StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...since i changed to the E07 tyres the front end is light and over 80mph there is a small wobble.
i think it might be because the geometry of the bike changed (taller tyre) as well as bar risers that shifted some of my weight slightly back.

so im thinking of lowering the triple by 5mm or less but i have one concern is there enough clearance so it doesnt hit if i bottom out.
if anyone did anything similar to this let me know.

all advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
528 Posts
Generally, lowering the front has the effect of decreasing rake, which lessens stability. That is why cruisers are more stable than sport bikes.
I have the E07's (about 1500 miles so far) on my vee2 and I've had it up to about 90mph and have not noticed any wobble. Are you sure they are balanced? Might want to try putting in some Ride-on.
Also, it would be easier to play around with pre-load to change the front-to-rear angle to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i had them balanced when i got them mounted (i have about 2500 miles on them by now ).
why would ride on help?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
so im thinking of lowering the triple by 5mm or less but i have one concern is there enough clearance so it doesnt hit if i bottom out.
if anyone did anything similar to this let me know.

all advice would be appreciated
To answer your question as asked: I have a V2 and have slid the triple tree down to the where the taper begins. No bottoming and believe that if it was going to , it would have. I think that taper is not located by accident.

AS for your slight wobble: If it is balanced / it is balanced. However, if it is balanced but the tire isn't centered on the rim ... I don't know those particular tires but they likely have a mold ring that you can look at. Some times tires aren't round enough. I know that Avon will replace a tire no questions asked if you can't get it mounted to satisfaction. Others likely will, too. Otherwise remove and carefully reinstall the wheel again. Then you have your basics done and can chase all the theories.

Reactions: alon

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question as asked: I have a V2 and have slid the triple tree down to the where the taper begins. No bottoming and believe that if it was going to , it would have. I think that taper is not located by accident.

AS for your slight wobble: If it is balanced / it is balanced. However, if it is balanced but the tire isn't centered on the rim ... I don't know those particular tires but they likely have a mold ring that you can look at. Some times tires aren't round enough. I know that Avon will replace a tire no questions asked if you can't get it mounted to satisfaction. Others likely will, too. Otherwise remove and carefully reinstall the wheel again. Then you have your basics done and can chase all the theories.
thanks thats what i wanted to know...busy the next 2 weekends but i will try after

·
Registered
250 Posts
5mm... WOW. I dropped the TLR by about 1.5-2 and GSX-R by 1.5 and they got sketchy... but cuts through corners like a razor knife...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have E07's on my 14 1000... no indication of wobble at speed. The only issue I've had is the lack of fender clearance on the front.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so talked to Yuval

and he suggested to lower the front's air pressure to 33psi instead of 36 like suzuki recommends(with the stock tires) did that rode from nyc to philly about 250miles in total speeds up to 105mph(just to check) steady as a rock even though it was windy as hell.

front is still light but i think i just have to adjust my suspension

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have E07's on my 14 1000... no indication of wobble at speed. The only issue I've had is the lack of fender clearance on the front.
get the fender raising kit from rick

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
so talked to Yuval

and he suggested to lower the front's air pressure to 33psi instead of 36 like suzuki recommends(with the stock tires) did that rode from nyc to philly about 250miles in total speeds up to 105mph(just to check) steady as a rock even though it was windy as hell.

front is still light but i think i just have to adjust my suspension
You need to check your pressures hot and cold.

Depending on ridding style if you start out with 36psi you will most likely get a hot pressure of about 39psi.

If you start out at 33psi you will get a hot pressure of around 40 to 41psi under the same conditions.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You need to check your pressures hot and cold.

Depending on ridding style if you start out with 36psi you will most likely get a hot pressure of about 39psi.

If you start out at 33psi you will get a hot pressure of around 40 to 41psi under the same conditions.

Help me understand your reasoning. I understand an under inflated tire runs hotter. Once that pressure built up to 36 PSI why would it continue building more than another tire at 36 PSI? It seems if your theory was true we could start out with nearly flat tires and just let the pressure build as we drove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
TKC 70s, forks through 10mm, Racetech springs and tuned for my riding, no problems

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Help me understand your reasoning. I understand an under inflated tire runs hotter. Once that pressure built up to 36 PSI why would it continue building more than another tire at 36 PSI? It seems if your theory was true we could start out with nearly flat tires and just let the pressure build as we drove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The lower pressure means the tyre moves more and generates more heat, that heat increases the air pressure.

On what we in OZ call caravans where the weight carried is quite high but really unknown most work on a 6psi rule, that is the difference between the hot pressure and the cold should be 6psi.

If the increase is less than 6psi the starting pressure was too high if the increase is more than 6psi the starting pressure was too low and can cause a blowout.

The figures I quoted are for a bike and come from my own experience, I run TPMS on my Strom (& cars) and can tell at a glance the pressures I have at any given point.

I can easily see when I'm working my tyres hard and when the road surfaces change, it all shows up, different tyres behave differently too.

I adjust my pressures to the weather conditions and the load I carry and work on 3psi rule for my bike.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I raised my forks 10mm - really like the quick turn-in and it feels stable up to at least 100mph. Stock tires and pressures.

·
Registered
476 Posts
get the fender raising kit from rick
Yup... I have it installed along with the kickstand foot and I got the axle wrench.

All very nice stuff. I'm quite happy with all of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts