StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering a move up in CCs and touring capability from my Gladius to the new V-Strom 1000. My problem is that I have about a 29" inseam on a good day. I see that Suzuki offers a Low Seat for the Strom 1000, but I'm not sure how much lower it actually is. Sargent offers a Low Seat that's about 1" lower than stock, but I'm sure that only 1" lower won't be enough for me. I also see that lowering links are available, so I suppose if I got the Sargent Low Seat and some 7/8" Lower Links, that might be enough, but I surely can't go and drop the big bucks on a new bike without being absolutely certain on all of this.

Do you have any other suggestions or info that may help?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Suzuki low seat is about 20mm (2cm) lower than stock. From what I've heard, the seat itself is a bit less padded (foam removed) therefore less comfortable. I bought AdventureTech lowering links (forum member) but I haven't installed it yet. After about 2 months of ownership I think I just got used to my bike's height. Unfortunately, it's impossible to determine if any of these remedies will be adequate, you gotta ride a bike to tell if it works for you or not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Suzuki low seat is about 20mm (2cm) lower than stock. From what I've heard, the seat itself is a bit less padded (foam removed) therefore less comfortable. I bought AdventureTech lowering links (forum member) but I haven't installed it yet. After about 2 months of ownership I think I just got used to my bike's height. Unfortunately, it's impossible to determine if any of these remedies will be adequate, you gotta ride a bike to tell if it works for you or not.
I am only 5'7". I did test ride a BMW R1200GSA, and didn't have any issues, but I also weighed 100 lbs more back then....so....

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm considering a move up in CCs and touring capability from my Gladius to the new V-Strom 1000. My problem is that I have about a 29" inseam on a good day. I see that Suzuki offers a Low Seat for the Strom 1000, but I'm not sure how much lower it actually is. Sargent offers a Low Seat that's about 1" lower than stock, but I'm sure that only 1" lower won't be enough for me. I also see that lowering links are available, so I suppose if I got the Sargent Low Seat and some 7/8" Lower Links, that might be enough, but I surely can't go and drop the big bucks on a new bike without being absolutely certain on all of this.

I did read somewhere about removing rubber blocks from under the seat to lower it. May apply only to older Stroms..I don't know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its (suzuki low seat) also narrower (thus more rounded) towards the tank. The "less comfortable" is subjective... I actually find my low seat more comfortable than the stock seat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am going to the dealership this evening to sign some paperwork, and actually throw a leg over the 1000. I have only ever sat on the 650, so before I take delivery I better see now if I need the lowered seat.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Boots

I have the prob because I got a custom saddle, which is thicker. I got RR's lowering links and got back the in or so I'd lost. Others have also mentioned getting logger-type boots which have full last, metal plate, and Vibram sole, all which will add a good in of "leg length." I have the Forma Adventure boots, which also add at least an in in leg length and provide lots of protection. I think one forum member got a shoe repair shop to make up a High Sole boot for him by gluing material to the boot mid sole, it's kind of short platform shoe/boot and may be workable for you.

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/all

·
Registered
373 Posts

Was at the dealership this evening, as I just bought a Strom 1000 without ever sitting on one. I am happy to report that with my 29" inseam, it was no issue. I was on the balls of my feet, but it wasn't a stretch or nor did it feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was at the dealership this evening, as I just bought a Strom 1000 without ever sitting on one. I am happy to report that with my 29" inseam, it was no issue. I was on the balls of my feet, but it wasn't a stretch or nor did it feel uncomfortable.
That's good to hear, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried removing the blocks, I didn't think it helped much at all on my 2007 DL650. The seat did get annoying after about an hour and I'm 5'4 and around 150lbs so I could see most people with more lbs feeling the seat as a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Congrats on the new 1000. I have been through this lowering thing when I owned my 2011 650, and more recently my 2014 1000. I have a 29" inseam, and lowered my 2011 when purchased new in 2011. This worked for me for 30,000 miles. For whatever reason, I did not lower my 1000 for the first 30,000 miles, but did purchase the OEM lower seat. I could touch the ground with the balls of my feet, but felt uncomfortable maneuvering to park and when riding slow off road. I recently lowered the rear 1" with adjustable lowering links, re-installed the OEM standard seat, and this made a BIG difference. I can almost flat foot the bike now with both feet.The riding characteristics feel the same , with no ill effects. When I rode the newly lowered 1000 with the low seat, my knees were bent too much. I could get lowering links for the controls, but instead just re-installed the standard seat, and this appears to be fine for me. I believe the best fix for lowering a bike is to replace the rear shock with one that is shorter, but that becomes expensive.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not sure what the OP finally did here, but my $.02:
I also have a 29" inseam... Just bought my 2nd Wee Strom (last was 2013; this is 2017)... 1st Strom I tried the lowered Sargent seat, and returned it for the standard... installed 3/4" links and raised the forks (lowered the front an equivalent 18mm or so). Worked out spectacularly...

Just ordered 7/8" links from Richard at Adventuretech, today for the new Strom. Had his fork brace on my last Strom (which he personally installed at a V-Strom rally at Deals Gap). Between the slightly lowered bike, and fork brace, the handling (which was good to begin with) was now remarkable... wind effect disappeared... Still couldn't flatfoot, but it was enough to make a huge difference... Lowering the bike (front and back) doesn't change the geometry (rake and trail), or leg/knee angle. Using a lower seat doesn't effect geometry, but it deepens knee angle... didn't work for me... stuck with the standard seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts