StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to get a good deal on TKC70 or TKC80 tires for my Strom. What tires would be best for the MABDR? (Outside of this trip on the MABDR, I ride 80/20 with the 20 being gravel roads). I even thought about mixing it up with a TKC80 front and TKC70 out back. Does anyone have any experience with the new TKC70 Rocks?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some of my riding buddies did MABDR last year, north to south. The beemer guys ran TKC80s front and rear. The lone Super Tenere had Pirelli Scorpion STR. Everyone swore they chose the correct tire for that journey. They hit Deal's Gap and some of those roads on the way home too.

·
Registered
729 Posts
TKC 80 front for sure. BDR's need at least a 50/50 tire. The 70 will have your bike on it's side a lot more. Depending on the length of your loop, the rear mihgt be finished by the time you get home. In my opinion, cyclopathic has the golden combo spelled out right there.

The E07+ rear is my go to, maybe the best present combo of longevity and grip, E07 would be better, they lasted a fair bit longer, but good luck finding one. The E07 front is ok, but the TKC80 front is better in sand, mud etc. I did a 8,000 mile loop last summer from montreal to two BDRs out west and back. The E07+ rear made it with about 20% remaining, which on an E07+ is still about 1/4" tread depth. A TKC80 may have been better in some of the sandy sections, but would have needed replacement about 3/4 of the way through the trip.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My riding buddy from out west ran Tractionators. She made about the same mileage and the rear was very good, the front was replaced about half way with e TCK80 and she said it was like night and day better in every way with the new tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up buying a pair of TKC80s. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I may end up, like many of you suggested, with a TKC80 Up front with a TKC70 or TKC70 Rocks our back. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
TKC 80 front for sure. BDR's need at least a 50/50 tire. The 70 will have your bike on it's side a lot more. Depending on the length of your loop, the rear mihgt be finished by the time you get home. In my opinion, cyclopathic has the golden combo spelled out right there.

The E07+ rear is my go to, maybe the best present combo of longevity and grip, E07 would be better, they lasted a fair bit longer, but good luck finding one. The E07 front is ok, but the TKC80 front is better in sand, mud etc. I did a 8,000 mile loop last summer from montreal to two BDRs out west and back. The E07+ rear made it with about 20% remaining, which on an E07+ is still about 1/4" tread depth. A TKC80 may have been better in some of the sandy sections, but would have needed replacement about 3/4 of the way through the trip.
I'm riding CABDR at the moment on Shinko 804/Motoz GPS and so far like it.. even more than E07. Then again GPS would do in mud but it has done wonders so far on sand, rock and washboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts