Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first and only helmet until last week was a closeout Icon Alliance SSR that I bought for 150 bucks to wear at my MSF class. I wore it as I wobbled around the neighborhood on my 125. I wore it on my first day trip. I wore it last month when I rode 3,000 miles through the northwest. It was loud but I use earplugs and was never bothered by the sound. It only ever fogged up on the coldest, dampest mornings. Not once did I ever experience buffeting on any of my bikes.

Time to upgrade. The last few XD3s on the market are closing out now, so I picked up a white one a few weeks ago to match my bike (and complete my "awesome adventure rider outfit"). Under CDN$400 all-in which is good for a helmet that listed in Canada at 650+tax+shipping.

It's been a bit disappointing to say the least.

It looks awesome. Exterior fit and finish is very fine, but not 3 times better than my Alliance. The shell doesn't come down over my chin as much, which leaves my jaw area feeling strangely exposed. The strap is also very short, which makes fastening the helmet more trouble than it should be.

The interior isn't as plush. The removable Icon HydraDry liner in the Icon feels like my pajamas while the one in the XD3 feels more like a canvas grocery bag. Although the overall fit around the crown is good, the ear pockets are tiny and strangely centered an inch behind my actual ear. I had to carve out a good half inch of interior foam to stop the rear of the cheekpad from slamming into my earplugs.

At speed, I can see that without turbulence factors, the XD3 has the potential to be very quiet and stable, even with the peak. When I stand up at 45mph, the helmet is dead silent, which shows me just how good it can be.

Unfortunately, the Wee is not known for clean air, so while the Icon was loud but smooth and stable, the Arai at anything over 30mph is unbearable with my stock windshield. This is disappointing, but I understand that sometimes you need to spend time and money working through these issues. Still, I'm convinced that this bike is more suited to a standard street helmet.

The other disappointment is the shield. While it does offer a very nice panoramic view, there is definite distortion around the periphery. I like to glance down at my instruments and GPS without moving my head, and I definitely notice the curvature of the shield when I do so. The same penchant for eye movement means that I don't like Pinlock visors, which leads me to...

The fogging when closed is almost unbearable. I would only need to crack my Icon shield during full stops with temperatures near freezing. With the XD3, any combination below 20mph and 60 degrees results in immediate fog creeping up from the bottom of the shield.

It fits, and it's safe, so I'll work with it. At the price I paid, I'm not too mad. But no way is it worth full MSRP to me. If I were to do it again, I'd drop the ADV pretense and just get a sport touring helmet like the RF1100 or the Icon Airframe. For my style of riding (not much dirt) it would have been a better choice.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree. Mine sucks too. Noisy, chin bar too close to my mouth/jaw and it is too short so wind swirls in under. Worst helmet I've ever had - and I'm stuck with it. It costs too much to just throw away. Who designs these things? Do they ever wear them - on a motorcycle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts