StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2019 650AXT. Seat is fine as is everything else EXCEPT after about an hour my right leg starts to cramp up - getting older is a pain. CAREFULLY, I extend my leg out in the air for about 2 or 3 min and back on the peg. That works for about another 30 min.

Here and there I read that lowering the pegs by 1" makes a worthwhile difference. While I'm sure that's true for some, I don't think 1" is going to help me much.

Any suggestions here would be helpful as this is the ONLY fault I can find with this great bike.

Thanks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Try it , you will like it. I am 70 and I was surprised at how that 1 inch makes a difference to my old knees. I had the Adventure Tech kit on my 2014 (traded the bike last year) and now, yesterday I installed there kit to my new to me, 2013 model. Can't go wrong for the price and if it does not work out you can always sell the brackets to someone else.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS Gents. Highway pegs????? Will definitely look into those.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
I put lowering pegs on another bike, BMW 800ST, and it really helped the leg positioning. There are pricey adjusters and lesser cost devices, they effectively do the same thing.
When I did the BMW I used Buell pegs that worked perfectly for about $30. They were shit though and shattered like glass in a fall over. Very disappointing. Mind that highway pegs put all you concentrated weight on you butt and lower back. Those are not for everyone either. I hang my feet on the passenger pegs during the highway drones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Notacop. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Think of an airline seat that reclines about 5º; small change of position really matters.

I came from a Kawasaki ZX11 to my DL650, so the joy of riding unfolded so far is enough for me. Standing up helps now and then, too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks. Have done the standing up at moderate speeds. That works too. Going into the dealer I trust on Mon or Tues to have the hi-beam headlight adjusted. Will talk to Adam about foot pegs and lowering pegs. Have a great week-end ya'll.

Cheers.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,215 Posts
Contact Rick at Adventure Tech. He posted above. His footpeg lowering kit is the best in the business. I wish he made them for more brands!

I have them. Don't even think about it. Order them. Think of other things where just over an inch would make ALL the difference!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm not a fan of lowering pegs as they are a lot easier to scrape. I'd look either raising the seat if you are not vertically challenged or the best solution is highway pegs.

Also I figured out a long time ago do not sit locked in position and wait until discomfort sets in to move around and stretch. If you wait its too late. Now when I know I'm in for big day of riding from the start about every 15 to 30 minutes I'll move my legs around, stand up, dangle my legs, put feet up on highway pegs or back on the pillion pegs. Same with my upper body. Move arms around. Lean back slightly and hold onto the corner of the pannier. Twist torso back and forth.

·
Vendor
4,932 Posts
PerazziMx14,

Have you installed a peg lowering kit on your V-Strom? I'll loan you one if you have not.

I think if you do a search you will find that very few riders scrape pegs with the lowering kit installed. When they do it is usually do to riding technique. Keeping the body bolt upright when trying to corner aggressively, or worse leaning the bike and keeping the body upright, that kind of thing. There are lot of posts on the subject to be found with search the tool if your interested.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just so happens I'm not really interested in searching lower foot pegs due to the fact that I could scrape the stock pegs. Can't imagine lowering them an inch would make it less prone to touching down??

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
+1 on Ricks lowering kit from this 72 year old. My 05 650 caused me some knee pain on long rides and I saw rick installing them a the Montrose rally 2010. Bought them and the 1500 mile ride home proved them out. When I bought my 18 1000 a set was ordered before it was even home.
PS I'm just over 6' and 33" inseam. In some cases 1" can be a lot.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,215 Posts
Just so happens I'm not really interested in searching lower foot pegs due to the fact that I could scrape the stock pegs. Can't imagine lowering them an inch would make it less prone to touching down??
Because they don't lower your ground clearance by an "inch" when leaned over. You will have that "inch" ( or whatever the drop is that Ricks kit gives ) when measuring vertically, but at a 25 degree lean angle that is less than an inch drop in clearance. I'll let the brain types figure out how much that changes clearance.
I have run all three V Stroms with...and without Ricks peg lowering kit. Yes, you do touch the peg slightly sooner when riding very hard. Even using correct technique. But there simply isn't all that much difference and at no time did I think they interfered with my going through a turn. If the pegs were not designed to flip up, it might be more of an issue. But it is not an issue on the street with the factory design.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I too have the lowering pegs. You never mentioned your height and inseam, nobody has. I am an extremely good looking 6 foot 2 with a 32 inch inseam. I too thought 1 inch would be nothing. In total, delivered it was about 100-120 bucks Canadian. If you want more, there are pegs you can buy and if you flip them a certain way, they give you another 1/2 inch. An aftermarket seat is a huge investment, and I think this has more ways to go bad. With a seat there is height, and bum comfort, with a price tag of 400 to 600$. Start with the pegs and move on from there. I can drive 10 hours and no issues with knee pain.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Because they don't lower your ground clearance by an "inch" when leaned over. You will have that "inch" ( or whatever the drop is that Ricks kit gives ) when measuring vertically, but at a 25 degree lean angle that is less than an inch drop in clearance. I'll let the brain types figure out how much that changes clearance.
I have run all three V Stroms with...and without Ricks peg lowering kit. Yes, you do touch the peg slightly sooner when riding very hard. Even using correct technique. But there simply isn't all that much difference and at no time did I think they interfered with my going through a turn. If the pegs were not designed to flip up, it might be more of an issue. But it is not an issue on the street with the factory design.
All I can say is good on you that this works for you. I know from expierence that I could easily drag the stock pegs (not riding aggressively) and if I drop them one inch lower they would be even easier to drag.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
What I've done? I've installed lowering pegs kit, adjustable off road pegs with removable rubber inserts (SW Motech I think) and Suzuki tall seat. It works great for me. Definitely lowering pegs kit is a first step.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Contact Rick at Adventure Tech. He posted above. His footpeg lowering kit is the best in the business. I wish he made them for more brands!

I have them. Don't even think about it. Order them. Think of other things where just over an inch would make ALL the difference!
I searched for a footpeg lowering kit before I bought my vstrom, and if I couldn't have bought one I wouldn't have bought the bike.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
That inch makes all the difference. Get the Adventure Tech lowering kit, and if you have big feet get the control repositioning add-on too.

Not that you asked about seats, but I am more and more convinced that the height of the seat (only 1 inch difference as well) also plays a big part of what makes a seat feel comfortable; the other being the contact surface area. Anyway, my point is that an inch sounds like nothing but it makes a big difference.

That inch helps not just in the seated position, but also in the standing position. I went an inch down on the pegs and an inch up on the handlebars. And can now stand without crouching or hunching over. It makes it so I can stand up as long as needed (at least until the arches of my feet get tired from supporting all my weight on the pegs). Similar to how stretching your leg out for a short time works for another 30 minutes, standing does that for your whole body (back, shoulders, arms, knees, butt).

For comparison, I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam and size 13 shoes. Just a little outside the designers' average person profile...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts