StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking at lowering my bike struggling to touch the floor with both feet. Ordered some 30mm links so i take i drop the front the same ammount. Looks straight forward undo the two bolts either side on the lower clamp and the bolt on the top clamp. Anything to look out for whilst doing this. Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Will, if you search the forum you'll find lot of posts about lowering links. I don't know if you have a center stand on your bike but it will be much easier to do this if the back wheel is securely lifted of the ground. Have you checked the OEM lower seat option?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Will, I don't know if there is any major difference between my 09 strom and the later series.
I'm going the other way on my K9 Wee. When I purchased the bike it had lowering links fitted. It's nigh on impossible to get it up onto the centre stand. I've just purchase standard links to go back to original.
If you are thinking of adding a centre stand then you may have to modify (shorten) the centre stand.
Make sure you keep the old links - just in case you want to go back to original.

On the early Wee's with ABS you can only drop the front about 10mm to avoid hitting the front brake lines. Your bike might be different.

The bolts can be removed with the rear wheel airborne without any problems but be prepared they are ......TIGHT ! and may have a thread lock compound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've measured my heel from the ground its 11cm is dropping it 3cm going toto make much difference?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had heard around 20mm on the forks is about the max, but don't quote me on that. If the rear is lower than than the front relative to what it is now, turn in will start getting harder and the bike won't feel as nimble. You may can do a combination of lowering suspension and lower seat.

When raising the fork tubes the bike may or may not drop when you loosen the clamp bolts, so be sure to support the frame or bars.

11cm is a lot...you won't get there on this bike (stock ground clearance is around 16cm I think), but 5 or 6cm (suspension + seat) would certainly help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi. I am also vertically challenged. Installed Ravetech 25mm lowering links, which is super easy to do just using the side stand and an automotive juck on the other side, until the rear wheel almost loses ground contact but not quite. They are stainless and look good. I dropped the forks 21mm which is a number that came up a few time as safe but I cannot say I found anything scientific backing it up. Just undo one fork leg at a time, three screws. Place a thin piece of wood on top of the fork tube, otherwise the fork tube may go too far and hit the handlebar, which is probably around 25mm, and a bit tricky to wrestle back down to the intended drop if it happens.
I am about to weld the kickstand back together after shortening it 1.4” in length or 1” in vertical dimension.

·
Registered
773 Posts
30mm (1.18in) is about the max you can safely lower... Best case is you lower the triple tree (raise the forks) an equivalent increment to maintain bike geometry.

I just lowered mine 19mm (3/4in) front an d back. Triple tree is almost touching the handlebars... When I lowered my 2013, I had to swap out the kickstand for an adjustable. On my 2017, for whatever reason, it wasn't necessary...there's still enough lean... BTW, I'm 5'9", 29" inseam, and the 19mm was perfect.

If you haven't ordered links yet, you might want to try Rick Richland's from AdventureTech (he's on this forum). He makes excellent links (better than stock), among other Strom products...

I posted pics of his installed links on my bike somewhere else in this forum...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys looking at lowering my bike struggling to touch the floor with both feet. Ordered some 30mm links so i take i drop the front the same ammount. Looks straight forward undo the two bolts either side on the lower clamp and the bolt on the top clamp. Anything to look out for whilst doing this. Thanks Paul.
30mm links are going to RAISE your bike.. A lot! You need longer than stock links to lower the bike. Stock is 140mm, and every 7-10mm longer than that will lower your bike around an inch.

·
Registered
773 Posts
30mm links are going to RAISE your bike.. A lot! You need longer than stock links to lower the bike. Stock is 140mm, and every 7-10mm longer than that will lower your bike around an inch.
If I'm not mistaken, I think he meant he bought links that were going to LOWER his bike 30mm... (which are ~148mm links).

Reactions: Rickstwowheels

·
Registered
504 Posts
See attached photo: Rear lowered 25mm (Ravetech link), front lowered 21mm (a couple mm from touching the handlebars), side stand with 1-1/4" (approx. 30mm) cut out and re-welded, Suzuki low seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
30mm (1.18in) is about the max you can safely lower... Best case is you lower the triple tree (raise the forks) an equivalent increment to maintain bike geometry.

I just lowered mine 19mm (3/4in) front an d back. Triple tree is almost touching the handlebars... When I lowered my 2013, I had to swap out the kickstand for an adjustable. On my 2017, for whatever reason, it wasn't necessary...there's still enough lean... BTW, I'm 5'9", 29" inseam, and the 19mm was perfect.

If you haven't ordered links yet, you might want to try Rick Richland's from AdventureTech (he's on this forum). He makes excellent links (better than stock), among other Strom products...

I posted pics of his installed links on my bike somewhere else in this forum...
I lowered my '16 the same amount (3/4") front and back. That amount of lowering worked out well for me (5'9").
I tried a method of grinding some off of the kickstand where it touches the frame stop (up near the top). Was something I read on this forum. I ended up taking too much off and it weakened the stand (it finally failed on a long trip) and didn't really help that much anyway.
With the new stand (an OE replacement) I am careful to add preload on the rear spring when I'm carrying a load and I've had no issues with the stand being to long for the lowered bike.

Reactions: BKP

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
You can also lower the actual seat itself by removing the cover and cutting foam out, if you spend a little time on this you can finish up with a more comfortable seat into the bargain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts