StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Do you feel like there is enough space with the E22s there also for long trips? Thinking if I should get the E360 bags or the E22
I had the Givi Trekkers and have changed to the E360N, love them, they seem to hold more than the Trekkers which admittedly were the 33lt but that extra 30lt holds a lot.

And I picked up the E460N op box and the E360N panniers for a song ($500AU) from FCMoto, they still have them on sale for $352US including delivery. :wink2:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Givi Trekker 52 for everyday use (commuting). Occasionally with Kappa K22 side cases for weekend trips. Wolfman Expedition dry soft bags for off road and Givi E360 for multi days travel. Plus smaller (for everyday) and bigger (for out of town trips) tank bags.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Do you feel like there is enough space with the E22s there also for long trips? Thinking if I should get the E360 bags or the E22
The E22's are intuitive and useful. The top load design, high lid mold, make for surprisingly useful space. For commuting and around town I just love them. I even took them on my 5,000KM trip to the rally in the spring. Here's what I have in them, and there's still room to squeeze a monster drink or two on top:

Full size can of chain lube (standing upright)
Full size can of sunscreen
Full size can of bug repellent
Full size can of octane booster
Small bottle of top up oil
Small first aid kit
Roadside led light and jumper/booster
Camping headlight
Spare fuses
Bluetooth speaker
Maps (probably 6 different maps)
Full top/bottom Klim gortex rain gear
Warm n' safe heated jacket, pants, socks
12v air compressor
2 x tire gauge
Visor/Windscreen cleaner & rags
Spare ziplock bags
Spare usb charger
Spare usb charging cables
Waterproof iphone case
2 x spare socks (woolies and breathers)
Spare summer gloves
Winter gloves
Spare night and day sunglasses
Neck sock
Spare signal bulbs
Spare headlight bulbs
Small toolkit

The best part is I can open the lid without all that stuff falling out :grin2:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I bought these in the rare event I hit the road 2up. Drum roll please... I present the widest ass in town:
Yup. I thought my ass was big, but no, you win! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shad bags about 5 years ago just under $500 from twisted throttle. 40 litre each i believe. Best thing is each Will fit Lor XL modular helmet. So i always have them on, grocery getter or whatever. For trips 1 or 2 up strap 60 litre drybag on luggage rack or backseat depending. Yes makes for a wide ass end (44" me thinks) but im not a lane splitter.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
I too leave my side cases on all the time. Have a sweater in there to layer in when going through the mountain passes. A fist aid kit, sunglasses, the heavy waterproof shell that fits over the mesh jacket and a soft cooler with lunch in it. I'm sure it costs me a bit in mileage but when I put my foot down into a pot hole it is nice to be able to gently set the bike onto the Pelican case rather than laying it flat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shad SH48 top case and SH35 side cases with inner bags for the sides. Been happy with them so far owned for about a year. I like the 3P system because it is unobtrusive and looks better when the bags are not mounted. Just mounted the Heed crash bars and small optional bags, haven’t used them yet but seem handy for small stuff. The bars seem solid and well made.
Still have a smaller 7L magnet tank bag but it doesn’t work so good on the V2 tank....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
For those of you with side opening side cases, how do you manage them? I can't get over the idea that they would be a PITA, unless you use them for stuff you would only use at your destination when you take them off like suitcases.

I suppose the answer is to snap them off, lay it on the ground in order to open and access everything inside.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For those of you with side opening side cases, how do you manage them? I can't get over the idea that they would be a PITA, unless you use them for stuff you would only use at your destination when you take them off like suitcases.

I suppose the answer is to snap them off, lay it on the ground in order to open and access everything inside.
They're not ideal. When I had side opening cases (Givi V35's) I had my overnight clothes bag in the left side case and loose items (tools, chain lube, odds and ends) in the right side case. This way, I could open the right case with the bike tilted on the side stand and things wouldn't immediately fall out. This way, when I get to a hotel, just grab my overnight bag, and my computer stuff out of the top case. Cases mostly stayed on the bike.

Top open cases are an infinite improvement though. Not only do you not need to worry about things falling out, the square design of most ADV style bags make them infinitely more usable for the given size. Top loading ADV bags also have the great benefit of being able to strap stuff to the lids.

I keep my camping stuff in two 30L dry bags that get strapped to the lids.

I had Holan Nomada cases on my Wee and while they were ok, they leaked terribly.

On my Tenere I have Trekker Outback cases which are great. Easy on/off, waterproof, and really nice to use. I have since swapped the left side case to the smaller size, 36L?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Between the bike being tilted left on the side stand and internal elastic straps that came with the kit nothing falls out of the right case. In the left case I carry items in small cases grouped by their use. Stove/fuel/firestarters. Pan/cutlery/mugs. Food/water. Electronics etc. The straps stop the small cases from falling out when I open the cover. Yet you can reach in and remove a case without the rest falling out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Came with the Wee when i bought her from the original owner. Not as rugged looking as the aluminum boxes, but i own 'em and they hold stuff.

I have a Nelson Riggs tank bag too.

Relax and have a homebrew.

·
Registered
115 Posts
"I am using givi E45s. Does anyone else feel they are too wide? On my last trip through Utah, the bags seem to catch too much wind. Not sure if it was the headwind or the drag from the boxes. "

I am using E45s and yes I feel they are too wide. I bought them several years ago on a special sale and have used them on several bikes. However I question whether they catch more wind than narrower rectangular boxes. The E45s with their curved surfaces probably have a lower drag coefficient than the top loading metal boxes. I think they are too wide from an aesthetical point of view but they are certainly functional. But I wouldn't mind something smaller for when I travel alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Suzuki Adventure side cases. I'm angling for a pair of SW-Motech cases in the For Sale section. The OEM cases are nice, very well built. But a little short on space. Future luggage options include a top case, first choice is the Givi V40N 40L, another is the Shad SH39 top case. And a tank bag. I prefer a small one for wallet, maps, etc. The Givi EA-123 5L looks like the one

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a set of Givi aerodynamic side hard case bags w/quick click off and on . On top I have a hard case Kappa zippy 48

Pics will come once I figure out how to add them

·
Registered
3 Posts
So almost no-one uses soft panniers? That had been my first idea for luggage - mostly for a bit of versatility. A soft case would be far easier to carry around by hand than a hard case, right?!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
So almost no-one uses soft panniers? That had been my first idea for luggage - mostly for a bit of versatility. A soft case would be far easier to carry around by hand than a hard case, right?!
that's right but why to carry them around when you can have liners in them? In fact cases are easy to carry around too. In my case I use soft dry bags most of the time when I go off road or for every day commuting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The advantages of soft panniers is durability, and lower chance of injury when falling. They're cheaper too.

Disadvantages are mounting them is almost always harder than hard panniers that clip on and off. They also move around a bit as you ride, and scratch paint if used without a rack. Most of them are linked together at the top so carrying them is harder and more awkward. Soft panniers are also less secure than hard ones. I think Mosko Moto has a system that adapts a hard pannier rack to their soft panniers which fixes these issues, but still not ideal, and crazy expensive.

I pack all of my overnight stuff in a duffle/storage bag that stays in the aluminum pannier. This way, it's just a simple duffle bag and my laptop bag (could be combined into just the duffle, but I like to keep them separate) that gets taken off the bike when hotel'ing, everything else stays on the bike. Can move from the bike to the hotel in one trip. Two trips if I bring camping gear which ride in two dry bags on top of the panniers.

Years ago, I would take the panniers, tank bag, and top case off the bike. Royal PITA having to make multiple trips to get everything off the bike into the hotel room and then reverse it in the morning.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts