StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, lowering. I know, most of the threads that I can find are trying to raise the bars and move them back. Well, I've always been in the difficult to handle group and have been considered odd in almost everything I do. Not wanting to disturb the general image that I've worked so hard to create, I'd decided to try lowering my bars for a more sporty feel to the riding position.

Yes, I understand all the ergonomics and how they may affect the handling of the bike but I wanted to expand the cockpit a little by placing the handlebars further away from me. I have ordered these from the Motorcycle-Super store. I figure that the price is less than $20 so I'm only out the 20 and the time to test my configuration.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I coulda saved you the $20 if you'd only requested my sage advice before you charged ahead to a timid half-measue solution.

You could just flip the stock handlebars so they hang down awesomely low.

You're Welcome,

Norm

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
I coulda saved you the $20 if you'd only requested my sage advice before you charged ahead to a timid half-measue solution.

You could just flip the stock handlebars so they hang down awesomely low.

You're Welcome,

Norm
I remember doing that to bicycle handlebars as a kid. Gave the bike the cool racer look without the $. Worked great until you had to make a sharp turn or u-turn. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I thought of that and you guys are too funny. It won't work because the rise would be too much dip. No turns...as you said.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Actually, I thought of that and you guys are too funny. It won't work because the rise would be too much dip. No turns...as you said.
You want sporty, lose tha fairing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure how those MX bars will lower your hands compared to the stock bars on the Strom.

I did buy those exact bars to try to make my SV650s into a Pre-Strom.
The project included changing the upper tripletree, adding the blocks and bars, changing the brake cables and rerouting the throttle, clutch cable other wiring. The seat was leveled, and I scrounged up an old six-pack rack from the front of a quad and reworked it into a usable tailrack.

Then, after staying off the lithium for a week, I welded up a new fairing mount that raised the fairing three inches and forward one inch. The original mirrors were frame mounted on the SV. The new ones are meant for a mountain bike. They had a built-in shock absorber, so they were very good on the bar ends and they cost $14 each if I remember correctly.

My first real motorcycle mod, other than farkling.

When I sold the bike, it was to a blonde, twenty year old college co-ed, with a 38 inch inseam and Daisy Dukes.
She swung her leg over the seat and turned to give me a big smile.
That image is forever burned into my memory, lithium notwithstanding. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Same general goal I had when I cut apart a spare set of stock bars and rewelded them (less rise, less pullback).
I followed that project and you hit the nail right on the head. Very nice job. :thumbup:
I have finally determined the sweep of the oem bars is what is causing my left wrist to hurt. The Vee is the only bike I have that issue with; all the others have less sweep. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to get an idea of what I want, and I will be contacting Renthal tomorrow. Getting the sweep I want is going to be a boogger when it comes to clearing the windscreen.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
New bars just arrived. They're white, like my Wee, and the rise is a little more that I thought it would be, but that's probably good, so I can manage to clear the tank at full lock. Both the sweep and the rise seem about half of the stock bars and I will try to mount them today at lunch (I rode to work) just to see if they will allow the fork to turn lock-to-lock without contact. I remain optimistic about the more sporty outcome.

StrominNormin: I did evaluate loosing the fairing and may yet go that route, but the price of the pieces and parts for the modified headlight mount are out of range for my wallet right now. Stay tuned...

It took me a little over an hour to install the Fly Racing bars. I was working slow and taking my time, but they fit and the levers clear the fairing nicely, which was my biggest worry. I had to clip the nubs off of the controls on each side, instead of drilling into the bar, to re-attach but I don't anticipate any problems. The levers re-attached without issue and I even get room for my RAM mounts at the riser. No time over lunch for a test ride, so I don't know how they feel except for sitting on seat and adjusting the mirror...gosh, I wonder if I remember to plug in the clutch lock out wires? Hummm....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Keep posting on this. I've been waffling about changing out the bars for lower less-sweepy bars. My goal is to get a little closer to the fairing, hoping to get just ahead of the turbulent air. Issues I will have will include the Kaoko throttle lock and OEM heated grips.

For the price you can't go wrong trying it out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep posting on this. I've been waffling about changing out the bars for lower less-sweepy bars. My goal is to get a little closer to the fairing, hoping to get just ahead of the turbulent air. Issues I will have will include the Kaoko throttle lock and OEM heated grips.

For the price you can't go wrong trying it out.
That was my thought too. I can tell you that the levers reach right up to the fairing and into the cut out of the fairing shape like they were made to fit. The look is good and I am anxious to ride home this afternoon after work. I will try to remember to get some pictures before I head out for the maiden voyage test ride. These bars are about three inches lower and about 1/2 the sweep. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test Ride Report

Ok, I rode it home last night: 25 miles, city and highway with about 8 miles of county black top that allows me to push it a little.

First off: everything worked; lights, horn, etc. Glad of that, levers and grips stayed in place dispite having snipped the nubs off of the inside of the housings for the controls. I didn't want to drill holes into the new bar so I decided to take the chance. Worked good.

The sweep, i.e. angle of the bend at the grip portion is about half of the stock bar set but the bar itself is the same length. That translates to putting your hands wider apart and means that you will get more air on your arms. It also means that you have the feeling of more leverage because the bar seems wider that the stock set. Also, because the sweep is straigter, you have to reach out a little further, which is good to me because I wanted to lean into the bar/turns and the stock set put my body too close the the grips when I leaned over. This feels good. My forearms are about level with the ground, my elbows are comfortably bent and relaxed, and I feel like I have good control with the new bars. Also, being slightly leaned forward tucks you under some of the air turbulance coming over the stock windscreen and when I relax my elbows, they naturally tuck into my body so the wind is further reduced.

I had to adjust the brake and clutch levers after I arrived home because the master cylinder hydrolic line colar touched the black plastic on the side of the plastic ring that attaches to the fuel tank. This worked fine and actually leveled the master cylinder from the tilted install I had initially. Now the sight window is level and straight. There is about 1/4" between the plastic ring and the windshield when turned lock-to-lock. Everything is clear and not rubbing or touching. I could have adjusted the break line, but that would mean disturbing that seal and I'm not interested in bleeding the brakes for this simple mod. My cheap eBay bar end mirrors mounted without incident.

I like the result, but I can imagine the most would fine the extra reach annoying. I also like the white color of the new bar, but that's just me. It's not a perfect color match for the Suzuki white, but it's close enough for the girls I know. I don't have access to my Photobucket account from work, so I can't post pictures. Sorry.

Only problem that I have is that I won't be able to re-install my BarkBusters because there isn't enough room for the mounting brackets, but that's ok because my new gloves have been providing all the protection my hands have needed, so I'll be looking to sell my BarkBusters. They're a little scratched up from drops, but still have lots of life in them, so that should'nt be an issue.

The new bars look good and work great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you please post a couple of pics when you get a chance?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's da evidence:

You can see in the last photo that the clearance is pretty close, but there is no contact. I am looking forward to further testing/riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts