StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;)Hello Riders---I need to buy luggage racks for my vee. Can any of you riders that have either the Givi or Sw-Motech give me some pro and cons of either. I like the SW but do not know if the mounting system for the Quick-Lock well stay tight. Let me here from you riders. At the present time I well be using soft bags.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The main advantage of the Givi racks is they sit closer to the bike than the SW racks. And they're cheaper, I think.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I had the SWM's and liked them but they stuck out too far (IMHO) and I never took them off anyway so I got the Givi's and am happy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The main advantage of the Givi racks is they sit closer to the bike than the SW racks. And they're cheaper, I think.
Exactly why I chose the Givi racks. The ability to detatch the racks is seriously overrated. Once you get luggage on this bike, it's very unlikely that you'll want to take it off. And even if you do, the Givi racks don't look THAT bad. I mean, hell, it's V-STROM... why are you caring about appearances? :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have the SW-M QL racks. I only have bags on when I'm touring and like the clean look around town. I have over 31,000 miles on my bike and the racks are as tight as they were when new, just as tight as the Givis on my previous bike. Now this is a clean look.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have the givi racks, it is nice to pop the luggage off when you arrive at the hotel and not have to carry the rack into the lobby.
The bags can be taken off the SW-M racks too and the racks left on the bike. It's just that the racks can be taken off when the bags are not used when traveling locally.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the sw-motec evo quick loc racks on my vee. I have put them through lots of rough miles on back roads in Colorado loaded down. I use 20mm ammo can panniers. Each one weighs 19 1/2 pounds empty. No problems with them getting loose or any problems of any kind. I bought a spare locking pin but can tell unless someone really works to steal one I won't need it.

I also like the fact that I can pop them off in about 30 seconds and the bike is naked. And the new evo racks are tucked in tighter to the bike than the old sw-motech racks. Distance from the side case mount tubing to the muffler -1 inch. The fit and powder coat finish is excellent.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The bags can be taken off the SW-M racks too and the racks left on the bike. It's just that the racks can be taken off when the bags are not used when traveling locally.
When I'm commuting to and from my work, I find I usually need the side cases... by the time I stow my helmet and both pairs of gloves in the top case, I need a side case for stowing my boots. And if I want to put my jacket away too, that goes in the other side case. That's why I said that the OP may never remove his side cases at all... I never do. I'm always using the things.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have the SWM racks. Originally I had soft cases attached to them but have since changed to aluminum Mermite cases. The racks go on and off easily and are quite solid.

I normally have the side cases on all the time but it is nice to be able to remove them for cleaning/maintenance or if I just want to ride lighter.

The main reason I got the SWM racks was because you can mount just about anything on them. They are very versatile.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
When I'm commuting to and from my work, I find I usually need the side cases... by the time I stow my helmet and both pairs of gloves in the top case, I need a side case for stowing my boots. And if I want to put my jacket away too, that goes in the other side case. That's why I said that the OP may never remove his side cases at all... I never do. I'm always using the things.
I'm the opposite. Have the SWM racks and a set of Givi E41's, but they're rarely on the bike. I can usually fit everything in my V46. The more I ride, the less crap I carry. I've seriously considered dropping the E41's for a set of 21's. A few weeks ago the GF and I did a 3 day ride. Even with two of us, everything fit in the top case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts