StromTrooper banner

Luggage Cases - SWMotech Quick Lock + Pelicans (or gobis)

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  hansong 
#1 ·
So, thats the question.

Anyone got this combo installed? I'm a bit concerned about this "adapter sold elsewhere" line in the twisted throttle website. Is that rack all its cracked up to be? Security? Durability? Versatility? - can i really disconnect the whole thing in 30 seconds? wow!

p2 = the pelican cases, they sell for a mere $115 each, yet are light and built of what seems to be a basically indestructible resin. Am I missing anything? Most important criteria to me is to find a tough case that can take a fall and protect the bike, and of course hold my stuff... and be completely detachable, and secure. so yeah.

thx

#2 ·
I have the SW racks and really like them. They can be removed in 30 sec. but would be easy to steal even with the SW locks, which are a joke.
Some have used a regular pad lock in place of the rear quick release pin which would make them pretty darn hard to lift.
I went with the Seahorse cases with metal locks, which are about half the cost of Pelicans, and at least for me just as good. I scuffed one up and they replaced the lid free of charge, not even shipping.
Finally, I mounted the cases directly to the SW racks, no adapter, pucks etc..
Simply remove the rack with the case attached.

#5 ·
I have the SW racks and really like them. They can be removed in 30 sec. but would be easy to steal even with the SW locks, which are a joke.
Can anyone elaborate?

I am considering SW-MOTECH racks with pelicans (or similar) bolted directly to them. I am primarily interested in a secure solution. I am less interested in ease of mounting/unmounting. I intend to leave the cases on the bike most of the time.

The MOTECH quick release feature is nifty. But does that sacrifice security, even if combined with their locking retaining handles?

Is there a more secure option?

#3 ·
I have SWmotech racks with Hepco & Becker juniors. I like them very well made rack. I have the new square tube style. The adaptor for the cases bolt up to the racks and are plastic designed to fit manufactures case Givi, H&B, Trax or whatever. For Pelican cases I don't think I would bother with the adaptors. Just bolt it up to the rack if there's clearance. If not could probably use a hockey puck for a spacer.

#4 ·
I can't speak to the SW-Motech rack (I use the Givi rack), but I can say Pelicans are probably the toughest cases you could use. I highsided on the highway almost 3 years ago, less than a week after installing my Caribou/Pelican cases. The bike slid down the road on the left side, then when it hit the grassy shoulder both cases popped off the rack and continued tumbling another 50-100'. The bike was totaled. The left case lid was ground down a bit, but it's still waterproof. The right case had no damage at all. After cleaning and shaving off all the furry bits (see images), I still use them on my replacement strom. No way would aluminum cases have remained usable: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/30096-adventures-highsiding.html

#8 ·
Why would you buy Pelicans for $115 ea when you can buy Givi's for $140 ea (E45NJ) with free delivery? Then you can use the standard Givi mounts which will save you money as compared to the SW Motech mounts.
See my post above -- a Givi case would have been in pieces.
Also the Pelican/Seahorse type cases make for a narrower overall width.

#12 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I really like the way my black Vee looks with the Seahorse cases, my son thinks it look like a James Bond bike. In fact at least to my eye, the Givi E45's look "cheaper", kinda like the budget JC Whitney box.
As far as the SW locks go, I jumped the gun by saying they are junk. I have no personal experience with them, simply taking the advice of another biker I met at bike night. He said he had them, and that just about anybody could twist them off by hand. His solution was to remove the quick release pin on the top rear, same place you would use the SW lock, and insert a heavy keyed lock with a shank the same size diameter as the hole for a nice tight solid fit.
I thought it sounded like a great idea but I haven't gotten around to doing it.
Lastly, the SeaHorse cases. Again to me they look awesome, customer service is great, I am one of the guy's who got a free case lid with free shipping under warranty because I screwed it up in a moment of stupidity. And finally they are inexpensive, not "cheap" but inexpensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.