StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have lowering links on my '09 vee that the link mfg. says will lower my bike 3/4" = That's not enough with my 31" inseat and new Russell seat. So I purchased a pair that mfg says will lower the bike 1-1/8", before putting them on I measured them (150mm c to c) they're the same length as the ones that lowered my bike 3/4". Anyone else found this problem or does anyone have any suggestions. Grow longer legs, I should have thought of that 60 or 65 years ago.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
A 31 inch inseam is perfect for this bike, total flat footing is not necessary and very overrated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went the 3/4" route after I got my Russel also. But for riding in Mexico with all the fricking topes I wanted a stock height. So I bought a set of Soupys Adjustable Lowering Links. That's just the ticket for changing the rear height for adjustable conditions.

I also cut down the rubber cushions on the bottom of the seat and added 3/8" to the soles of my riding boots.

It all seems to work out.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
A 31 inch inseam is perfect for this bike, total flat footing is not necessary and very overrated.
+1. I would gently suggest that you might be better served learning to be comfortable without flatfooting.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable losing that much clearance with the squishy stock suspension. If I wanted it shorter, I'd modify the suspension to include a shorter and stiffer spring, and shorten the side stand.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
+1. I would gently suggest that you might be better served learning to be comfortable without flatfooting.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable losing that much clearance with the squishy stock suspension. If I wanted it shorter, I'd modify the suspension to include a shorter and stiffer spring, and shorten the side stand.
+2. A 31" inseam is plenty.

I have a 32" inseam and installed 1" raising links in order to gain cornering clearance in the twisties. Not to mention a Sasquatch-rebuilt shock with beefier spring.

And oh yeah, a beadrider. That's another half inch or so, right? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think what's been lost in this thread is the fact that he installed a Russell Day Long seat. That can raise the seat by almost 2 inches. So a 31" inch inseam suddenly becomes a 29" inseam.

I have a 32" inseam and felt quite comfortable with the stock seat. But after installing a Russell I felt uncomfortable with the seat height. And if you say just get used to it, I've been riding for over 50 years. What's comfortable for one person may not be for another. Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts