Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for an extensive tour of Alaska. I weighted my bags to be stored in GIVI side bags and trunk. There will be about 30lbs plus any additional bag I put on the rear seat. For those who have done long term touring with their luggage compartments full, did you find any change in stability/handling while driving? Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm getting ready for an extensive tour of Alaska. I weighted my bags to be stored in GIVI side bags and trunk. There will be about 30lbs plus any additional bag I put on the rear seat. For those who have done long term touring with their luggage compartments full, did you find any change in stability/handling while driving? Thanks.
Just crank up the rear preload to account for the extra sag from the added weight. If needed loosen the front a tad if it's not stable up front.
Increase the damping on the screw on the bottom of the rear shock if it's bouncy.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Keep the top case light. Put the heavy stuff low and forward in the side cases.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I've made many long trips with loaded luggage and camping gear.
Minimizing the weight up high is good. If you were carrying a passenger the load would be up high anyway and add more weight than your gear.
I wobble a bit going out the driveway but soon adjust to the conditions.
Best bet is to not take anything you don't really need and get good lightweight versions of the stuff you do need. Forget the canvas cabin tent!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts