StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5' 8" and struggle on my new 2014 Vstrom 1000 when it comes to backing out of a parking space. I decided to take my bike to my buddies shop to get it lowered. i already have the 1" lowered seat from Suzuki but it wasn't enough. here is a pic i wanted to share that lowered my bike down 2 more inches. I love it and no issues!!

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Unless the suspension travel was limited along with the lowering, you may get the tire hitting the bike on deep compressions. Two inches is a lot. It will also affect aerodynamics with the higher angle of attack so be careful at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's a welded dogbone? Don't know if I would put all my trust in that.:confused:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Take them off and go back to stock "or 1 inch links", that is just bad waiting to happen. I do not get vertically challenged people choosing a V-Strom or any ADV bike for that matter, but hey that is just me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Take them off and go back to stock "or 1 inch links", that is just bad waiting to happen. I do not get vertically challenged people choosing a V-Strom or any ADV bike for that matter, but hey that is just me.
+1, why on earth would a shortass bother getting a bike that is too 'big' for them, if you can't ride it stock that's got to be something telling right there,no? Somedays (okay, very rarely) I wish I was a squat build, that way I could ride dozens of bikes from dozens of makes. And that 'weld' thing, really? and you wanted to share what? That you were looking to get a Darwin Award?

·
38,103 Posts
Making new links or waiting for somebody to produce them is the way to go. PM richlandrick about it. He makes lowering links and just bought a Vee2. Welding links seems dangerous to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No strange handling?

Is there a way to take one inch off the back and one inch of the front (ie push the forks up 1" thru the triple tree) ?
Is that doable?

·
38,103 Posts
Based on this shot, it looks possible. I don't have any info on what clearance problems may be created. Remember though, lowering the front doesn't have nearly as much effect on seat height as lowering the rear. Lowering both ends by the same amount eliminates aerodynamic angle of attack changes though.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I've got short legs too

I am 5' 8" and struggle on my new 2014 Vstrom 1000 when it comes to backing out of a parking space. I decided to take my bike to my buddies shop to get it lowered. i already have the 1" lowered seat from Suzuki but it wasn't enough. here is a pic i wanted to share that lowered my bike down 2 more inches. I love it and no issues!!
I'm 5'8" as well and I made the adjustment to the 3/4" Kouba lowering links and sliding the forks the same amount and a lowered custom seat.

I would listen to GW and BigB-two inches is a lot and the welded dog bone worries me and sends a bad message. We all like to take small chances on the road and I need to know everything is solid under me when I do.

Congratulations on getting the bike and don't listen to those guys that are beating you up because you chose a V. Lots of us short guys have done it and you can too. Stay with it and watch your parking and low speed turns until you get a few thousand miles on you.

Best/RR

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
5'8" too. I've gone from the KLR to the F800GS to the Stelvio and now this. I love dual sport and all are tall bikes. I did opt for making Disco boots ala Elton John style out of my riding boots, tho. has helped alot. Shifting is a bit of a hassle but I manage. would show em to ya but I would be able to feel and have to bear the laughter from here.:green_lol:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I think the V-Stroms should come with another warning sticker! :green_lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I reckon some are being creative in the use of the tape measure. I am a 'just' 5' 8" and apart from it being a stretch to get both tippy-toes on the ground, I have found no need to reduce the height from standard (with standard seat).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I reckon some are being creative in the use of the tape measure. I am a 'just' 5' 8" and apart from it being a stretch to get both tippy-toes on the ground, I have found no need to reduce the height from standard (with standard seat).

Yes, I'm just 5'-4" and only have the bike lowered 1-1/2". Btw, 27" inseam, go to the gym if you can't handle it, ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Chiming in.5'8", 29.5 " inseam.When I owned my '11 Wee, I lowered the rear one inch with adjustable lowering links. Worked great for me. I am using the low seat on '14 Vee2. It works great for me. I can touch the balls of my feet fine. I personally feel fine with this, but you have to do what feels safe for you. I will tell you as stated above, it gets easier with more miles/experience. 2000 miles on my red Vee2 and LOVING it.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
I PM-ed the originator of the thread.

I will make some lowering links for the Vee2, but right now there isn't enough data available to predict what change in length results in what change in seat height and I'm too busy with other easier projects to figure it myself. I'll bet it will need to be done empirically.

On a Vee1 Wee1 or Wee2 dropping the seat 2 inches with lower links is at least 7/8" past where trouble begins. I don't think any of us actually know where trouble would begin on the Vee2, but lowering 2" makes me shudder without any information that says it would be OK.

BTW, on the Vee2 there is plenty of room to drop the forks before worrying about clearance issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts