StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 Vee. At my age (soon to be 70) I can still get my leg up over the bike to get on and off. However, it's getting harder and harder.

I'm thinking about getting a new shock that will lower the bike and inch and cutting down the kick stand. I don't want to change the cockpit because it's so comfortable. I know I can lower the front and lowering links in the back. I've done that on bikes before, but it changes the suspension. I'd like to keep everything the same, just an inch lower.

I'd like to hear information from any Strommers that have done this.

Thanks,

KKORO

·
Vendor
5,422 Posts
Cheapest, easiest, and possibly best way is to use lowering links and raise the fork tubes.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/raising-and-lowering-links.html

I say possibly best because you retain the full travel of the rear shock and handling is not adversely effected. In theory the lower center of gravity improves handling. But I have never ever heard anyone claim improved handling from lower both ends.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it is mainly for getting on and off, have you tried the foot peg method (put left foot on foot peg, mount it like a horse)? Instead of contorting yourself and potentially scratching your seat and luggage with your right boot, you just elegantly swing the foot over with plenty of clearance. Especially with luggage it is like night and day.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
IMHO - If you lower the rear by whatever method you choose, you'll have to raise the forks by the same amount. Otherwise you'll be altering the steering geometry.

Attachments

Reactions: Lafemiller

·
Registered
895 Posts
You can get on by putting your left foot on the left footpeg and swing your r foot over the bike.

There is a "U" shaped loop that is on the side stand that you can stand on with your L foot while getting on and off.

Out of curiosity I welded a thick fender washer onto the U bolt part of a 1/4" cable clamp and clamped that on to the side stand U loop. standing on the fender washer is like standing on a block 4 or 5 inches high while getting on and off.

I have not noticed any problem with the fender washer being in the way at any time.

At 75 y.o. I don't feel bad about cheating whenever I can. Whatever it takes to keep going.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it's silly, but I worry about putting too much weight on the side stand. That's what I had to do with my KLR. With the raising links I put on to stiffen the suspension, it had a 37" seat.

Please tell me I'm totally wrong about the strength of the kick stand.

KKORO

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know it's silly, but I worry about putting too much weight on the side stand. That's what I had to do with my KLR. With the raising links I put on to stiffen the suspension, it had a 37" seat.

Please tell me I'm totally wrong about the strength of the kick stand.

KKORO
OK, LOL, you are wrong. Never heard of anyone having problems with stock side stands, aftermarket, yes (the adjustable or aluminum stands). I've always mounted my bikes by standing on the left foot peg.

You might consider mounting your bike like the Lone Ranger used to mount Silver...from the rear with a vault to clear the top box.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, LOL, you are wrong. Never heard of anyone having problems with stock side stands, aftermarket, yes (the adjustable or aluminum stands). I've always mounted my bikes by standing on the left foot peg.

You might consider mounting your bike like the Lone Ranger used to mount Silver...from the rear with a vault to clear the top box.
At my age, not only do I not jump, but I don't run either.

KKORO

Reactions: Lafemiller

·
Vendor
5,422 Posts
As long as the bike is on a solid surface using the side stand and standing on a peg to get on will be fine. I learned to get on that way after putting on hard bags. However, since you have a 2002 to 2012 DL1000 your stock side stand foot is really small. No V-strom needs a bolt on side stand foot more than the original Vee. If you don't have one yet, might want to get one or put something under the tiny foot before getting on. Especially when the asphalt is hot or ground soft.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
I ended up chewing a hole in my rear fender (underseat storage) from bottoming out. lowered about an inch with links, and 3/4" with the fork tubes

·
Registered
238 Posts
I second the need for a sidestand foot. While putting my 650 up on the OEM (accessory) center stand one leg punched through an asphalt drive (yes, v. cheap asphalt) and nearly tipped over away from me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im on my fourth V and I have always stood on the peg with the side stand down. Never a problem and I weigh about 200 pounds. As to using lowering links, I installed then on two different Vs and the rear tire rubbed the inside of the fender when riding two up or with full luggage. I have a cheap method to rework the inner fender if you are determined to lower.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
As to using lowering links, I installed then on two different Vs and the rear tire rubbed the inside of the fender when riding two up or with full luggage. I have a cheap method to rework the inner fender if you are determined to lower.
I had a studded tire during winter months, so that rubbing, was chewing a hole

·
Registered
73 Posts
standing on the footpeg before swinging the right leg over is not uncommon for really tall bikes like the africa twin. if the ground is not really hard or the lean angle on the bike is too much, i will mount by standing on the right side footpeg and throw up the left leg over. of course, this take practice and requires one to reach the left handle bar and get plenty of upper body weight on the left handle bar before standing on the right side footpeg. at 6'2" & 160 lbs, i can do this, but it might not work if i vertically challenged or heavier. the maneuver looks pretty crazy, but not as difficult as the lone ranger hop on from the rear. happy trails.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as the bike is on a solid surface using the side stand and standing on a peg to get on will be fine. I learned to get on that way after putting on hard bags. However, since you have a 2002 to 2012 DL1000 your stock side stand foot is really small. No V-strom needs a bolt on side stand foot more than the original Vee. If you don't have one yet, might want to get one or put something under the tiny foot before getting on. Especially when the asphalt is hot or ground soft.
I'm often in soft surface when camping. That's why I've got an Adventuretech side stand foot. Highly recommended.

KKORO

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
4 Posts
change seat

I've got a 2012 Vee. At my age (soon to be 70) I can still get my leg up over the bike to get on and off. However, it's getting harder and harder.

I'm thinking about getting a new shock that will lower the bike and inch and cutting down the kick stand. I don't want to change the cockpit because it's so comfortable. I know I can lower the front and lowering links in the back. I've done that on bikes before, but it changes the suspension. I'd like to keep everything the same, just an inch lower.

I'd like to hear information from any Strommers that have done this.

Thanks,

KKORO

Hi. My name is Robert, I just bought a 2009 dl1000 with 25k miles on it. I am 5'7" 165lbs and have a 29-30 inch inseam. The original dl1000 seat gives the bike a seat height of 33.2 inches... I thought about lowering it but it didn't seem as easy as the following things I modified to finally be able to flat foot on it and get my leg over it easier.

I did 5 technically 6 things to help me get my leg over and to be able to flat foot... and feel very STABLE at low speeds and stops. because previously... I was on my toes and the front half of my shoe at stops and I was dropping my bike.

#1 traded my .8 inch thicker dl1000 seat for a dl650 seat. (-.80 inches0
#2 the dl650 seat I traded for... was slightly shaven down already internally of some of the foam which probably lowered the seat another (-.2 inches)
#3 I took off the 4 rubber cube feet underneath the seat. (-.8 inches)
#4 I modified my shoes by: putting a 1 inch lift underneath my heel that I bought on amazon for like $10. then I bought 2 cheap cut to size foam foot pads to decrease the amount of dead space inside my motorcycle, which made my foot much more snug and tight fitted in the boot so my foot wouldn't start moving around too much inside the boot. the lift pushed my heel down an extra inch and the dr. my toes more grip. ( gained 1" plus .2 inches" in height and inseam )
#5 I loosened the stiffness of my suspension by turning the knob to the softest setting (not sure how much I gained from this)
#6 when I ride two up with my girlfriend who is a little over a hundred pounds I gain another inch.

My previous bike was a 30.9 inch seat height 2013 ninja 300

#1-3 is what I suggest you do first...
#4 isn't really your issue butttt I personally think it made the biggest impact for me because it made my foot nice and snug and made me an inch taller. #4 is probably not recommended by everyone but I think it was the perfect cheap cheap mod for me to make to my shoes. to make your legs longer to make it easier for you to get that leg over. you may or may not want to do #4. why? well.. the 1 inch lift in your shoe may not be something you care to do.. I'm 5'7" and #4 made a HUGE difference for me to finally get me flat footing. it kind of lifts the back of your foot up by an inch inside your shoe so when your out walking around it may feel like your wearing a high heel for a minute the first time you do it but after that you get use to it and you'll be that extra inch taller you always wished for lol.

the only 2 times ive dropped my dl1000 was when I was at low speed readjusting my parking at home wearing these mesh running shoes that my feet would casually slide around in.. rolled my ankle and dropped my bike twice....

then I noticed I should have been wearing my sturdier motorcycle boots... but realised those too had a lot of dead space inside of them and I felt like I couldn't grip my toes firmly so I at least recommend the foot pads to add comfort and to make your foot and boot fit more snuggly so you have a firm footing and not have your foot too loose inside your boot.

With these mods.. I gained 1.2 inches in height comfortably and my seat is now at least 2 inches lower. technically over 3 inches lower with my increase in height from my shoe modifications.

And no... I haven't had any issues rolling my ankles at a stop with the lift inside... if anything I feel a nice snug boot with the ability to use my whole foot now at stops to keep my bike up. I am flat footing very easily now.

If you do all of these things I bet you you wouldn't need to lower your bike anymore. you'd be standing much taller over that seat. I've gained SO MUCH more confidence on my V storm that it is crazy. I just got this bike a month ago and im able to sit on it and whip it around almost as easily as my little 2013 300cc ninja (383lbs)

I will add a couple of pictures of the stuff I put in my shoes to make them fit more firm, snug, and add height to my legs. Don't focus on this one if you don't want try everything else first.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts