet.

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
Looking good guys.

It took me ten hours or so to make the first one. I was so proud. I called the wife out to look at it, then showed all my friends. Finally she said why don't you make ten of them and put them on Ebay. Instead I posted a pic on VSRI and offered to make a few. That is how Adventuretech was born. And since I now have to pay the rent here, see link below for those who don't want to make their own. But, looking good guys.

Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looking good guys.

It took me ten hours or so to make the first one. I was so proud. I called the wife out to look at it, then showed all my friends. Finally she said why don't you make ten of them and put them on Ebay. Instead I posted a pic on VSRI and offered to make a few. That is how Adventuretech was born. And since I now have to pay the rent here, see link below for those who don't want to make their own. But, looking good guys.

Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.
This post made me smile.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
Rick, I am so guilty of replicating your idea of a shelf with stuff in the garage. Mine is so much less elegant than yours though.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
The solution to te vibrating aluminum sheet was a length of rt angle extruded stock in the center and some really hokey braces from an angle bracket I had laying around.
Pure Rube Goldberg!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts