StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been lurking around here since October learning as much as I can. Was considering a used Wee, then a Tenere, then a Tiger, then a NEW Wee until I stumbled across a super looking 2008 DL650A in flat black at a very low price. Called right away on the bike and made a deal. The bike had only been listed for 20mins. I am sure the current owner was surprised! Now the LONG wait until I am able to pick up the bike on Monday. But to occupy my time I have been ordering farkles that I need.

Ordered:
Richland Rick's Fork brace
Motech center stand
Motech crash guards
Yann's skid plate
Yann's lift kit
Yann's radiator and oil cooler protector plates
German style reflective black tank stickers
Black reflective rim stripes
Richland Rick's Mirror extenders
Bike already has the extended Givi windscreen and grip warmers

Really excited and looking forward to getting the bike in the garage, get it farkles up and look forward to the first ride this spring (it is -30 degrees Centigrade here at home today!)

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Ahh you Canadians make me miss the old country but I do like the weather in the Southwest.

Congrats. Hope to see you on the trail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, supposed to be a chinook blowing in Sunday. Temps back up to +1. Just in time for the 7 hour round trip to get the bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Bravo; congrats on the bike, you made a good choice and will be very happy with it.
Welcome to the club too.

I do question your other choices though and wonder whether you've bought the wrong bike. You know it's a street bike, right?
[...]to occupy my time I have been ordering farkles that I need.

Ordered:
Richland Rick's Fork brace - not needed
Motech center stand - not needed
Motech crash guards - really much more expensive than replacing a turn signal many times, so not needed
Yann's skid plate - not needed
Yann's lift kit - you get the idea...
Yann's radiator and oil cooler protector plates - yawn...
German style reflective black tank stickers - more much needed cosmetic items...
Black reflective rim stripes - Ok, I admit they look cool and wouldn't mind having a set of yellow oens for my bike, but then I never wash my rims, so no.
Richland Rick's Mirror extenders - I adjust my mirrors far out; I move my head to see directly behind me, but those could be useful
Bike already has the extended Givi windscreen and grip warmers

Really excited and looking forward to getting the bike in the garage, get it farkles up and look forward to the first ride this spring (it is -30 degrees Centigrade here at home today!)
So, they may be farkles that you want, but if you "need" them, then I'd say you need a different bike; maybe a dirt bike.
The only thing the wee really needs is a good set of hard luggage, and I don't see that on your list; you should go back onliune and order yourself some. You will be taking this bike on long distance trips and need a place for your gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your needs might not be MY needs

Thanks for your comments SittingDuck. I have decided on which hard bags that I will eventually be buying but currently I already have a full set of SOFT bags (top and sides) that I will use until I decide to splurge for the hard-sided variety.

But since I plan on taking this bike OFF PAVEMENT and onto dirt, gravel and mud AND since I am fanatical about protecting my bike I certainly feel that the "protective" items I have purchased will give me the peace of mind I am seeking that my bike will survive such outings. Thanks for your opinion just the same though! (by the way....have you bought a helmet yet? Because you don't really NEED one to ride a Wee. The bike will start and move forward without it...but for protecting your melon it is highly recommended!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very cool. I recently joined with a flat 08 too, just no abs on mine.

I definitely have room for farkles. Care to share where you got yours from?
Most of my adv friends recommend a skid plate as my first investment if I want to join them.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Lol Canadiandad.
When you ride the bike you'll know a full-face is necessary to keep all that turbulent air out of your face ;)

My comments were mostly meant to be funny, but I'm glad you have some luggage too.

I've had mine off road once (single track up and around a mountain), and I managed to not drop it. I was impressed since it was my first time off road. I don't plan on doing it again though; it's the wrong tool for the job. It makes a really nice road bike, but it's no better off-raod than any other standard road bike.

Keep us posted on your adventures when your part of the world thaws. It's -8 here today and there's snow on my street. I can't wait to get back on the bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries SittingDuck.

The bike currently has the larger Givi screen on it. I have a full face helmet that I ride with. From some of my reading on this site I learned that alot of wind noise can be decreased with the mirror wideners which is why I purchased them. Not too expensive of an item to try out and see if it helps!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a used, flat black '08 last summer and I love it. Your list of accessories sounds almost identical to mine. I have the exact same SW motech stuff, Givi screen, Richland Rick parts, even the reflective black German style decals! I don't have any of Yann's products and probably won't buy them. I don't need to lower my bike and I rarely, if ever, take my bike off-road. I have a true dual sport for those types of excursions. I don't have grip heaters either. Nor do I have the reflective rim tapes but they are on my list.

Have fun getting her ready for spring! Maybe I'll see you on the roads around the Northwest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Farkle Mania

Congratulations on your purchase.I picked up the same bike a month ago but in yellow.It's got 47k on it so...about a 1/4 of its life i guess. You have some amazing travelling to do out there.I used to live in Sylvan Lake and Red Deer and have traveled all over Alberta B.C and Saskatchewan in the patch.Have some ice cream in Cockrane if you go there.(if it's still there)
Be safe and have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts