StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I recently went from a '12 650 to a '14 1000. Seems the added half inch or so in seat height and the added 40 lbs or so in weight ( + about 40 for crashbars, skid plate and Trax luggage ) has made more of a difference in my comfort level with the height than I thought. I'm a 30" inseam. I learned to live with the 35" seat height of a KLR and the 33" height of the Strom 650, but this is giving me more of a hard time. So I bought Adventure Tech 1" lowering plates and the dealer is putting those on in a few days.
My question: I assume I must lower the front end also. Is this possible? And how much should the front end be lowered if lowering the rear end 1"? As always, to my compatriots on two wheels, thank you. :)
Ride safe all.
gary

PS: also going to a 16T front sproket in hopes of improving very low speed maneuvering.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I put a 1" lift under my Wee and it was easier to reach the ground on that bike than my V2, I think it is the shape of the seat that caused my problem with the V2.

I lowered the front of my V2 10mm, not because of the reach but because I wanted it to turn in quicker.

Sorry I did not pay a lot of attention to just how far the front could go down before things start to clash.

I will have a look tomorrow if you don't get your answer by then.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, Rolex, and the experience, insight, and another reason for lowering! You're an early riser! :)
Ride safe.
gary

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I'm not sure how much the Vee2 can be safely lowered. AdventureTech sells 1" lowering links maximum so that is probably as much as you can safely do in back. You may be able to do the same or nearly the same in front for neutral handling but seat height is mostly about the rear suspension.

·
38,049 Posts
Yes, unless you lower the front the same amount, which is a good idea.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will lowering the rear 1" cause enough change to require adjusting the headlight aim?
Good information is flowing and questions I hadn't thought of are arising! Thank you, all. :)
g

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I lowered mine with the Adventure Tech 1" plates.
I slid the fork tubes up (triple tree down) 17mm or 0.67in. Initially I did an inch on the front and tuned it to my final choice after about 5 or 6 longish rides.

I wasn't really struggling with the OEM height but I use it as a street bike with occasional fire roads and lowering it has made a really great canyon carver, better. Yes, I scrap the foot peg feelers but just a little bit and not very often.

Yes, the head lights need to be adjusted. I installed HID lights so I left the low beam in the stock position as a courtesy to the car I'm following. I raised the high.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
You're an early riser! :)
Ride safe.
gary
No I'm not.

I hate getting out of bed.

I'm working a night shift, I'm bored and I'm down under in OZ

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I'm not.

I hate getting out of bed.

I'm working a night shift, I'm bored and I'm down under in OZ
Ah ha! I failed to note where you were writing from! :)
g

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh oh...... another related thought on the subject........ How's the stock kick stand gonna work with a 1" lower bike??? Hmmmmmm, will have to discuss this with the tech, Jerry, who's a very talented young man, at my dealer's. By the way, Enfield Motorsports in Enfield, CT have been a delight to work with over the course of 5 years and two motorcycles. Sisters Dale and Diane are very easy to work with. Cudos to them.
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I think my V2's kick stand would handle 1'' no problem.

If it is a problem you can grind some metal of the stand where it hits the stop, this will allow the stand to go further forwards thus shortening the stand.

By taking the metal off the stand you can easily add the metal back again later if need be when selling the bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Uh oh...... another related thought on the subject........ How's the stock kick stand gonna work with a 1" lower bike??? Hmmmmmm, will have to discuss this with the tech, Jerry, who's a very talented young man, at my dealer's. By the way, Enfield Motorsports in Enfield, CT have been a delight to work with over the course of 5 years and two motorcycles. Sisters Dale and Diane are very easy to work with. Cudos to them.
Ride safe all.
gary
I lowered mine 1 inch and the stock kickstand works but it does stand up a bit straight and can be a bit concerning.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I lowered mine 1 inch and the stock kickstand works but it does stand up a bit straight and can be a bit concerning.
ltjohn, how much did you lower the front end? And on the kick stand issue, I guess we just have to watch the lay of the land where we park, but that's nothing new anyway, hey?
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Ride safe.
gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the opposite direction...

Just bought a used Wee (my first Wee and first bike in several years) that was lowered what seems a pretty good amount. I'm flat footed on the ground which is great, but the kick stand is kinda iffy. In fact gusty winds might present problems. The center stand is a real (insert expletive) to get down. Now that might be because I never used a center stand before, or the geometry of the thing was messed up by the amount of lowering. Seems like when I looked at the ad online he said it was lowered like 1.5 to 1.75 inches. Which is too much I think. It has the bone with 3 holes bolted in the center hole. Should I move it? And which way. Newby with this style bike so any info appreciated. Used to ride a motorized lounge chair........

·
38,049 Posts
Stock is 140mm between hole centers. Every 1mm longer will lower the seat about 2.8mm. You could try the hole farthest from the end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ltjohn, how much did you lower the front end? And on the kick stand issue, I guess we just have to watch the lay of the land where we park, but that's nothing new anyway, hey?
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Ride safe.
gary
I lowered the front 3/4 of an inch

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I lowered the front 3/4 of an inch
That's just about what I was thinking. I have no idea why I was thinking that, though. How did you come to that number? And "gut feeling" is ok! lol
Ride safe all.
gary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts