StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont really see the advantage over a Givi. They aren't particularly cheap, hard to detach (unless that one quick release brand), and are HEAVY!

They also open like a suitcase (most), which has its own problems.

If you want them just for looks, throw on ammo cans. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I "just" got a Pelican side-opening sidecase setup from Caribou including keyed locks and quick-release brackets.

I'm familiar with the bulletproof reliability of Pelican cases as some of my professional tools are stored in Pelicans. I frequently use one of my Pelican cases as a stepstool and it handles my 275 pounds without a problem.

I got the Pelican side cases for storage AS WELL AS "crash protection" and, for the model and options I wanted, the Caribous were less expensive than Twisted Throttle's (including shipping). I could care less what they look like.

I got the quick-release brackets so I could take a sidecase OFF the bike for easier packing/unpacking.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yay for 'Boo's

+1 for the Caribou's. I have the 36L sidecases and 34L topcase. I have no complaints with the sidecases. With the new snap-lanyards, loading them laid flat is a snap. I mount them on detachable SWM racks. The topcase is OK, but the plastic does not seem as durable, and the funky latches get to be a little annoying. All the lids and the sidecase detachers are all keyed alike, very nice. The cases are all watertight, for better or worse. Due to my need to stow wet gear for days at a time, I drilled ventilation holes in the bottoms of all three cases. Each sidecase has two hollow channel feet that also serve to shield strategically drilled holes from road splash. For me, the features and durability made this setup the best value proposition available.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I got mine put on the bike a month after I got the bike back in Nov.06. Happy with them still, the gray cases worked well with the silver 07 bike and were still water proof up till I changed them over to some yellow ones.

Tough is what I will call them, I've been through a few falls with them. The one time we were on a muddy road I didn't want them locked down, so that when I did wipe out they just popped off with no damage to the lock tab.
I use them a lot when I bring home fast food, with a drink tray to hold the drinks it fits great. Money well spent for me, with over 64,000 miles and no leaks.
Any wet gear if have will go under the red bungee net on the trunk to dry out, if it can.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pelican luggage

Love mine. Don't think any boxes attached to your bike are going to look sexy so my focus is on function. They come on and off easily and quickly. The remaining brackets are almost unnoticeable. They're roomy, waterproof and come with nice liners. They lock onto the bike nicely but do not have a built in lock to keep them closed. Never actually needed it, just thought I'd mention.
They ride low enough to be stable but will scrape in very spirited riding that you probably shouldn't be doing with them attached anyway. Can't imaging any boxes being more durable. I'll be taking them with me on my next bike.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I like the Storm case latches better myself. I have the Sw motech rack. They work well and do what I want. I sometimes wish I had the Happy Trail cases because they are top load. I have a Givi 52l top case. I like rhe size but they do not appear to be as rugged. I think if you do any off road the Caribous would be better.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
1405... looks nice!

Plus one on the durability of the Pelicans! Although I'm currently running GIVI B36N cases my previous Pelican set up (previous bike) was great. I didnt care that it was heavier by a few pounds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought the Pelican 1550 top case from Caribou specifically because of durability. Everyone I know who has had them has said they have (a) never leaked and (b) will withstand all kinds of abuse. They hold a ton of stuff and this particular case is low profile. I didn't want something that looked like a tool trunk on the back. YMMV.

·
Registered
392 Posts
cases

I've just ordered and waiting for delivery of the Seahorse 720's for my bike. They are plenty big enough for touring alone, they lock which the Pelican's don't (pad locking the cases every time you stop will get to be a royal pain) and they are much less expensive. I'll be using Givi racks and Happy Trail's pucks to mount them, also on order.

Hopefully all the parts will be here next week. The pucks and the cases have been shipped, not heard about the racks yet. Figures, the racks have to go on first ;)

Bill H.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have considered this arrangement and would be interested in seeing pictures of your set up when you get everything mounted. Like you, I am attracted to the pricing of this set up.
I've just ordered and waiting for delivery of the Seahorse 720's for my bike. They are plenty big enough for touring alone, they lock which the Pelican's don't (pad locking the cases every time you stop will get to be a royal pain) and they are much less expensive. I'll be using Givi racks and Happy Trail's pucks to mount them, also on order.

Hopefully all the parts will be here next week. The pucks and the cases have been shipped, not heard about the racks yet. Figures, the racks have to go on first ;)

Bill H.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Best

Clearly the pelican cases are the best....I just installed them on my 2011 wee ....stop being cheap and just buy the best no nonsence luggage out there...ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
900 Posts
...they lock which the Pelican's don't (pad locking the cases every time you stop will get to be a royal pain)
Not to 'split hairs' but the Pelicans I got from Caribou DO have integral keyed locks on both the cases themselves as well as the racks. I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I can stuff into two 35L sidecases.

·
Registered
392 Posts
locks

If you buy the cases from Caribou they have added a lock to the Pelicans, they don't come from Pelican with a lock.

For me the $$ that Caribou wants for adding locks and making a rack is wildly excessive. I've got under $300 for the whole setup (Givi racks and Seahorse cases and Happy Trails pucks), about 3 times that price for the Caribous. Each to their own I guess.

Bill H.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
For me the $$ that Caribou wants for adding locks and making a rack is wildly excessive. I've got under $300 for the whole setup (Givi racks and Seahorse cases and Happy Trails pucks), about 3 times that price for the Caribous.
I went this route also, except I didn't buy the pucks. Mine worked out fine on a long trip. I kind of wish they were a smidge bigger, but then again, I probably took some stuff I really didn't need. For the price of this set-up, it's hard to beat in my opinion. Yes, there probably are nicer set-ups no doubt if cost is not a factor, but these work for me. I recently crashed on dirt and other than gouges on the lid, the case and Givi rack seem to be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts