1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Am in the middle of replacing my chain/sprockets right now. Have been getting my EK chains from eBay seller Moto-Heaven - $107.95 shipped for a steel finish 118 link 525MVXZ x-ring. Got my OEM Suzuki 15/47 tooth sprockets from SHSpowersports.com for $74.17 with free shipping.

Total was $182 which is the same price Blair at SV Racing charges but he sells sprockets which don't have the rubber dampener on the front and his chain is a lower-quality EK SRX2. I also got the peace of mind that I'm not supporting someone who steals other peoples product designs and lies about it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have a dl1000 2014 and want to change to a 16 tooth front sprocket, the total miles is 3,000. Do I need to do an entire chain/sprocket set or can I just get the sprocket for a OEM chain?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I just did a 530 upgrade on my DL1000, so I shopped around some.

$137 shipped for a premium 530 RK chain in 114 links is good if your running 17/43. Great for 530 conversions: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WNROHW/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sprocket Center is about $215 for the premium EK mvxz 530 114 link and the superlight OEM type CS with a Sunstar 43T rear. Just look up the SV1000 on the site and the sprockets are all there. They offer JT sprockets and a VX chain for $175 shipped.

The OEM style counter sprocket with the rubber is $27 verses $16 for the regular JT. The rear is $44 if you stick with JT or $52 for the Sunstar. Those are the 530 or SV1000 sprocket prices.

The 525 chain kits with JT sprockets shipped to your door ready for install are $153 using the SRX-2 or DID VX, keep in mind thats a cut to the right size deal. About $165 for gold chain kits with JT sprockets.

SV1000 sprockets for the 530 chains: http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/suzuki/sv-1000-s-03-07/530-sprockets-stock-pitch.html

530 chains cut to order: http://sprocketcenter.com/motorcycle-chains/sportbike-chains/530-pitch.html

525 kits for the stock bikes: http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/suzuki/dl-1000-v-strom-2002-2012/complete-sprocket-chain-kits/525-chain-kit-jt-sprockets-steel-sprocket-set-with-your-choice-of-x-ring-chain-suzuki-dl-1000-v-strom.html

I used sprocket center because the prices are competitive and they cut the chains too. I wanted to go with premium sprockets this time and a EK MVXZ chrome chain instead of my usual natural finish. If you get a clip or screw master link its a really easy way to shop for chains.

·
Registered
304 Posts
NEW X ring Chain and Sprockets: $ 108 all in

please add where to find the lowest prices on chain and sprockets to this thread.
Feel free to include chain changing tools as well.
JT Sprockets brand website: their proprietory brand of "X ring" chain, 120 link (I'll cut out 2), their best "Z3" according to them and 2 new sprockets 15/47, all in with Free shipping and NoTax in the US was $ 108.xx The few reviewers seems happy with it.

Also got the typical "red plastic case" chain break tool on Ebay for about $ 16.95..the same tool is there for up to $ 40 and $ 32 but might as get the same one for the $17. just search ebay

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I haven't seen any good feed back from local riders, although some told me WPS chains were okay too.

Better off with at least a D.I.D. VX or EK SR2 on a Vstrom. Thats two entry level x-rings with decent strength. The 65 to 90 hp V-Twins need a strong chain, especially the DL1000 with the thumping torque.

Losing a cheap chain suddenly at 7,000 miles sucks big time, I'm done with the cheap chains. Pay another $30 and get name brand, its worth it to me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
JT Sprockets Website

Does anyone know where I can find reasonably priced sprockets that will fit the 2012 Vee for the 16/43 conversion?
You can look at the merchandise on the JT Sprockets website and read the reviews [ Z3 x ring chain @120 link..cut OFF two ] then get the two sprockets and chain (all JT Brand) on EBay like I did for $ 108.xx USD with no tax and Free shipping

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You can look at the merchandise on the JT Sprockets website and read the reviews [ Z3 x ring chain @120 link..cut OFF two ] then get the two sprockets and chain (all JT Brand) on EBay like I did for $ 108.xx USD with no tax and Free shipping
Let us know how it goes, some DS riders say they are okay. Not well liked on the sport bike forums though. On the forums I read a few have had failures early, one was around 5,000 miles. Worse than my 7,000 mile WPS chain.

On Earth Roamers there is a review on a DS world travel blog, they liked the 525 JT chain, says it will last about 15,000 miles or 23,000 km on DS bikes: Earth-Roamers : Chains, sprockets and lubrication

15,000 or 23,000 km is about what I get from the under $100 chains usually. The auto oiler helps.

Post a link for that $108 deal, even for a 525 thats really cheap. Normally they sell around $135 US with sprockets. So, thats why I say its only $30 more for name brand thats well known. I can pick up a DID VX 525 and JT sprockets for $164 or less.

The JT 525 runs $72.00 retail. Its right there with the other cheapo chains. Its a Parts Unlimited offering, dealers like to put them on their used bikes, the shops I deal with say they are decent for the price.

So far my EK 530 MVXZ 17/43 conversion is running good, no adjustments. Going to put a 1,000 miles on it this week. It does seem to shift smooth, pretty chain, I like the chrome finish. The rear Sunstar sprocket is nicely machined, looks OEM.

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In case you think I cant ADD..
The Ebay dealer had a discount thing going so the $113 apparent total became $108.
Thats a good find. Looking at that eBay seller I see a couple budget 114 link 530 chains. idaily has an EK SRO for $59.99 shipped, thats a good price for a name brand o-ring 530 in 114 links: EK Chains 530x114 Links Sroz Links Series SEALED O Ring Natural Chain | eBay

For a 530 conversion the front JT sprocket is $14.32 JT Sprockets 530 Steel Front Sprocket 17T Natural JTF513 17 | eBay

Rear 530 JT 43T sprocket is priced at $35.25 : JT Sprockets 530 Steel Rear Sprocket 43T Silver JTR1800 43 | eBay

Add in a cheap SRO chain and its $104.08 with the 5% off. Thats probably as cheap as I would go for a 530 conversion. But, if I was riding the bike regularly I would at least put a SRX-2 chain on and thats a very good deal at $136.22 shipped. Really good deal.

The quality 530 SRX-2 114 link chain alone is $93.82 shipped, not bad at all for a good chain ready to install: EK Chains 530x114 Links SRX2 Links Series SEALED QX Ring Natural Chain | eBay

That seller has good prices on the name brand chains, DID, Regina, RK, EK etc. Got a number of options in various lengths too. Its nice to find the right size chain, no cutting needed. You could get a EK SRX chain with a screw master added in and the sprockets for less than what some sale the DID VX 525/JT kits for. Good prices on the 530 stuff.

Good find, good prices. Your better off buying the items separately though. Best prices I've seen on JT rear sprockets shipped. Next time I need a chain I'll check that seller out on eBay. Its idaily: http://www.ebay.com/usr/idaily?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

·
Registered
54 Posts
My factory chain went 38,000 with a trip to DeadHorse ,Alaska and over 700 miles of gravel in that 10,300 trip!Best ever for me on a chain bike and more of my over 30 bikes were chain than any thing.You can get chains so cheap on E-bay so tried a real cheap one with a master link.Less than 10,000 it was shot so put new sprockets on allso and name brand next.Clean with K-oil and oil/grease real often. I would rather run less than too tight at any time.Vstrom will make more racket with a bad chain than any bike I have ever owned.Sounds as bad as the tranny clunk of the old early 60s BMW air heads IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts