StromTrooper banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought this kit for my 18 1000 XT and love the added room it provides. I am however having a problem with the clutch not engaging from neutral. I have watched the video more times than I care to admit and taken the gear shift arm off of the shaft and adjusted the location on the teeth and still can't get it to function properly. Nothing I do seems to work. What am I doing wrong? The brake side was done with no issue whatsoever. I even took a before picture and marked the location on the shaft before I removed anything. I am unable to ride my bike now as I can't get it into gear and it has less than 700 miles on it. Help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed the AdventureTech foot peg and control lowering kit on my 2019 Vstrom 650. First rate service and product as usual. And now my size 48 boot works perfect with the shifter. Also my knees aren't so bent and when I'm standing on the pegs I no longer feel like I'm yanking on my arms. It's amazing what a difference 1 inch lower and .25 inch forward pegs make.

My one and only suggestion would be to include a short 10X1.25 metric bolt to fill the hole where the shifter had been attached to the foot peg bracket. Luckily I found a spare bolt in the garage that worked perfect. I'm just weird that way, I hate having unused threaded holes on the bike.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure you followed the video instructions carefully.
Have a look here from 15.35. Footpeg and Control Lowering Instructions

The video shows the procedure for a 650. The 1000 actuator arm is upside down to the 650.
I"m sure that I did and even took a picture of it before I took it off so that I had a reference point. I'm going out to the garage now to give it another try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok - I just moved it over one tooth on the spline and it now works. I'm absolutely certain I did this the other night and it didn't work, but perhaps I was frustrated and not mentally clear at the time. Either way, I think I'm good to go (too cold to road test it today). Will update if there is any issue. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - I love the fact that Rick offered his assistance as sometimes that personal touch is lacking in todays world of Amazon purchasing. I will absolutely purchase additional items from your store as my budget allows.

·
Administrator
5,380 Posts
I'm glad it is resolved. The important thing is to have the actuator arm at right angles to the adjustable shaft that links to the foot lever.
Then you "fine adjust" the position of your foot lever height by shortening/lengthening the adjustable shaft. How about posting a pic for us.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm glad it is resolved. The important thing is to have the actuator arm at right angles to the adjustable shaft that links to the foot lever.
Then you "fine adjust" the position of your foot lever height by shortening/lengthening the adjustable shaft. How about posting a pic for us.
Maybe the thing to do is make marks on the shaft and the shifter marking adjacent spline teeth - sorta like timing gear marks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Taidog1,

I love helping people with installs (gratis) just for the pleasure of working on bikes and talking with owners. Let me know when so I will be sure to be here. Got a birthday coming up and a shopping trip to Costco but other than that I' wide open.

Rick
Rick,

Thank you. Self-employed here and very busy so I apologize for my tardy reply. This week I am slammed, so hopefully next week. I will definitely call you first. Thanks again Rick. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure thing! The first picture is before and the next two pictures are after.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,380 Posts
Sure thing! The first picture is before and the next two pictures are after.
Your 1000 works opposite to my 650 but the principle remains the same.
Does your threaded shaft have enough thread to allow you to turn your actuator arm one more spline clockwise? Look at how my 650 actuator arm is more at right angles to the threaded shaft. Am I correct in assuming that you have already moved it one spline clockwise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your 1000 works opposite to my 650 but the principle remains the same.
Does your threaded shaft have enough thread to allow you to turn your actuator arm one more spline clockwise? Look at how my 650 actuator arm is more at right angles to the threaded shaft. Am I correct in assuming that you have already moved it one spline clockwise? View attachment 270075
Actually that’s where it currently is. In the second or third picture you can see a faint mark which shows where it was originally. I haven’t road tested it yet, so I’m not sure what the effect will be. I do see that yours has more of an angle to it though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually that’s where it currently is. In the second or third picture you can see a faint mark which shows where it was originally. I haven’t road tested it yet, so I’m not sure what the effect will be. I do see that yours has more of an angle to it though.
Ok. So I road tested it and it wasn’t as smooth as normal. I shifted it one tooth to the right and it lines up with the mark I made before I took it off to lower it. All good now!

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,380 Posts
Excellent. Enjoy the lowered pegs. I find them far more comfortable and easier to transition from sitting to standing.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts